SNY HD?

  • kenlev2002
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
      Home games, shmome games.
      Why aren't we receiving the SNY HD channel. Aren't we supposed to get
      all the HD equivalents of the SD channels we pay for?
    • Scottbusy
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
        It appears that after saying in the past that SNY would do home
        games and select road games in HD they are apparently only doing
        home games in HD. Look, at the press release below announcing a
        deal with RCN cable it specifically says home games. Maybe this is
        why the Cablevision press release said they will show Met home games
        in HD and did not mention road games. See here :

        04/01/2006 10:24 PM ET
        SNY added to RCN Corporation's program lineup
        High-definition Mets games, comprehensive Jets coverage now on
        Channel 33
        SportsNet New York
        NEW YORK, April 1, 2006 -- RCN Corporation (NASDAQ: RCNI), a leading
        provider of triple play cable, high-speed internet and phone
        services, today announced that effective April 1, SportsNet New York
        (SNY), the new 24/7 regional sports network featuring the New York
        Mets and New York Jets, will be added to its program lineup on RCN
        Channel 33.

        "We are thrilled to announce that SportsNet New York will be
        available to RCN customers beginning April 1," said Jon Litner,
        President of SportsNet New York. "We look forward to providing Mets
        games and our compelling blend of 24/7 sports programming to RCN
        customers."

        "We're excited to deliver coverage of the New York Mets and New York
        Jets to fans in the New York market," added RCN Senior Vice
        President & General Manager PK Ramani. "SportsNet New York is a
        valuable addition to RCN's comprehensive sports programming and we
        expect it to be a fan favorite for years to come."

        SportsNet New York will feature up to 125 regular season Mets games,
        pre- and post game shows and several Mets-related programs. As the
        official year-round television home of the New York Jets, SNY will
        also showcase over 230 hours of Jets-related programming content
        including: exclusive in-season and off-season programming with
        unprecedented access to Jets players, coaches and management. In
        addition to its Mets and Jets coverage, SNY will telecast the most
        comprehensive local sports news shows available to the Tri-State
        area through its signature nightly sports news show - SportsNite.
        SNY's SportsNite will provide viewers a thorough mix of local and
        national sports news as well as highlights seven days a week at 6:00
        p.m., 10:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. Viewers can also catch additional
        sports news coverage on Sports New York (Monday-Sunday: 6-10 a.m.,
        Monday-Friday: noon-1 p.m.)

        SportsNet New York will produce all New York Mets home games in a
        high-definition format, offering fans the opportunity to experience
        Mets games like never before - with the highest-quality picture and
        audio available.

        SportsNet New York will also feature other professional and
        collegiate sports, including basketball and football games from the
        Big East and Big Ten conferences, as well as classic sports and
        event programming. In addition, SNY will air exclusive interview and
        magazine programs.

        About RCN Corporation

        RCN Corporation, http://www.rcn.com, is one of the largest
        facilities-based competitive providers of bundled cable, high-speed
        internet and phone services delivered over its own fiber-optic local
        network to residential customers in the most densely populated
        markets in the U.S. RCN Business Solutions is a growing business
        that also provides bulk video, high-capacity and voice services to
        business customers. RCN provides service in the Boston, New York,
        Eastern Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Chicago, San Francisco and
        Los Angeles metropolitan markets.

        About SportsNet New York

        SportsNet New York (SNY), which launched on March 16, 2006, is New
        York's new regional sports network founded by Sterling Entertainment
        Enterprises, Time Warner and Comcast. SNY is a 24/7 regional sports
        and entertainment television network that will feature up to 125
        regular season New York Mets telecasts - as well as provide
        unparalleled live sports and local news coverage to the Tri-State
        area through three nightly "SportsNite" shows and a
        daily "SportsRise" show. SNY will be available to viewers in New
        York, Connecticut, most of New Jersey and northeastern Pennsylvania.
        In addition to Mets games, SNY is also the official year-round
        television home of the New York Jets, providing viewers the most
        exclusive coverage and access to the Jets organization and its
        players. SNY will also televise other professional and collegiate
        sports, including basketball and football games from the Big East
        and Big Ten conferences, as well as classic sports and event
        programming. SNY will also feature exclusive interview and magazine
        programs.

        Copyright © 2006 SNY.
        SNY trademarks and copyrights are the property of SportsNet New
        York, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
        Use of the Website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service
        and Privacy Policy.
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
          I think the jury is still out. SNY might still be negotiating deals with
          other broadcasters to carry games in HD.

          If and when SNY carries select away games in HD I hope that CV carries those
          games as well. It seems reasonable given they do the same thing with YES-HD.

          Before that first SNY HD away game occurs, it's all useless speculation.

        • Scottbusy
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
            I think you are missing the point. In all other press releases from SNY
            they have always said "home games and selected road games in high
            definition". This is the first official press release from SNY that
            says "home games in high definition". This is the first time they did
            not mention selected road games. So this is probably the reason
            Cablevision said they will do home games in HD in their press release.

            --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <daverubin@...> wrote:

            > I think the jury is still out. SNY might still be negotiating deals
            with
            > other broadcasters to carry games in HD.
            >
            > If and when SNY carries select away games in HD I hope that CV carries
            those
            > games as well. It seems reasonable given they do the same thing with
            YES-HD.

            > Before that first SNY HD away game occurs, it's all useless
            speculation.

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
              My point is that it's all speculation. Who knows why this wording was
              changed in the latest press release. It could have simply been an oversight.
              It could be that SNY goofed in their earlier releases and doesn't really
              have an arrangement to carry away games. It could be that they had an
              arrangement but now those "selected" teams are trying to renegotiate. It
              could be they discovered technical issues preventing them from broadcasting
              away games so they are being more cautious now in their public statements.

              Nobody knows. Neither SNY or CV is shedding any light on this. We're all
              just guessing at this point. I would love to see some away games in HD,
              obviously, but I'm not holding my breath. At this point I'm just happy that
              CV is carrying SNY at all.

              I'm much more concerned about the Mets starting pitching than seeing away
              games in HD :)

              _____