Re: [cablevision_digital] Re: Which other cable co's offer HDTV and how much is it ??

  • hdtvinsider
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 1, 2002

      The Empire State Building will soon hold  NYC digital stations transmitters and antenna including WNBC-DT, WABC-DT, WPIX-DT and WNET-DT, in addition to WCBS-DT and WNYW-DT that are currently broadcasting from the ESB. You can see the layout at http://www.atscforum.org/conferences/Mexico/CBS-Seidel.pdf  page 33.

      The  digital stations will be on the air between March 03 and May 03, according to the president of the ABC network. Once up and running, all the major NYC stations will be available in clear, clean digital. The three major networks are broadcasting plenty of primetime and late night HDTV with more to come soon.   The signal will be easily received (by most homes) in Nassau County  with an under $50 antenna (plus wire, mount and install ) and of course, no monthly fee.

      The NJ tower is a long term solution that will likely not be transmitting till the middle of the decade.

    • John Hedger
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 2, 2002

        Ok, perhaps a bit harsh, but that was partially a Sunday morning reaction to a rough Saturday nite.  My point is the content is there, the sheer number of posts in this forum should tell cablevision that the demand is there as well.  What I don't like to see is someone posting "what's all the fuss about there's no content" because that's just misinformation.  I haven't really done the math, but based on my own TV viewing habits, I'm sure at least 75% of what I watch is "available" in HDTV, just not to me.  Obviously, it's not cablevisions fault that the WTC no longer exists, but that's the hand we're dealt and should try to make it work.

         Rick Spanbauer <rick@...> wrote:

        Oh stop ;)  All I expressed was surprise, as a potential HDTV
        set customer myself, at how little content is actually out
        there.  The question about HDnet was genuine, ie wondering if
        any MSO carried them yet..  Rick

        --- In cablevision_digital@y..., John Hedger <pallhedge@y...> wrote:

        > HDNet is currently a DirecTV exclusive.  It's supposed to branch off into 3 separate HD Networks (movies, sports and entertainment, I think) and then market to cable providers.  This is promised to happen by year end.
        > Also, regarding the original post, WB does have some 1080i programming, Fox is marginally worth carrying, UPN not at all.  And FSNY didn't make the list.
        > One more thing, Rick.  Your attitude about the lack of HD offerings is awful.  It's all about the quality -- NOT quantity.  But then of course, "quality" has never been a priorety at CVC, has it?
        >  Rick Spanbauer <rick@c...> wrote:Do any of the cable companies carry HDNet?  Rick

        In an effort to keep posts readable, please **trim** any extraneous previous messages/text from your posts before making a reply.  This reduces clutter & makes your post clear & easy to read.  Thank you!

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • John Hedger

          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 2, 2002

            "Interesting presentation.  Curious where you got the statement from ABC about the timing of the digital stations coming on line."

             I received the ABC information from ABC president Preston Davis, a few weeks ago. The project requires a device called a combiner. Other participating stations have indicated to me that this time frame is the goal. Of course, as with any construction project, and  with many parties participating, no date can be set in stone.

            Gary

          • MjPhil
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 3, 2002
              "The signal will be easily received (by most homes) in Nassau County
              with an under $50 antenna (plus wire, mount and install ) and of
              course, no monthly fee."

              Of course, those of you in Suffolk can go pound sand...
            • shady_bimmer
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 3, 2002
                Wife? :)

              • troycauble <troycauble@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 22, 2002
                  --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "imbeldar" <imbeldar@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Read it and weep. We're last again.
                  >
                  > http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=188007

                  We have CV in Monmouth County, NJ, where most other towns have
                  Comcast. Our Comcast neighbors have had Digital Cable for about two
                  years. Now that we can finally get DC, they're getting HDTV for free.

                  tlc