Re: Well Guys, It likes like we all have some hope

  • local94engineer
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 2, 2002
      Scott,
      Your Sony already has an HDTV tuner for over the air HDTV signals, is
      this correct?. With what Wilt just said about the propose HDTV
      service, any of the Sony XBR's with the iLink port will receive the
      HDTV channels, so for me, I think my new TV decission has just been
      made for me.
      Let see how my xmas bonus is, lol.

      Peter

    • scottbusy
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 2, 2002
        Peter,

        Be careful which Sony you buy. There are 3 XBR2's. I believe there
        is a 34XBR2 a 57XBR2 and the 65XBR2. These three sets are full
        HDTV's with the integrated tuner built in. They also have the i-
        link port. That means you can hookup an OTA antenna to receive HDTV
        channels over the air. Right now I have a Radio Shack Bow Tie
        antenna hooked up directly to the TV so I can receive WCBS-DT and
        channels 5 and 9 over the air. The TV has the HDTV decoder built in
        so you can receive these channels as well as the three Cablevision
        8VSB by hooking them up directly to the HDTV. You do not need an
        outside decoder because the TV has the decoder built in.

        The 34XBR2 also have the 1394 port which is also called firewire and
        i-link. Right now I have the 1394 port hooked up to my iO box and
        can watch all channels on the box on the 1394 line. According to
        what Wilt is saying we will be able to see the 256QAM HDTV channels
        when the system starts to carry them through the 1394 port on the
        Sony iO box connected to the i-link port on the 34XBR2. Also
        Mitsubishi makes several HDTV's with the 1394 port.

        If you want to use the 1394 from the iO Sony box do not buy the
        XBR800 series. These sets do not have the integrated HDTV tuner
        built in. They have component and DVI. This means you need an
        outside decoder to receive HDTV programming. These sets are not
        considered full HDTV's and are considered HDTV ready. You will
        have to wait for the S-A box to connect to the 34XBR800 by
        connecting it through either component or DVI. The S-A iO box will
        serve as your decoder. You cannot receive OTA channels with the S-A
        iO box, you would need another decoder. Hopefully Cablevision will
        give us all the OTA stations so an OTA antenna would not be needed
        anyway.

        In short, I have the Sony 34XBR2 now. It is a great HDTV. The
        picture quality is incredible. I am also looking at adding another
        HDTV so I will probably split the baby and get a 34XBR800. The
        34XBR800 I will wait on until I can get a iO S-A box. I also want
        to see how the standard thing sorts out.

        If you are in a Sony area right now you would need the 34XBR2 to use
        the Sony iO box to get HDTV now. According to Wilt you will be able
        to get it from any component set when the development work is done
        and you can get an iO S-A box. Incidentally, the 34XBR2 can handle
        component, as well. So it will be able to use either the Sony iO
        box using 1394 or the S-A iO box using component. Since the XBR2
        has the HDTV decoder built in it is much more expensive than the
        34XBR800. Probably about a $1,000-1,200 difference. It is a
        personal preference of which to buy.

        I hope this helps,

        Scott

        --- In cablevision_digital@y..., "local94engineer" <pgorry@o...>

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 2, 2002
          Scott, nice reply, I follow what your saying, but if I have followed
          Wilt's post, I dont need the **XBR2's. Thats for decoding UHF HDTV
          signals, he has mentioned that CV will be providing or transporting
          the HDTV signal via VHF and the Sony box will do the decoding and
          send the signal out via the iLink port.

          So the XBR800 will work just fine for me, as long as I dont want OTA
          signals.

          How am I doing understanding this?

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 2, 2002
            Peter,

            No, No No. :-)

            The 34XBR800 has no 1394 port, so you cannot hook up the Sony iO box
            to it. The only input it has for HDTV is component and DVI. If you
            want this set it is a great set. I will probably buy this one as my
            second HDTV. However, it will only work with the new iO S-A boxes.
            The S-A box is an HDTV decoder and will pass the signal along
            through the component output. The Sony iO box is not a decoder it
            simply passes the signals through, and must be hooked up to a TV
            with the decoder built in. The corresponding TV must have 1394
            input to hook up to the Sony iO box.

            In short, the 34XBR800 has no 1394 and will not work with the Sony
            iO box. You would need the S-A iO box with either component or DVI
            output. The 34XBR800 only has component and DVI. The 34XBR2 has
            component and 1394. You must have an integrated decoder built in to
            use 1394. That is why the 34XBR800 is cheaper and has no decoder
            built in. Remember, the XBR2 is an HDTV because the decoder is
            built in. The XBR800 is an HDTV ready set because it has no decoder
            built in.

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 2, 2002
              Damn, I thought I had it there,,,,,,,,,,, well back to the drawing
              board.

              Thanks Scott