Re: Well Guys, It likes like we all have some hope

  • jlangweil
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 31, 2002
      What new Sony boxes are you referring to? Link please. :)

      --- In cablevision_digital@y..., "ampbouy1" <ampbouy1@a...> wrote:
      > As of today, it would appear that the proposed EchostarDirecTV
      merger
      > is pretty much dead. Around 11:30 this AM, the DOJ issued a
      > statement which echoed (bad oun intended) the FCC's sentiments:
      > basically, NO Merger! At about 4:30PM, Mr. Ergen (Echostar)
      released
      > a statement that reads like a concssion speech.
      >
      > This is good new for us CV customers, as part of Echostar's last
      > ditch effort to save the merger, included a plan for Echostar to
      sell
      > CV a bunch of satellite spectrum. CV was planning on spending
      > HUNDREDS of millions of dollars. Well, hopefully, Mr. Dolan will
      now
      > redirect some of that cash OUR way, in continuing to roll out IO,
      > OOL, and start some HDTV offerings.
      >
      > This, plus the news of NEW Sony boxes makes me a little warm and
      > fuzzy tonight.
      >
      > Rich B.
    • shady_bimmer
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2002
        Sheesh. This was JUST mentioned only two days ago (Doesn't anybody
        read before posting?)

        It sounds to me like it is NOT a new box but rather just a new
        revision of the same box we all have already (Scottbusy - since you
        have both boxes can you confirm the model numbers are the same?). No
        need for everyone to get excited - the biggest difference is the
        newer boxes don't appear to have a fan. That's it. The funny thing
        is that Wilt mentioned several months ago that CV was working on a
        solution for the noisy fan. Here ya go - CV actually delivered
        something they said they would :)

        They do appear to be delivered with a newer version of firmware but
        Wilt already mentioned that this version will be rolled out
        everywhere (but no schedule was mentioned) anyway.

        (Needing another mug of coffee this morning. . .)

        --- In cablevision_digital@y..., "jlangweil" <trekkerj@i...> wrote:
        > What new Sony boxes are you referring to? Link please. :)

      • scottbusy
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2002
          No one ever said, including Wilt, that this was a new box. This is
          a redesigned Sony box with new firmware on it. The new boxes with
          be the S-A boxes.

          Scott

          -- In cablevision_digital@y..., "shady_bimmer" <shady_bimmer@w...>
          wrote:
          > Sheesh. This was JUST mentioned only two days ago (Doesn't
          anybody
          > read before posting?)
          >
          > It sounds to me like it is NOT a new box but rather just a new
          > revision of the same box we all have already (Scottbusy - since
          you
          > have both boxes can you confirm the model numbers are the same?).
          No
          > need for everyone to get excited - the biggest difference is the
          > newer boxes don't appear to have a fan. That's it. The funny
          thing
          > is that Wilt mentioned several months ago that CV was working on a
          > solution for the noisy fan. Here ya go - CV actually delivered
          > something they said they would :)
          >
          > They do appear to be delivered with a newer version of firmware
          but
          > Wilt already mentioned that this version will be rolled out
          > everywhere (but no schedule was mentioned) anyway.
          >
          > (Needing another mug of coffee this morning. . .)
          >
          > --- In cablevision_digital@y..., "jlangweil" <trekkerj@i...> wrote:
          > > What new Sony boxes are you referring to? Link please. :)

        • Wilt Hildenbrand
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 1, 2002
             There will be SA boxes with component out for HD, as well as, by rule at some point, boxes with DVI and/or 1394--along with required and proper copy protection.

             There will be development work necessary to get the SA's to run in the Sony areas, but it *will* be done.

             The Sony's, however, *will* pass HD through on their 1394's once we move the signals from 8VSB to 256QAM. (for those of you with 1934 capable sets)

             I've not done that yet because we've been both waiting to get a component capable box and waiting for the standards to sort themselves out a bit.

             Again, no dates today, but it *is* coming relatively soon.
             Wilt

            wrote:
            > Sheesh.  This was JUST mentioned only two days ago (Doesn't
            anybody
            > read before posting?)
            >
            > It sounds to me like it is NOT a new box but rather just a new
            > revision of the same box we all have already (Scottbusy - since
            you
            > have both boxes can you confirm the model numbers are the same?).
            No
            > need for everyone to get excited - the biggest difference is the
            > newer boxes don't appear to have a fan.  That's it.  The funny
            thing
            > is that Wilt mentioned several months ago that CV was working on a
            > solution for the noisy fan.  Here ya go - CV actually delivered
            > something they said they would :)
            >
            > They do appear to be delivered with a newer version of firmware
            but
            > Wilt already mentioned that this version will be rolled out
            > everywhere (but no schedule was mentioned) anyway.
            >
            > (Needing another mug of coffee this morning. . .)
            >
            > --- In cablevision_digital@y..., "jlangweil" <trekkerj@i...> wrote:
            > > What new Sony boxes are you referring to?  Link please. :)

            In an effort to keep posts readable, please **trim** any extraneous previous messages/text from your posts before making a reply.  This reduces clutter & makes your post clear & easy to read.  Thank you!

          • shady_bimmer
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 1, 2002
              My point exactly - which is why people shouldn't be getting excited
              over this. . .

              --- In cablevision_digital@y..., "scottbusy" <sgbusy@o...> wrote:
              > No one ever said, including Wilt, that this was a new box. This is
              > a redesigned Sony box with new firmware on it. The new boxes with
              > be the S-A boxes.
            • djloot
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 1, 2002
                --- In cablevision_digital@y..., Wilt Hildenbrand <wilth@o...> wrote:
                > There will be SA boxes with component out for HD, as well as, by
                rule at
                > some point, boxes with DVI and/or 1394--along with required and
                proper copy
                > protection.
                >
                > There will be development work necessary to get the SA's to run
                in the Sony
                > areas, but it *will* be done.
                >
                > The Sony's, however, *will* pass HD through on their 1394's once
                we move
                > the signals from 8VSB to 256QAM. (for those of you with 1934
                capable sets)

                > I've not done that yet because we've been both waiting to get a
                component
                > capable box and waiting for the standards to sort themselves out a
                bit.

                Will this box be an HDTV decoder as well, capable of 1080i output
                (or auto-resize output) or do I still need to get a HDTV decoder for
                an HDTV ready tv?

                > Again, no dates today, but it *is* coming relatively soon.
                > Wilt

                Relatively being within 3 months? 6 months? 1 year?

                Service.
              • Wilt Hildenbrand
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 1, 2002
                  Well let's see:
                   1) I don't want to be any more specific right now, sorry,
                   2) If you have a monitor with the proper inputs/outputs--in this case at least component--the box is all you'll need to tune signals carried on the cable system in the *cable* format, that is, 256 QAM. If, for whatever reason, there are HDTV signals that are being transmitted over-the-air, that we're not carrying on the cable system, you will *not* be able to tune those without a separate tuner.
                   #2 can be a bit confusing because of all the terminology. Think of it this way:
                    A. Cable is analogous to VHF
                    B. Over-the-air is analogous to UHF
                    C. Cable HDTV box tunes VHF only,
                    D. UHF signals, if any, will require a UHF tuner.
                   Got it?
                   Let me know,
                   Wilt
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 1, 2002
                    Wilt, that's to be expected; I wouldn't expect a cable box to pick up OTA programming.

                    Can I ask this: will CV carry the local networks HD programming? In that case, we wouldn't need an external tuner (although I'll probably get an HDTV PCI card so I can use my PC for PVR duties).

                    Steve
                    --
                    Steve Wechsler - smw@...

                    "The Internet? We are not interested in it"
                    -- Bill Gates, 1993

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 1, 2002
                        Wilt, forgive me for this question, I'm still grapling with
                        computers, but if I understand you correctly, with my current iO Sony
                        digital box I will be able to receive any future HDTV programming by
                        Cablevision. The link between the Sony box and the HDTV will be via
                        the iLink port. Is this a fair understanding.

                        Thanks
                        Peter

                      • imbeldar
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 1, 2002
                          --- In cablevision_digital@y..., Wilt Hildenbrand <wilth@o...> wrote:

                          > There will be development work necessary to get the SA's to run in
                          the Sony areas, but it *will* be done.

                          Wilt,

                          Does this mean that there will be a delayed introduction of the SA
                          boxes in the "Sony" areas or do you expect the development work to be
                          completed before HD service becomes available?

                          Thanks.

                        • Wilt Hildenbrand
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 1, 2002
                            Re: [cablevision_digital] Re: Well Guys, It likes like we all have some hope Pretty much, that’s correct. Why the qualifier? Because the Sony box is/was designed to merely pass-through HDTV not overlay menus or the like on the signal.
                            Simply put, it won’t be any more than a digital video tuner in the case of HD, but it does—we’ve tested it—tune and display HDTV signals on a properly connectorized set.
                             Wilt
                            On 11/1/02 8:08 PM, "local94engineer" <pgorry@...> wrote:

                            Wilt, forgive me for this question, I'm still grapling with
                            computers, but if I understand you correctly, with my current iO Sony
                            digital box I will be able to receive any future HDTV programming by
                            Cablevision. The link between the Sony box and the HDTV will be via
                            the iLink port. Is this a fair understanding.

                            Thanks
                            Peter

                            --- In cablevision_digital@y..., Wilt Hildenbrand <wilth@o...> wrote:
                            > Well let's see:
                            >  1) I don't want to be any more specific right now, sorry,
                            >  2) If you have a monitor with the proper inputs/outputs--in this
                            case at
                            > least component--the box is all you'll need to tune signals carried
                            on the
                            > cable system in the *cable* format, that is, 256 QAM. If, for
                            whatever
                            > reason, there are HDTV signals that are being transmitted over-the-
                            air, that
                            > we're not carrying on the cable system, you will *not* be able to
                            tune those
                            > without a separate tuner.
                            >  #2 can be a bit confusing because of all the terminology. Think of
                            it this
                            > way:
                            >   A. Cable is analogous to VHF
                            >   B. Over-the-air is analogous to UHF
                            >   C. Cable HDTV box tunes VHF only,
                            >   D. UHF signals, if any, will require a UHF tuner.
                            >  Got it?
                            >  Let me know,
                            >  Wilt

                            Service.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 1, 2002
                              Re: [cablevision_digital] Re: Well Guys, It likes like we all have some hope I think that’s somewhat accurate, but we’re working to make it as short a delay as possible.
                               Wilt

                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 1, 2002
                                Wilt, qualfing with you because as much as I read this group and
                                everyone's post about this subject, I sometimes get confused with all
                                the Tech jargon.

                                Thanks for the info and clarification.

                                Regards
                                Peter

                                --- In cablevision_digital@y..., Wilt Hildenbrand <wilth@o...> wrote:
                                > Pretty much, that¹s correct. Why the qualifier? Because the Sony
                                box is/was
                                > designed to merely pass-through HDTV not overlay menus or the like
                                on the
                                > signal.
                                > Simply put, it won¹t be any more than a digital video tuner in the
                                case of
                                > HD, but it does‹we¹ve tested it‹tune and display HDTV signals on a
                                properly
                                > connectorized set.
                                > Wilt
                                > On 11/1/02 8:08 PM, "local94engineer" <pgorry@o...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Wilt, forgive me for this question, I'm still grapling with
                                > > computers, but if I understand you correctly, with my current iO
                                Sony
                                > > digital box I will be able to receive any future HDTV programming
                                by
                                > > Cablevision. The link between the Sony box and the HDTV will be
                                via
                                > > the iLink port. Is this a fair understanding.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks
                                > > Peter
                                > >
                                > > --- In cablevision_digital@y..., Wilt Hildenbrand <wilth@o...>
                                > > case at
                                > > on the
                                > > whatever
                                > > air, that
                                > > tune those
                                Think of
                                > > it this

                                This
                                > > reduces

                                > > Service.
                                > >

                                > > In an effort to keep posts readable, please **trim** any
                                extraneous previous
                                > > messages/text from your posts before making a reply. This
                                reduces clutter &
                                > > makes your post clear & easy to read. Thank you!

                                Service
                                > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                              • Wilt Hildenbrand
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 2, 2002

                                  No, I meant why did *I* add the qualifier to *my* answer. ;-) (I was explaining why I said “pretty much” versus just “yes”)

                                   I understood your issue.

                                   Thanks,

                                   Wilt

                                  Wilt, qualfing with you because as much as I read this group and
                                  everyone's post about this subject, I sometimes get confused with all
                                  the Tech jargon.

                                  Thanks for the info and clarification.

                                  Regards
                                  Peter

                                  --- In cablevision_digital@y..., Wilt Hildenbrand <wilth@o...> wrote:
                                  > Pretty much, that¹s correct. Why the qualifier? Because the Sony
                                  box is/was
                                  > designed to merely pass-through HDTV not overlay menus or the like
                                  on the
                                  > signal.
                                  > Simply put, it won¹t be any more than a digital video tuner in the
                                  case of
                                  > HD, but it does‹we¹ve tested it‹tune and display HDTV signals on a
                                  properly
                                  > connectorized set.
                                  >  Wilt
                                  > On 11/1/02 8:08 PM, "local94engineer" <pgorry@o...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Wilt, forgive me for this question, I'm still grapling with
                                  > > computers, but if I understand you correctly, with my current iO
                                  Sony
                                  > > digital box I will be able to receive any future HDTV programming
                                  by
                                  > > Cablevision. The link between the Sony box and the HDTV will be
                                  via
                                  > > the iLink port. Is this a fair understanding.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks
                                  > > Peter
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In cablevision_digital@y..., Wilt Hildenbrand <wilth@o...>
                                  > > case at
                                  > > on the
                                  > > whatever
                                  > > air, that
                                  > > tune those
                                  Think of
                                  > > it this

                                  This

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 2, 2002
                                    I currently have the Sony 34XBR2 which has the 1394 input. I have
                                    the firewire hooked up to the 1394 port right now. It currently
                                    passes through all digital and analog signals to the set. The
                                    reception on these channels is quite good. I will be able to see
                                    if I can get the HD channels through the Sony box when the 256QAM
                                    signals start coming through.

                                    Scott

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 2, 2002
                                      Scott,
                                      Your Sony already has an HDTV tuner for over the air HDTV signals, is
                                      this correct?. With what Wilt just said about the propose HDTV
                                      service, any of the Sony XBR's with the iLink port will receive the
                                      HDTV channels, so for me, I think my new TV decission has just been
                                      made for me.
                                      Let see how my xmas bonus is, lol.

                                      Peter

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 2, 2002
                                        Peter,

                                        Be careful which Sony you buy. There are 3 XBR2's. I believe there
                                        is a 34XBR2 a 57XBR2 and the 65XBR2. These three sets are full
                                        HDTV's with the integrated tuner built in. They also have the i-
                                        link port. That means you can hookup an OTA antenna to receive HDTV
                                        channels over the air. Right now I have a Radio Shack Bow Tie
                                        antenna hooked up directly to the TV so I can receive WCBS-DT and
                                        channels 5 and 9 over the air. The TV has the HDTV decoder built in
                                        so you can receive these channels as well as the three Cablevision
                                        8VSB by hooking them up directly to the HDTV. You do not need an
                                        outside decoder because the TV has the decoder built in.

                                        The 34XBR2 also have the 1394 port which is also called firewire and
                                        i-link. Right now I have the 1394 port hooked up to my iO box and
                                        can watch all channels on the box on the 1394 line. According to
                                        what Wilt is saying we will be able to see the 256QAM HDTV channels
                                        when the system starts to carry them through the 1394 port on the
                                        Sony iO box connected to the i-link port on the 34XBR2. Also
                                        Mitsubishi makes several HDTV's with the 1394 port.

                                        If you want to use the 1394 from the iO Sony box do not buy the
                                        XBR800 series. These sets do not have the integrated HDTV tuner
                                        built in. They have component and DVI. This means you need an
                                        outside decoder to receive HDTV programming. These sets are not
                                        considered full HDTV's and are considered HDTV ready. You will
                                        have to wait for the S-A box to connect to the 34XBR800 by
                                        connecting it through either component or DVI. The S-A iO box will
                                        serve as your decoder. You cannot receive OTA channels with the S-A
                                        iO box, you would need another decoder. Hopefully Cablevision will
                                        give us all the OTA stations so an OTA antenna would not be needed
                                        anyway.

                                        In short, I have the Sony 34XBR2 now. It is a great HDTV. The
                                        picture quality is incredible. I am also looking at adding another
                                        HDTV so I will probably split the baby and get a 34XBR800. The
                                        34XBR800 I will wait on until I can get a iO S-A box. I also want
                                        to see how the standard thing sorts out.

                                        If you are in a Sony area right now you would need the 34XBR2 to use
                                        the Sony iO box to get HDTV now. According to Wilt you will be able
                                        to get it from any component set when the development work is done
                                        and you can get an iO S-A box. Incidentally, the 34XBR2 can handle
                                        component, as well. So it will be able to use either the Sony iO
                                        box using 1394 or the S-A iO box using component. Since the XBR2
                                        has the HDTV decoder built in it is much more expensive than the
                                        34XBR800. Probably about a $1,000-1,200 difference. It is a
                                        personal preference of which to buy.

                                        I hope this helps,

                                        Scott

                                        --- In cablevision_digital@y..., "local94engineer" <pgorry@o...>

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 2, 2002
                                          Scott, nice reply, I follow what your saying, but if I have followed
                                          Wilt's post, I dont need the **XBR2's. Thats for decoding UHF HDTV
                                          signals, he has mentioned that CV will be providing or transporting
                                          the HDTV signal via VHF and the Sony box will do the decoding and
                                          send the signal out via the iLink port.

                                          So the XBR800 will work just fine for me, as long as I dont want OTA
                                          signals.

                                          How am I doing understanding this?

                                          Thanks
                                          Peter

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 2, 2002
                                            Peter,

                                            No, No No. :-)

                                            The 34XBR800 has no 1394 port, so you cannot hook up the Sony iO box
                                            to it. The only input it has for HDTV is component and DVI. If you
                                            want this set it is a great set. I will probably buy this one as my
                                            second HDTV. However, it will only work with the new iO S-A boxes.
                                            The S-A box is an HDTV decoder and will pass the signal along
                                            through the component output. The Sony iO box is not a decoder it
                                            simply passes the signals through, and must be hooked up to a TV
                                            with the decoder built in. The corresponding TV must have 1394
                                            input to hook up to the Sony iO box.

                                            In short, the 34XBR800 has no 1394 and will not work with the Sony
                                            iO box. You would need the S-A iO box with either component or DVI
                                            output. The 34XBR800 only has component and DVI. The 34XBR2 has
                                            component and 1394. You must have an integrated decoder built in to
                                            use 1394. That is why the 34XBR800 is cheaper and has no decoder
                                            built in. Remember, the XBR2 is an HDTV because the decoder is
                                            built in. The XBR800 is an HDTV ready set because it has no decoder
                                            built in.

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 2, 2002
                                              Damn, I thought I had it there,,,,,,,,,,, well back to the drawing
                                              board.

                                              Thanks Scott

                                              Peter