Re: DVI Cable?

  • arubertd
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
      Thanks all for the recommendations, my buddy is returning the $100
      cable he got at BB.

      -Andy

      --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "arubertd"
      <arubertd@y...> wrote:

      Someone once posted here a website with reasonably priced DVI cables.
      Would you mind posting that again? I can't find it in the archives.

      Thanks very much,

      -Andy
    • airman962000
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2004
        I was wondering if anybody has any experience with digital VHS, JVC
        HM-DH4000U in particular. I have older Sony cable box with Firewire
        output and was hoping to be able to watch and record programs over
        it. B&H has those decks for $499 and it seems to be least expensive
        way to record HD programing and the only way to purchase prerecorded
        HD movies. Yes I also thought VHS was dead but Blue Ray DVD's are at
        least a year away and I want my HD now. The hard drive based
        recorders seem to be limited in space since HD uses 9GB per hour and
        is twice as expensive.
      • seldenpat
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2004
          I have two Sony Cable boxes and two HM-H40000U's and the combo
          provides me exceptionally stable HD recording via firewire of HD
          content. You will not be disappointed. D-VHS is NOTHING like analog
          VHS.

          --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "airman962000"
          <airman962000@y...> wrote:

          > I was wondering if anybody has any experience with digital VHS, JVC
          > HM-DH4000U in particular. I have older Sony cable box with Firewire
          > output and was hoping to be able to watch and record programs over
          > it. B&H has those decks for $499 and it seems to be least expensive
          > way to record HD programing and the only way to purchase
          prerecorded
          > HD movies. Yes I also thought VHS was dead but Blue Ray DVD's are
          at
          > least a year away and I want my HD now. The hard drive based
          > recorders seem to be limited in space since HD uses 9GB per hour
          and
          > is twice as expensive.
        • airman962000
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 5, 2004
            Thanks for the info. So you've got 2 of them? Wow. Now I can't wait
            to finish my work and get home to play with the setup after getting
            D-VHS. I have my HDTV for almost a week now and no HD signal yet.
            Have you tried to hook VHS to computer yet? I downloaded some sample
            HD demo movies from Microsoft and would like to record it to the
            tape to calibrate the system and have something to show off in HD if
            guests come over LOL. As a matter of fact I need to convince myself
            that after spending so much money it was worth it. BTW I need to
            make a comment about movie studios: They are out of they freaking
            minds. There are few trailers (short 2 min HD commercials)of some
            new released movies on Microsoft site. Guess what? Some are DRM
            protected so my computer wanted to access the Internet to get
            permission to play it. Now I can understand full movie etc. But the
            commercial? They're paying huge amounts of money to advertise those
            and they're protecting it from unauthorized viewing. No thank you, I
            deleted those without watching. But there are few unprotected
            trailers really looking good on computer monitor, I may want to buy
            the whole movies. Thanks again.

            --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "seldenpat"
            <phashimo@o...> wrote:

            > I have two Sony Cable boxes and two HM-H40000U's and the combo
            > provides me exceptionally stable HD recording via firewire of HD
            > content. You will not be disappointed. D-VHS is NOTHING like
            analog
            > VHS.
            >
            > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "airman962000"
            > <airman962000@y...> wrote:
            > >

            > > I was wondering if anybody has any experience with digital VHS,
            JVC
            > > HM-DH4000U in particular. I have older Sony cable box with
            Firewire
            > > output and was hoping to be able to watch and record programs
            over
            > > it. B&H has those decks for $499 and it seems to be least
            expensive
            > > way to record HD programing and the only way to purchase
            > prerecorded
            > > HD movies. Yes I also thought VHS was dead but Blue Ray DVD's
            are
            > at
            > > least a year away and I want my HD now. The hard drive based
            > > recorders seem to be limited in space since HD uses 9GB per hour
            > and
            > > is twice as expensive.
          • Ed Betty
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004
              "I downloaded some sample
              HD demo movies from Microsoft and would like to record it to the
              tape to calibrate the system and have something to show off in HD if
              guests come over LOL."

              The demo's on the Microsoft site are in WMV-HD format. Transferring these files to D-VHS tape will not make them playable in your D-VHS deck.

              Ed Betty

              <phashimo@o...> wrote:

              > I have two Sony Cable boxes and two HM-H40000U's and the combo
              > provides me exceptionally stable HD recording via firewire of HD
              > content. You will not be disappointed. D-VHS is NOTHING like
              analog
              > VHS.
              >
              > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "airman962000"
              > <airman962000@y...> wrote:
              > >

              > > I was wondering if anybody has any experience with digital VHS,
              JVC
              > > HM-DH4000U in particular. I have older Sony cable box with
              Firewire
              > > output and was hoping to be able to watch and record programs
              over
              > > it. B&H has those decks for $499 and it seems to be least
              expensive
              > > way to record HD programing and the only way to purchase
              > prerecorded
              > > HD movies. Yes I also thought VHS was dead but Blue Ray DVD's
              are
              > at
              > > least a year away and I want my HD now. The hard drive based
              > > recorders seem to be limited in space since HD uses 9GB per hour
              > and
              > > is twice as expensive.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • airman962000
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004
                I know they are in WMV format. What I didn't know is that it seems
                there is no software to recode from WMV to MPEG2. I'm thinking of
                building AV computer anyway so I can play WMV on my TV directly,
                especially if there will be more material available in that format.
                I think WMV codec is part of the specs for the new Blue RAY DVD
                format coming out next year along with MPEG4. It may be no issue as
                well since some of those trailers are available as full featured
                movies on D-VHS so I can buy them without any hassle (albeit no one
                has them locally and would need to order on the internet). I believe
                Storm Chasers will be broadcasted tonight on 701. It also seems that
                at this particular time getting HD TV is only part of the package
                and it really looks like custom build PC is the best way to go to
                have most flexible system, at least for another year or so.

                --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, Ed Betty <edbetty@o...>