Re: New Digital Cable Cards from Cablevision

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
      I can't believe that cablevision has the balls to charge 1.25 a
      month for a conditional access card (that probably costs them about
      $5 in quantity, if that) to see the programming you are already
      being charged to see. I can understand charging $3-4 a month for a
      $250-300 box, but a charge for just the card (especially after they
      charge you for over 1 set in the house) is obscene!

      -Michael

      --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "local94engineer"
      <pgorry@o...> wrote:
      > Beginning July 1, 2004 customers who own a Digital Cable Ready
      > Television with built-in CableCARD technology will have the option
      > receive iO Digital programming without the use of a Digital Cable
      > Box. Cablevision leases CableCARDS for $1.25 a month. CableCARDs
      are
      > not available for purchase.
      >
      > Customers who choose not to lease a Digital Cable Box will not be
      > able to receive any of iO's advanced features such as the
      interactive
      > program guide, access to video on demand movies, or subscription
      > video on demand services like HBO on demand.
      >
      > To order a CableCARD, call 1-888-363-4448 to schedule a
      professional
      > installation.
      >
      > ps: What TV's do these cards work in????
      >
      > Peter
    • arthurvino
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2004
        Agreed. RIP OFF.. Those ares costs LES than $5.. Just ask your
        Credit card ocmpany what their cards costs..
        Those cablecards should be FREE, or at least hide the costs in the
        regular monthly bills for all..

        --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mw11566@o...>
        wrote:
        > I can't believe that cablevision has the balls to charge 1.25 a
        > month for a conditional access card (that probably costs them
        about
        > $5 in quantity, if that) to see the programming you are already
        > being charged to see. I can understand charging $3-4 a month for a
        > $250-300 box, but a charge for just the card (especially after
        they
        > charge you for over 1 set in the house) is obscene!
        >
        > -Michael
        >

        > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "local94engineer"
        > <pgorry@o...> wrote:
        > > Beginning July 1, 2004 customers who own a Digital Cable Ready
        > > Television with built-in CableCARD technology will have the
        option
        > > receive iO Digital programming without the use of a Digital
        Cable
        > > Box. Cablevision leases CableCARDS for $1.25 a month. CableCARDs
        > are
        > > not available for purchase.
        > >
        > > Customers who choose not to lease a Digital Cable Box will not
        be
        > > able to receive any of iO's advanced features such as the
        > interactive
        > > program guide, access to video on demand movies, or subscription
        > > video on demand services like HBO on demand.
        > >
        > > To order a CableCARD, call 1-888-363-4448 to schedule a
        > professional
        > > installation.
        > >
        > > ps: What TV's do these cards work in????
        > >
        > > Peter
      • Stanley Sidlov
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 8, 2004
          On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 14:32:34 -0000, arthurvino wrote:

          >Agreed. RIP OFF.. Those ares costs LES than $5.. Just ask your
          >Credit card ocmpany what their cards costs..
          > Those cablecards should be FREE, or at least hide the costs in the
          >regular monthly bills for all..

          We've discussed this before, the cards are not a buck, they are not plastic, they are
          electronic devices that are mfg'ed. They are going to have a VERY SHORT LIFESPAN as
          version 2 which will allow bidirectional services such as VOD.

          CV's charges are in line or below others in the industry. See the Thread "USA Today on
          Cable Ready Digital TVs" from late June and early July 2004.

          MSG-28038 in that thread:

          "The alliance plans to bow its CableCARD within 12 months using NDS' VideoGuard
          conditional access system. Under the joint venture, InteracTek will supply its software
          engineering and design acumen, and Nasco will manufacture the devices in Korea and supply
          sales and marketing support both in Korea and the U.S. The companies said the final
          product should sell for less than $20 per unit." [ in quantities of 1 million]
          http://www.cedmagazine.com/cedailydirect/2004/0304/cedaily040315.htm"

          CV is NOT going to purchase a million of them, so the price would be higher.
          Stan Sidlov
          --
          http://www.warpstock.org

          Warpstock 2004 will be in Denver, Colorado! October 21-24, what are you doing that weekend?
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8, 2004
            That is not correct, it is a conditional access card ala a direct tv
            card. In fact, these cards need even less memory than a direct tv
            card since they will be wired into the network. And as for cvc not
            purchasing a million of them, they also don't have to purchase a
            cable box to lease to me either.

            --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Stanley Sidlov"
            <stanleys@c...> wrote:
            > On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 14:32:34 -0000, arthurvino wrote:
            >
            > >Agreed. RIP OFF.. Those ares costs LES than $5.. Just ask your
            > >Credit card ocmpany what their cards costs..
            > > Those cablecards should be FREE, or at least hide the costs in
            the
            > >regular monthly bills for all..
            > >

            > We've discussed this before, the cards are not a buck, they are
            not plastic, they are
            > electronic devices that are mfg'ed. They are going to have a VERY
            SHORT LIFESPAN as
            > version 2 which will allow bidirectional services such as VOD.
            >
            > CV's charges are in line or below others in the industry. See the
            Thread "USA Today on
            > Cable Ready Digital TVs" from late June and early July 2004.
            >
            > MSG-28038 in that thread:
            >
            > "The alliance plans to bow its CableCARD within 12 months using
            NDS' VideoGuard
            > conditional access system. Under the joint venture, InteracTek
            will supply its software
            > engineering and design acumen, and Nasco will manufacture the
            devices in Korea and supply
            > sales and marketing support both in Korea and the U.S. The
            companies said the final
            > product should sell for less than $20 per unit." [ in quantities
            of 1 million]

            http://www.cedmagazine.com/cedailydirect/2004/0304/cedaily040315.htm"

            > CV is NOT going to purchase a million of them, so the price would
            be higher.
            > Stan Sidlov
            > --
            > http://www.warpstock.org
            >
            > Warpstock 2004 will be in Denver, Colorado! October 21-24, what
            are you doing that weekend?
          • pcm971
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9, 2004
              A CableCard is not a smart card. It is in the same form factor as a
              PCMCIA type II card, with several components on an internal circuit
              board. The CableCard not only supplies the conditional access, but
              also decryption and network processing.

              You can see Motorola's card at
              http://broadband.motorola.com/catalog/productdetail.asp?productID=361