Re: INFO and Guide button question....

  • pcm971
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2004
      Don't get too greedy going after the grass on TWC boxes. They
      announced a few months ago that they were going to phase-out both
      Pioneer Passport and SARA guides system wide for an in house "Time
      Warner Cable Digital Navigator." Additioinally, the SARA guide, which
      CV uses is native to the box and only requires program data, while I
      believe the Pioneer system is externally resident, and requires more
      system overhead, like the Sony system.

      --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Raicovi"

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1292ol3b7/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr

      oups/S=1705035291:HM/EXP=1091300817/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
      > anion.yahoo.com> click here

      > :HM/A=2128215/rand=397583341>
      >
      > _____
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Vincent Raicovi
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2004
        I really wasn't singing the praises of the TWC boxes, only that they seemed
        to have a more polished interface. Obviously, the cost benefit wasn't there
        and that explains them moving it in-house. My main point was when you click
        info, you see the whole description, not an abbreviated one...

        _____

        <vraicovi@o...> wrote:
        > The only way I've found to get the whole description is to go into the
        > guide, highlight the program and hit info. You would think that CV
        would
        > have had the interface programmed this way, especially when you have to
        > click it twice to get a description. I know that CV uses someone
        else to
        > program their boxes, but whoever is doing the TWC boxes in Queens got it
        > right. They also seem to be able to squeeze a higher resolution out
        of the
        > Explorer boxes, similar to that of the Sony's.
        >
        > _____

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1297g26o5/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705035291:HM/EXP=1091485830/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
        anion.yahoo.com> click here

        :HM/A=2128215/rand=158407208>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • ranger96
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2004
          I noticed that to, the TWC SA Box on screen graphics do look better
          more smooth and high resloution.

          <vraicovi@o...> wrote:
          > I really wasn't singing the praises of the TWC boxes, only that they
          seemed
          > to have a more polished interface.
        • swaqieu
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2004
            You are correct!
            I tested it over the weekend..and you're right! Although it's still
            annoying to have to do it htat way...

            <vraicovi@o...> wrote:
            > Actually, it's not. I've tested it on 10 or so channels tonight
            and
            > anything that is cut off by tapping info twice is full when you go
            into the
            > guide and hit info.
            >
            > Is it possible you have a different version of the 4200? I have 2
            regular
            > 4200's and 1 4200HD, with just components out. On all three of my
            boxes,
            > going into the guide and hitting info gets you the full
            description.

            > _____

            Then
            > press
            > > info while the listing for that program is highlighted. You
            should
            > get
            > > the full description.
            > >
            > > > Also, within the guide, on my old digital cable system, I
            could
            > > > search for a program by spelling out the name, whereas here I
            > can
            > > > only select the forst letter and then scroll through a
            million
            > > > titles! Is there a better way to do this? am I missing
            > something???
            > >
            > > I know that SA does have keyboards that go along with the SA
            > boxes. As
            > > to when these keyboards will have any function on iO is a
            question
            > Wilt
            > > might be able to answer. I sure would like to see a better
            Guide:
            > > separate Menu button so that Guide actually brings up the Guide,
            > better
            > > font, better color scheme, better search capabilities -- as in
            the
            > > ability to customize listings by delisting certain channels as
            > well as
            > > searching a week at a time rather than day to day.
            > >
            > > While on my soapbox... my 'wish list' would include a time
            display
            > for
            > > VODs and also channels such as FX that are on other CV systems
            as
            > well as
            > > BBC-A.

            > > http://mail.yahoo.com
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12983oh1e/M=295196.4901138.6071305.30011
            76/D=gr

            oups/S=1705035291:HM/EXP=1091402956/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http
            ://comp
            > anion.yahoo.com> click here
            >
            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
            > :HM/A=2128215/rand=786173914>
            >
            > _____
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            Service
            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • berockin1
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2004
              Actually my inlaws just moved here from out of state and their old
              Cable co. had the best info guide I've ever seen.
              Similar to ours you'd hit info for a brief description, the hit page
              down for detailed info. Like how much time remaining and what has
              happed in the move up until the point you hit info.. very helpful if
              you miss the 1st 10 mins or so... Other than the info feaure I like
              our guide better. IMHO

              wrote:
              > You are correct!
              > I tested it over the weekend..and you're right! Although it's
              still
              > annoying to have to do it htat way...
              >

              > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Raicovi"
              > <vraicovi@o...> wrote:
              > > Actually, it's not. I've tested it on 10 or so channels tonight
              > and
              > > anything that is cut off by tapping info twice is full when you
              go
              > into the
              > > guide and hit info.
              > >
              > > Is it possible you have a different version of the 4200? I have
              2
              > regular
              > > 4200's and 1 4200HD, with just components out. On all three of
              my
              > boxes,
              > > going into the guide and hitting info gets you the full
              > description.
              > >
              > > _____

            • Vincent Raicovi
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2004
                Now I've heard it all! The guide actually tells you what you missed?

                _____

                wrote:
                > You are correct!
                > I tested it over the weekend..and you're right! Although it's
                still
                > annoying to have to do it htat way...
                >

                > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Vincent Raicovi"
                > <vraicovi@o...> wrote:
                > > Actually, it's not. I've tested it on 10 or so channels tonight
                > and
                > > anything that is cut off by tapping info twice is full when you
                go
                > into the
                > > guide and hit info.
                > >
                > > Is it possible you have a different version of the 4200? I have
                2
                > regular
                > > 4200's and 1 4200HD, with just components out. On all three of
                my
                > boxes,
                > > going into the guide and hitting info gets you the full
                > description.
                > >
                > > _____

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129lodrvm/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
                oups/S=1705035291:HM/EXP=1091589467/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
                anion.yahoo.com> click here

                :HM/A=2128215/rand=855883734>

                _____

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2004
                  Believe it or not YES... Not overkill but it was very helpful.

                  <vraicovi@o...> wrote:
                  > Now I've heard it all! The guide actually tells you what you
                  missed?

                  > _____

                  Terms of
                  > > Service

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129lodrvm/M=295196.4901138.6071305.30011
                  76/D=gr

                  oups/S=1705035291:HM/EXP=1091589467/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http
                  ://comp
                  > anion.yahoo.com> click here
                  >
                  > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                  M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
                  > :HM/A=2128215/rand=855883734>
                  >

                  > _____
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  subject=Unsubscribe>