Re: Warning to DVI users

  • wsc3_2000
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2004
      I have a PC with an ATI All In Wonder hooked up to my 61 inch
      Samsung and get the same message when I start up the All In Wonder.
      Oh well, looks like ther is no way around that one!

      --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "snoopybird"
      <snoopybird@y...> wrote:
      > After several hours of experimenting, calls to Cablevision and
      > Internet research, it appears that if you put your DVI connection
      > use with your SA4200HD box you will disable all other outlets that
      > are not hooked up to a HDCP compliant device.
      >
      > [The DVI connection brought other problems as well, which seem to
      > have cleared up once I rebooted and set the picture setting
      > to "Fixed". ("DVI Auto" setting wreaked all manner of havoc).]
      >
      > This means that once you have a DVI connection hooked up and your
      > HDTV is not powered on, your coax, S-Video and composite outputs
      > will not work. My secondary analog TV set is now useless, unless
      > revert back to my component hook-up, coupled with either an S-
      Video
      > or coax connection.
      >
      > The Cablevision tech support folks are polite, but woefully
      > uninformed. One of them found a technical manual and confirmed
      that
      > the DVI will override the coax and S-video outputs. He swore up
      and
      > down that a composite video connection would solve my problem.
      > Foolishly I believed him and off I went to RadioShack. Surprise,
      > surprise! Composite doesn't work either. Same stupid message on
      the
      > analog set: "DVI Alert: Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please
      > use the YPbPr component connection to watch TV."
      >
      > A subsequent call to Cablevision resulted in their advice to get
      yet
      > another cable box for my bedside analog TV (for yet another $4.95
      > per month).
      >
      > Aah Cablevision!
    • deansurkin
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2004
        --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "channey_rojo"
        <channey@o...> wrote:
        > Well, I believe you're only supposed to have one TV hooked up to a
        > single cable box at a time. I have a HDCP compliant tv, and have my
        > sa4200hd set to Auto DVI. No problems with any output to my vcr or
        > input on my tv (coax and s-video, not using the component, of
        > course).

        [snip]

        I think the issue will come up if you want to record something to
        your VCR (or other recorder) throught the cable box while the TV is
        off. This should be a very common situation for TiVo users. and SA
        should address it.

        --Dean L. Surkin
      • Walt
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2004
          I am using my DVI hookup, and feeding my Tivo through s-video,
          with no problems....
          -Walt

          --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "ianmd68"
          <ian.leber@v...> wrote:
          > I guess this means I can't use my replaytv via s-video when I hook
          > up the DVI cable. That's unfortunate.
        • Walt
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2004
            I should have read the other posts before I replied, I haven't
            tried it with the set turned off yet, haven't had much time to fool
            with this setup, sorry..........
            -Walt

            --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Walt " <walter17@o...>