Re: A day with the Cableguy & Still no HBO-Any Advice? (LONG POST)

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
      Well, I suggest you just let them rewire it from outside and come in
      near the TV's like the rest of us who didn't have cable pre-wired
      inside the walls of our house. So many of us have it this way, who'd
      notice. ;-)

      --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "jkatz02" <jonkatz@m...>
      wrote:
      > I thought I would recount to you all my recent service call from
      CV
      > which could not solve my problem.
      >
      > THe problem I'm having is that most of my HBO east channels DO not
      > come in at all. THat includes channels, 82,96,301,302,303 and the
      HBO-
      > HD channel. The HBO west channels usually come in OK. (Same
      problem
      > on two sets by the way). All my other channels come in well except
      > FSNY-HD which I dont watch much.
      >
      > So the tech shows up at 11:15 on Friday and I explain the problem
      and
      > demonstrate it. He first starts checking the signal strengths
      using
      > the box and his little meter, the numbers ofcourse mean nothing to
      me.

      > HE then removes the R-59 preterminated cable that goes from the
      wall
      > jack to my Box, tells me that its a piece of crap, cuts it in
      half!,
      > and replaces it with a "Better" R-6 cable and is confident that
      > should do it... NO Luck. Baffled, he changes all the connectors in
      > the wall jack - NO change.
      >
      > The tech then measures signal strength at the point where the line
      > enters the house, he informs me the signals are good... and
      changes
      > some of the connectors. He stops to show me how the existing
      cables
      > are all R-59 and he surmises that THE IN THE WALL cables are
      probably
      > the cause of the problem.
      > AS A TEST, he constructs a new LONG R-6 from two smaller pieces he
      > had, and connects it from the point of entry to the cable box (the
      > cable goes across my living room)! Finally, success, the poor
      > channels start working. I tell him that I can't leave it like
      > this...and is there any way he can replace the IN WALL cable wire.
      > He tells me that Cablevision does not do IN WALL cable runs...
      fair
      > enough. I can do it myself or get an electrician to do it..(ARG)
      >
      > I then questioned him about installing a signal AMPLIFIER which
      I've
      > read about on this forum... HE politely refused to install one,
      > because, according to him, they create more problems than they
      > fix..and that then he'd be back out at my house when I have more
      > problems, yada yada yada, he insisted it was not the right
      solution
      > to the problem, and that I should just replace the in wall lines.
      >
      > A similar fiasco ensued with the 2nd floor cable box, (which is
      fed
      > by a splitter where the cable enters the house).
      >
      > Bottom line: This CV tech seemed to me to be VERY thorough,
      > apparently diagnosing the problem and recommending a solution.
      > BUT despite all that, I'm still without HBO, What would you do
      next?
      > Why do you suppose the BAD lines are only affecting these couple
      of
      > channels?
      >
      > FYI, I don't expect replacing those lines to be easy, in fact it
      > seems like a really hard job - the line will have to traverse two
      > vertical drops and across a celing.
      > ANY Advice is appreciated!
      > J. Katz
      > North Westchester
    • Wilt Hildenbrand
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
        Send me, privately, to wilth@..., your account name, address and phone number.
        Thanks,
        Wilt

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
          I was having some cable modem problems - and figured it was due to
          some old cable.

          Sounds to me like you should just take a nice day, buy a snake
          (electrical tool to snake wires), buy a 500' spool of quad shield rg-6
          wire, and a 6 pack and rewire the house. While you are at it, might
          just as well drop some cat-5e network wire while you are at it. =)

          I did it, ran a straight shot quadshield rg-6 line from each jack in
          my house to a central location (closet). I also ran a 2x from ground
          terminal @ CV point to the closet.

          Also, there are 2 drops behind my LR set and my Den set, as I figured
          these locations were likely to have HD and lots of splits for pvr's,
          vcr's, etc and might require a stronger signal. This allows me to
          send a dedicated line to my HD box and use the second rg6 for my pvr,
          vcr, and dual tv tuner inputs (4 splits there!)

          So, when I called CV, and told them about my cable modem problems
          (drop outs) - they asked me about splits and boxes, etc. Turns out
          that my HD box also had pixelation that was due to low signal. Well,
          all of this was due to: 1 Cable modem, 1 HD box, 2 IO boxes, and 6
          analog drops.

          Cable guy got here. Looked at my wireing. 30 seconds later, he added
          another drop to my house (as my salesman promised all this stuff
          hooked up would work). He also thanked me for rewiring everything to
          a central location and labeling it all.

          Ok, after all that blabing - I guess if you are having problems, might
          just as well redo it and do it right. Find a central location and
          rewire! =) Label the ends, put them all in one spot, and when the
          cable guy comes - its not your wiring in the wall that gets blamed.

          With the cat5e that I suggest ya run, just be careful not to pull on
          it! That will make it not cat5e anymore.

          If you want some install hints on whatelse I did, drop me a note to:
          jason A@T jgrichmond D.O.T com . (use the lower case stuff for my
          address)

          have a good time. if you are on the isle, I might just like the beer
          ya buy ;-)

          -jason

          wrote:
          > I thought I would recount to you all my recent service call from CV
          > which could not solve my problem.
          >
          > THe problem I'm having is that most of my HBO east channels DO not
          > come in at all. THat includes channels, 82,96,301,302,303 and the HBO-
          > HD channel. The HBO west channels usually come in OK. (Same problem
          > on two sets by the way). All my other channels come in well except
          > FSNY-HD which I dont watch much.
          >
          > So the tech shows up at 11:15 on Friday and I explain the problem and
          > demonstrate it. He first starts checking the signal strengths using
          > the box and his little meter, the numbers ofcourse mean nothing to me.
          >
          > HE then removes the R-59 preterminated cable that goes from the wall
          > jack to my Box, tells me that its a piece of crap, cuts it in half!,
          > and replaces it with a "Better" R-6 cable and is confident that
          > should do it... NO Luck. Baffled, he changes all the connectors in
          > the wall jack - NO change.
          >
          > The tech then measures signal strength at the point where the line
          > enters the house, he informs me the signals are good... and changes
          > some of the connectors. He stops to show me how the existing cables
          > are all R-59 and he surmises that THE IN THE WALL cables are probably
          > the cause of the problem.
          > AS A TEST, he constructs a new LONG R-6 from two smaller pieces he
          > had, and connects it from the point of entry to the cable box (the
          > cable goes across my living room)! Finally, success, the poor
          > channels start working. I tell him that I can't leave it like
          > this...and is there any way he can replace the IN WALL cable wire.
          > He tells me that Cablevision does not do IN WALL cable runs... fair
          > enough. I can do it myself or get an electrician to do it..(ARG)
          >
          > I then questioned him about installing a signal AMPLIFIER which I've
          > read about on this forum... HE politely refused to install one,
          > because, according to him, they create more problems than they
          > fix..and that then he'd be back out at my house when I have more
          > problems, yada yada yada, he insisted it was not the right solution
          > to the problem, and that I should just replace the in wall lines.
          >
          > A similar fiasco ensued with the 2nd floor cable box, (which is fed
          > by a splitter where the cable enters the house).
          >
          > Bottom line: This CV tech seemed to me to be VERY thorough,
          > apparently diagnosing the problem and recommending a solution.
          > BUT despite all that, I'm still without HBO, What would you do next?
          > Why do you suppose the BAD lines are only affecting these couple of
          > channels?
          >
          > FYI, I don't expect replacing those lines to be easy, in fact it
          > seems like a really hard job - the line will have to traverse two
          > vertical drops and across a celing.
          > ANY Advice is appreciated!
          > J. Katz
          > North Westchester
        • jkatz02
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2004
            Thanks for the tips Jason, I may end up biting the bullet and doing
            all that... but unlike some, snaking coax through walls for a day is
            NOT my idea of fun... beer ofcourse would help.

            --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Richmond"

          • Ken Stone
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2004
              I had the same problem (no HBO channels. Others OK). Before you
              rewire your house, try an amplifier. It worked for me (Installed at
              the advice of the CV tech. Obviously not the same guy you had.)

              Someone on this list recommended the Sci Atl model here:

              http://www.sciatl.com/products/consumers/surgegap.htm

              which I got on ebay. Works great for me. YMMV.

              ken
            • Stanley Sidlov
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
                On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:59:28 -0500, Ken Stone wrote:

                >I had the same problem (no HBO channels. Others OK). Before you
                >rewire your house, try an amplifier. It worked for me (Installed at
                >the advice of the CV tech. Obviously not the same guy you had.)

                I have an amp. I HAD it inline for everything in the house (now it's just after a bunch of
                splits for my OOL only). When it was amplifying everything that came into the house, it
                still didn't help all the time and when the signals in the street got worse, it was still bad.
                CV sent a team to rewire me and rewiring got me a 7db improvement in the signals
                without using the amp. I didn't have the old cable type as you do, but I did had cables
                that were loosely connected, had poorly installed caps or corroded caps, water
                damaged cable and had uncapped live cable end points which leak signals. Amps
                only help when you have a lot of splits making a weak signal, amps don't fix signals.
                Putting an amp is a incorrect solution when you have wire that is not capable of carrying
                the signal in the first place, you will have to rewire at some point.

                .