Re: Automatic resolution changing? WILT--point of clarification please ;)

  • jmckeogh
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
      When we watch 1080i we have grey bars on the top and bottom and my
      wife and son hate it. They find grey bars very distracting when
      watching TV. So much so that they would rather watch HDTV in 480p
      mode to get black bars on top and bottom. They don't think the
      extra resolution is worth the distraction of grey bars. That is
      something I would like to see changed. i would like 1080i with
      black bars or the ability to choose 480p instead of going into 1080i
      automatically.

      I prefer 1080i and will choose it every time but I am outnumbered.

      Jim

      --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "steevo" <steevo@w...>

    • swaqieu
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
        If the box is set to 1080i, you should NOT see grey bars..they
        SHOULD be balck...Perhaps you're not really in 1080i mode on the box
        settings?

        --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "jmckeogh"

      • Bernie Courtney
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
          set the box to 1080i, tun to a NON-HD channel and set the picture mode to 'stretch', now any NTSC programming should fill your screen.

          Bern

          <jmckeogh@o...> wrote:
          > When we watch 1080i we have grey bars on the top and bottom and my
          > wife and son hate it.  They find grey bars very distracting when
          > watching TV.  So much so that they would rather watch HDTV in 480p
          > mode to get black bars on top and bottom.  They don't think the
          > extra resolution is worth the distraction of grey bars.  That is
          > something I would like to see changed.  i would like 1080i with
          > black bars or the ability to choose 480p instead of going into
          1080i
          > automatically.
          >
          > I prefer 1080i and will choose it every time but I am outnumbered.
          >
          > Jim
          >

          > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "steevo" <steevo@w...>
          > wrote:
          > > If this works the way I think it will..it will switch to 480i
          when
          > > 4:3 picture is detected and 1080i when 16:9. This is a design
          > > feature of Motorola cable boxes that was done because most of
          the
          > > early(2001 and earlier) HD sets LOCK into full mode when they
          > > receive a 1080i signal effectively disabling any native stretch
          > > modes. For those of us with older sets,or newer but poorly
          > designed
          > > ones, this will allow you to use the sets stretch modes for 4:3
          > > material.
          > > On my Toshiba, 1080i signal disables the stretch..So as an
          > example,
          > > I will be able to watch HD channels full screen no stretch and
          > when
          > > I change channel to Fox News or CNN the box will switch to 480i
          > and
          > > my TVs stretch mode will take over.
          > > You should be able to override this when 4:3 HD material is
          being
          > > broadcast like HBO Boxing.
          > > steevo
          > >
          > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "swaqieu"
          > <swaqieu@y...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > You're getting bars all around because the box is still in
          1080i
          > > > mode...if you put it in 480i, you will get a traditional full
          > > screen
          > > > picture.
          > > >
          > > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "rook19542002"
          > programming,
          > > > get
          > watch
          > > > non-
          > > > bottom
          > > Will

          > > still

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bernie Courtney
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
            also just thought of this, make sure the box is setup for your correct monitor type, i think you turn the box off, then press INFO and GUIDE (the two top most buttons in the 4200) to enter the interactive setup

            bern

            <jmckeogh@o...> wrote:
            > When we watch 1080i we have grey bars on the top and bottom and my
            > wife and son hate it.  They find grey bars very distracting when
            > watching TV.  So much so that they would rather watch HDTV in 480p
            > mode to get black bars on top and bottom.  They don't think the
            > extra resolution is worth the distraction of grey bars.  That is
            > something I would like to see changed.  i would like 1080i with
            > black bars or the ability to choose 480p instead of going into
            1080i
            > automatically.
            >
            > I prefer 1080i and will choose it every time but I am outnumbered.
            >
            > Jim
            >

            > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "steevo" <steevo@w...>
            > wrote:
            > > If this works the way I think it will..it will switch to 480i
            when
            > > 4:3 picture is detected and 1080i when 16:9. This is a design
            > > feature of Motorola cable boxes that was done because most of
            the
            > > early(2001 and earlier) HD sets LOCK into full mode when they
            > > receive a 1080i signal effectively disabling any native stretch
            > > modes. For those of us with older sets,or newer but poorly
            > designed
            > > ones, this will allow you to use the sets stretch modes for 4:3
            > > material.
            > > On my Toshiba, 1080i signal disables the stretch..So as an
            > example,
            > > I will be able to watch HD channels full screen no stretch and
            > when
            > > I change channel to Fox News or CNN the box will switch to 480i
            > and
            > > my TVs stretch mode will take over.
            > > You should be able to override this when 4:3 HD material is
            being
            > > broadcast like HBO Boxing.
            > > steevo
            > >
            > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "swaqieu"
            > <swaqieu@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > You're getting bars all around because the box is still in
            1080i
            > > > mode...if you put it in 480i, you will get a traditional full
            > > screen
            > > > picture.
            > > >
            > > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "rook19542002"
            > programming,
            > > > get
            > watch
            > > > non-
            > > > bottom
            > > Will

            > > still

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • jmckeogh
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
              If the box is set to 1080i I always have grey bars on top and
              bottom. If it is not HD programming I have black bars on the
              sides. I always have black bars on top and bottom in 480p.

              Jim

              wrote:
              > If the box is set to 1080i, you should NOT see grey bars..they
              > SHOULD be balck...Perhaps you're not really in 1080i mode on the
              box
              > settings?
              >

              > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "jmckeogh"
              > <jmckeogh@o...> wrote:
              > > When we watch 1080i we have grey bars on the top and bottom and
              my
              > > wife and son hate it. They find grey bars very distracting when
              > > watching TV. So much so that they would rather watch HDTV in
              480p
              > > mode to get black bars on top and bottom. They don't think the
              > > extra resolution is worth the distraction of grey bars. That is
              > > something I would like to see changed. i would like 1080i with
              > > black bars or the ability to choose 480p instead of going into
              > 1080i
              > > automatically.
              > >
              > > I prefer 1080i and will choose it every time but I am
              outnumbered.

              > > Jim
              > >

              > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "steevo"
              <steevo@w...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > If this works the way I think it will..it will switch to 480i
              > when
              > > > 4:3 picture is detected and 1080i when 16:9. This is a design
              > > > feature of Motorola cable boxes that was done because most of
              > the
              > > > early(2001 and earlier) HD sets LOCK into full mode when they
              > > > receive a 1080i signal effectively disabling any native
              stretch
              > > > modes. For those of us with older sets,or newer but poorly
              > > designed
              > > > ones, this will allow you to use the sets stretch modes for
              4:3
              > > > material.
              > > > On my Toshiba, 1080i signal disables the stretch..So as an
              > > example,
              > > > I will be able to watch HD channels full screen no stretch and
              > > when
              > > > I change channel to Fox News or CNN the box will switch to
              480i
              > > and
              > > > my TVs stretch mode will take over.
              > > > You should be able to override this when 4:3 HD material is
              > being
              > > > broadcast like HBO Boxing.
              > > > steevo
              > > >
              > > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "swaqieu"
              > > <swaqieu@y...>
              > 1080i
              > > > screen

              > > programming,
              > > watch
              ANNOYING.
              > > > Will

              Hildenbrand
              > > > still
            • jlangweil
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2004
                Do you have a 16:9 TV?

                <jmckeogh@o...> wrote:
                > If the box is set to 1080i I always have grey bars on top and
                > bottom. If it is not HD programming I have black bars on the
                > sides. I always have black bars on top and bottom in 480p.
                >
                > Jim
                >

                > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "swaqieu"
                <swaqieu@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > If the box is set to 1080i, you should NOT see grey bars..they
                > > SHOULD be balck...Perhaps you're not really in 1080i mode on the
                > box
                > > settings?
                > >

                > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "jmckeogh"
                > > <jmckeogh@o...> wrote:
                > > > When we watch 1080i we have grey bars on the top and bottom and
                > my
                > > > wife and son hate it. They find grey bars very distracting
                when
                > > > watching TV. So much so that they would rather watch HDTV in
                > 480p
                > > > mode to get black bars on top and bottom. They don't think the
                > > > extra resolution is worth the distraction of grey bars. That
                is
                > > > something I would like to see changed. i would like 1080i with
                > > > black bars or the ability to choose 480p instead of going into
                > > 1080i
                > > > automatically.
                > > >
                > > > I prefer 1080i and will choose it every time but I am
                > outnumbered.
                > > >
                > > > Jim
                > > >

                > > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "steevo"
                > <steevo@w...>
                > > when
                > > the
                > stretch
                > > > designed
                > 4:3
                > > > example,
                > > > when
                > 480i
                > > > and
                > > being

                > > > <swaqieu@y...>
                > > 1080i
                > full

                > > > programming,
                > > > watch
                > and
                > ANNOYING.

                > Hildenbrand
                > -
              • jmckeogh
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 2, 2004
                  Yes, it is 16:9.

                  Bars on top and bottom are necessary with HDTV content. I just want
                  to be able to set them to black instead of grey.

                  Jim

                  --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "jlangweil"

                • arubertd
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 2, 2004
                    Huh? If it's a 16:9 TV, there should be no bars on top/bottom. I
                    think you have a 4:3 TV and you're watching 16:9 HD content on it. In
                    that case the top/bottom bars are placed there by the TV, not the
                    SA4200HD. Remember, the cable box is passing a 16:9 signal, there
                    simply isn't anything above or below it, so the the TV puts the bars
                    there to fill in the empty space on your 4:3 screen. Check your TV
                    manual and settings for the ability to change the color of those
                    bars. Btw, they're probably set to grey by default to minimize the
                    potential for burn in.

                    -Andy

                    <jmckeogh@o...> wrote:
                    Yes, it is 16:9.

                    Bars on top and bottom are necessary with HDTV content. I just want
                    to be able to set them to black instead of grey.

                    Jim

                    --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "jlangweil"
                    Do you have a 16:9 TV?

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 2, 2004
                      you can go into the settings menu and select the color of the shutters, light, medium or dark - dark being black.

                      BUT

                      if your watching an HD signal (like WCBS-HD) the station chooses to brodcast the gray bars and as they are actually part of the signal you can NOT change thier color, so for those stations just tune to the NTSC channel and then you can stretch/zoom/and pick shutter color on ur 4200

                      Bern

                      <trekker@c...> wrote:
                      > Do you have a 16:9 TV?
                      >
                      > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "jmckeogh"
                      > <jmckeogh@o...> wrote:
                      > > If the box is set to 1080i I always have grey bars on top and
                      > > bottom.  If it is not HD programming I have black bars on the
                      > > sides.  I always have black bars on top and bottom in 480p.
                      > >
                      > > Jim
                      > >

                      > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "swaqieu"
                      > <swaqieu@y...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > > If the box is set to 1080i, you should NOT see grey bars..they
                      > > > SHOULD be balck...Perhaps you're not really in 1080i mode on
                      the
                      > > box
                      > > > settings?
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "jmckeogh"
                      > > my
                      > when
                      > > 480p
                      That
                      > is
                      > > > 1080i

                      > > outnumbered.

                      > > <steevo@w...>
                      > > > when
                      > > > the
                      > > stretch
                      > > 4:3
                      > and
                      > > 480i
                      > > > being

                      > > > 1080i
                      > > full

                      cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "rook19542002"
                      > > and
                      > > ANNOYING.

                      > > Hildenbrand
                      > yet-
                      > > -

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • jmckeogh
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 2, 2004
                        I must have been having a senior moment. I do have a 4:3 set.

                        I went through the TV settings and couldn't find anything to change
                        but I will try calling Hitachi.

                        If I go in the SA4200HD settings I can change the bars on the top
                        and bottom from grey (light) to medium to black (dark) but this only
                        affects 480i or 480p programs. It has no effect on 1080i. Those
                        bars are always grey (light).

                        Jim

                        --- In cablevision_digital@yahoogroups.com, "arubertd"