Re: Please Elmer Me -- MacLogger File to CQ WPX Cabrillo

  • wb0m
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2012
      "I want to convert my MacLogger DX file (set solely for the CQ WOX SSB contest) to a Cabrillo file for submission. Can someone give me detailed step by step instructions? Thank you.
      > Also, will it calculate my preliminary score?"

      Hello Rob,
      It's pretty simple. First thing you want to do is export your MLDX file contest file in MLDX's ADIF. Format. Make sure you've downloaded the latest Cab-converter program. Open the program and add all your permanent information and "save permanent data" under "file". Next, on the right side of the Cab-converter panel use the pull-down menus to select your contest, operator category, power category, band category,
      mode, etc. Leave the category overlay, overlay time, and dxpedition blank if they don't apply to you. This info will not be saved and you will have to enter it the next time you use Cab-converter. Add any info to the Soapbox and a DX club, if you belong to one.
      The last step creates the Cabrillo file. While still in Cab-converter, under "file", open your ADIF file (.adi) exported by MLDX. You should see a panel with all your contacts and the information. Next, under file, select "Generate Cabrillo File" you be given a prompt to a rename your ".log" file. I use my callsign so I can just e-mail the .log file to the contest robot.
      If you use "Text Edit" you can open your cab file and see all the info, including your claimed score.
      Let me know if this helps and if I missed a step or explained it poorly, someone please jump in and help. Welcome to ham radio and contesting.
      GL & 73,
      Jeff/wb0m
    • Robert Zielke
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28, 2012
        Jeff:

        Thank you.  I will  go through your steps later this evening.

        One issue that I have been experiencing is downloading the Cab-converter program.  It downloads, but it does not load/install.  I am using a fully up-to-date Mac, but this is the only program that I have been unable to load/install after download.  Your (or anybody else's) instruction and help on how to download, run, and install the most recent Cab-converter is greatly appreciated.  Again, I need to download, run and install the current Cab-converter so I can convert my CQ WPX SSB data.  (I hope all will entertain my basic questions.)

        Again, thank you!

        73,

        de Rob/AE7NR

      • wb0m@flashdog.us
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28, 2012
          Are you using Lion? If so, I can't help you because my MacBook Pro is still running Snow Leopard, 10.6.8.
          Maybe Scott (NE1RD) or someone else has some advice on Cab-converter and Lion.
          73,
          jeff/wb0m

        • wb0m
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2012
            "It downloads, but it does not load/install. I am using a fully up-to-date Mac, but this is the only program that I have been unable to load/install after download."

            Just checking: After you download v1.40 and "unstuff" the "cab-converter-v1.40.sitx" that prodcues the Cab-converter folder and then drag Cab-converter into your Applications folder, is the program not launching?

            jeff/wb0m
          • Robert Zielke
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28, 2012
              I am running the up-to-date version of Snow Leopard, 10.6.8 (Mac OS X).

              Thank you.

              73,
              Rob/AE7NR

              On Mar 28, 2012, at 9:07 AM, wb0m@... wrote:

              Are you using Lion? If so, I can't help you because my MacBook Pro is still running Snow Leopard, 10.6.8.

              Maybe Scott (NE1RD) or someone else has some advice on Cab-converter and Lion.
              73,
              jeff/wb0m

            • ne1rd_ham
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 28, 2012
                Rob,

                The latest version of Cab-converter is 1.40. This is in a compressed format so you will need to expand it. The free version of "StuffIt Expander" can be found here:

                http://www.stuffit.com/mac-expander.html

                Once you have installed StuffIt Expander you should be able to decompress/expand and get a folder "Cab-converter™-v1.40" that has the application, manual pages, and some sample files.

                Let us know if you are still having trouble.

                -- Scott (NE1RD and author of Cab-converter)

                --- In cab-converter@yahoogroups.com, Robert Zielke <RobtZielke@...> wrote:

                > I am running the up-to-date version of Snow Leopard, 10.6.8 (Mac OS X).
                >
                > Thank you.
                >
                > 73,
                > Rob/AE7NR
                >
                > On Mar 28, 2012, at 9:07 AM, wb0m@... wrote:
                >
                > > Are you using Lion? If so, I can't help you because my MacBook Pro is still running Snow Leopard, 10.6.8.
                > >
                > > Maybe Scott (NE1RD) or someone else has some advice on Cab-converter and Lion.
                > > 73,
                > > jeff/wb0m

              • Robert Zielke
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 28, 2012
                  Thanks to both of you (Scott and Jeff), the process went very smoothly and was easy.  Your help and instructions were impeccable.  In fact, what you advised made it so easy, I felt bad that I could not figure this out on my own.  Again, a big THANK YOU from AE7NR.

                  73,

                  Rob/AE7NR

                  On Mar 28, 2012, at 9:46 AM, ne1rd_ham wrote:

                  Rob,

                  The latest version of Cab-converter is 1.40. This is in a compressed format so you will need to expand it. The free version of "StuffIt Expander" can be found here:

                  http://www.stuffit.com/mac-expander.html

                  Once you have installed StuffIt Expander you should be able to decompress/expand and get a folder "Cab-converterâ„¢-v1.40" that has the application, manual pages, and some sample files.