Re: [bytesforall_readers] With Vista, Microsoft could effe ctively hasten the obsolescen ce of half the world’s PCs ...

  • Edward Cherlin
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 29, 2007
      I've had some discussions with recycling companies, who all say that
      they would love to bid on the recycling contracts in various countries
      for the One Laptop Per Child XO laptop. (More precisely,

      happy-jumping-up-and-down-child computer.) Having millions of the same
      model come to them for recycling in a short period of time means being
      able to design a process specifically for that model, with great
      improvements in efficiency and lowered cost.

      PS The XO is using a new Lithium-ion battery without the toxic heavy
      metals of previous designs. It contains lithium, iron, and phosphorus
      (LiFeP). It has a higher energy capacity that the previous NiMH
      battery.

      --
      Edward Cherlin
      Earth Treasury: End Poverty at a Profit