RE: [bytesforall_readers] Challenges in implementation of telecenters

  • rajendra@enrd.org
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
      Dear Shahid Uddin Akbar,

      As my knowledge and experience these are the main challenges on
      implementation of telecenter.

      1. Poverty
      2. Education (Lanugage)/ awarness
      3. Local resources
      4. ICT plicy
      5. Connectivity

      Thanks
      Rajendra Poudel

      Message 2 of 9 , May 1 10:56 PM
        Dear Mr Shahid,
        I had the experience of  running two telecentres in two villages for two years during 1999 to 2000. The centres were designed to work as information cum communication centres. Each had a P III computer with a dial up Internet connection,  a laser printer, a scanner, a fax machine, and a photo copier.
        We trained two Project assitants for running the center and also for collecting local information such as govt programmes, local personnel in various establishments, organisations ,and institutions. All information was kept in local language , Telugu using I LEAP software.

        The main problem we encoutered is Viability of the center when we wanted to hand over to a  local entreprenure. No one was willing to take over even with the Rs 300,000 equipment free in those days. Finally we had to hand over to the local library authority which took over very reluctantly.   K A Raju

        Shahid Uddin Akbar <shahid_ictdpb@...> wrote:
        Dear All,

        The telecenter is becoming an important development agenda in this days. Just for sharing our thoughts, I would request you to forward 5 major challenges which are critical for implementation of telecenter.

        Let's see whether we can identify the problems and then move to solutions.

        Thanks,
        Shahid Uddin Akbar

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Dr K A Raju, Ph. (0821) 2497984
        Camp: Mysore

        Yahoo! India Answers: Share what you know. Learn something new. Click here

      • Pushkar Wagley

          The telecenter is becoming an important development agenda in this days.
          Just for sharing our thoughts, I would request you to forward 5 major
          challenges which are critical for implementation of telecenter.

          Let's see whether we can identify the problems and then move to solutions.

          Thanks,
          Shahid Uddin Akbar

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail2web.com/ .

          K byteCommunication and networkingGiga byte
          Wireless communication and networkingSouth asiaBit byte

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • priyanthi daluwatte
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2 5:28 AM
            Hi,

            The challenges as I see ...

            lack of locally relevant content in local languages
            high costs of connectivity
            lack of awareness
            poverty - but isnt this what we are trying to find solutions by ICT4D ???

            I would like to mention that Sarvodaya in Sri Lanka has village information centres where it has village relevant details. This is in paper form and not computerized. We have a model where these information centres are gradually transformed into telecentres, Then there is an advantage of getting village awareness about the value of information and also the village volunteers will have some idea of organizing and delievery of information when it is upgraded into a telecentre.

            www.sarvodaya.org/users/situ/
            www.v-village.lk

            Priyanthi Daluwatte

            "rajendra@..." <rajendra@...> wrote:
[...]

            Win tickets to the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany with Yahoo! Messenger.

          • Lee Thorn
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2 8:41 AM
              Dear colleagues -

              Great question!

              In Jhai Foundation's experience working with villagers who want ICT in their rural low income communities (Jhai started doing this in 2000, finished field test of lowpower JhaiPCv.1.6 two weeks ago) the main expressed needs are:

              1. communication
              2. means to increase income, especially income from agriculture and traditional trade
              3. alternate means for practical education for their children so that they stay in school and have a chance of a better income
              4. a chance at better health services

              The main challenges are:

              1. ICT policy - including community radio and VOIP
              2. Community buy-in -  understanding the tools, creating the market for local ICT businesses
              3. Financial sustainability  - good, practical, localized planning and follow up and networking
              4. Connectivity - especially correct antennas and cheap towers or alternatives as well as human networking/success sharing among people who are in the same situation re ICT
              5. Access to tools and content in local language

              I expect to return to India in two weeks.  I believe firmly in the great importance worldwide of all the people working towards Mission 2007 goals.  I believe particularly in the importance of the international and national diaspora of people who are from these villages.  I believe these people - as has been the case in the villages we have worked in Laos and in the Navajo Nation and elsewhere - will help current villagers reach their goals.  Expertise is important.  Family networks are more important.

              yours, in Peace,

              Lee
              --
              Lee Thorn
              chair, Jhai Foundation

              Buy FAIR TRADE Jhai Coffee at http://www.jhaicoffee.com/ and support the Jhai Coffee Farmers Association!

              And now for something completely different ...

              Hear my son, Jesse's, hilarious radio show The Sound of Young America, at http://www.splangy.com/radio/

              Hear my 10 year old son Brendan's band, Total Annihilation, by going to http://www.myspace.com/totalannihilationband

              Enjoy!
            • Surbhi
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3 5:25 AM

                Hi All,

                We have been running a telecentre called Tel-Nek in Bidadi, 40 kms from Bangalore , for the past 5 years. We have been serving

                 63 villages in and around the Ramanagaram taluk.

                Our centre was setup to curb Urban migration, provide better livelihood opportunities to women, train Children on Technology enabled learning, etc.

                In my opinion, the 5 critical factors to keep in mind before starting a telecentre are:

                1. The Community's needs:

                            a) What kind of trainings do they require? (ICT itself or ICT applications)

                b) how are they going to deploy these new skills

                c) What are the services they require?

                2. Content: This needs to be available in the local language.

                3. Connectivity: Is there easy connectivity; what is the connection speed, especially over a network. Can some of the applications, trainings/services be delivered ‘Offline’?

                4. Sustainability: A suitable model to achieve sustainability.

                5. Inclusive policies: A telecentre must consciously aim to include different target groups and provide services/trainings to them.

                Best,

                Surbhi Sharma

                Trustee

                Anchorage

              • Gihan Dias
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3 8:52 AM
                  priyanthi daluwatte ලිව්වා:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > The challenges as I see ...
                  >
                  > lack of locally relevant content in local languages

                  Priyanthi,

                  What are the local language content needed most. Let's see if we can get
                  at least a couple of systems done.

                  Gihan
                • Rouf Mohammad Abdur
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 17 12:19 AM

                    Dear Shahid Vai,

                    Thanks for inducing though revoking issue.

                    With my limited exposure, I encounter the following problems as most prominant ones in implementing telecenters in Bangldesh.

                    1. Social mobilization along with beneficiary’s participation.

                    2. Infrastructural limitation especially connectivity.

                    3. Legal constraints while the issue of content dissemination (broadcasting through community radio) pops up.

                    4. Mainstreaming with other regular development activities (on-going ones).

                    5. Last but not the least, all sort of sustainability - Economic, Social and organizational.

                    Lets see, what others are feeling/facing on this issue.

                    Thanks.
                    Mohammad Abdur Rouf
                    Programme Coordinator
                    Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio & Communication
                    Address: House: 13/1, Road: 02, Shaymoli, Dhaka-1207.
                    Phone: 88-02-9130750, 88-02-9138501 Ext. 103
                    Fax: 88-02-9130750, 88-02-9138501 Ext. 105
                    Cell: 88-0152-484511
                    www.bnnrc.net