Re: [bytesforall_readers] The Internet: a case of founders keepers? ... one Indian perspective

  • Vickram Crishna
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2005
      At 5:27 PM +0530 14/11/05, Frederick Noronha (FN) wrote:
      >http://southasia.oneworld.net/article/view/122112/1/5339
      >
      >The Internet: a case of `founders keepers?
      >Anand Parthasarathy
      >
      >Indeed its origins lay in a network called DARPANet, a creation of
      >the U.S. government's Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency,
      >which was initially handed over to a consortium of American academic
      >institutions, then grew and grew... to become today's Internet.

      Sometimes history could do with a bit of editing. In this case,
      correcting as well. While DARPANet was an early user of the first
      Internet protocols, to implement them, they drew on help from
      Britain. Even today, the Net would be quite useless as a common
      person's resource if it wasn't for the Web, whose development was
      unmistakably European. I don't have time to give you all the
      references right now, but they are worth googling for. I don't think
      anyone wants to see the Net degenerate into a set of disconnected
      networks, but on the one hand let us remember there are already quite
      a few global networks out there that aren't part of the Net, and on
      the other remember that sharing control with persons from around the
      world need not necessarily mean degeneration.
      --
      Vickram