Microsoft plans cheaper Windows for India

  • Shubhranshu Choudhary
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
      Microsoft plans cheaper Windows for India

      Reuters

      Hyderabad, October 1: Microsoft Corp plans to release a low-cost version of its Windows software for India in an attempt to check high piracy levels, the legal affairs head of the world's largest independent software maker said.

      "We will launch more value products at affordable prices in India soon to reduce software piracy levels," Bradford Smith told reporters late on Friday in the southern city of Hyderabad, where Microsoft has a software development facility.

      The low-cost Windows starter version for India will be available in Hindi and English at Rs 1,000 ($22.7), which would also help reduce entry-level personal computer prices to Rs 10,000, he said.

      Smith said Indian piracy level was around 73 per cent.

      Microsoft's practice echoes that of global publishers, many of whom print lower cost versions of books whose sale is restricted to India or South Asia.

      Shubhranshu Choudhary                Freelance Journalist
      Ph : + 91 98110 66749                   e mail : smitashu@...
      http://36garh.notlong.com              http://smitashu.8m.net
    • John Lawrence
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
        why not cheaper windows for connecticut? I suppose its the Kmart
        strategy, different lines... J

        Shubhranshu Choudhary wrote:

        > Microsoft plans cheaper Windows for India
        >
        > Reuters
        >
        > Hyderabad, October 1: Microsoft Corp plans to release a low-cost
        > version of its Windows software for India in an attempt to check high
        > piracy levels, the legal affairs head of the world's largest
        > independent software maker said.
      • Gurstein, Michael
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
          Message
          And what about text books?

          My students, most of whom come from low or moderate income families in NJ pay 5 or 6 times what it costs my students from Asia who order their text books locally in Asia for delivery in the US?!?

          MG
          why not cheaper windows for connecticut? I suppose its the Kmart
          strategy, different lines... J

          Shubhranshu Choudhary wrote:

          > Microsoft plans cheaper Windows for India

          > Reuters

          > Hyderabad, October 1: Microsoft Corp plans to release a low-cost
          > version of its Windows software for India in an attempt to check high
          > piracy levels, the legal affairs head of the world's largest
          > independent software maker said.

        • Frederick Noronha (FN)
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
            Wouldn't a lot of our problems be solved if we did away with this idea
            called copyright, which is ostensibly meant to encourage and help the
            writer? For a journalist myself, you might find me to be excessively
            anti-copyright.

            Incidentally, I don't believe in illegally copying the work of others
            (unless they permit me to do so), but have a lot of faith in sharing my
            own work. Some 2000 of my photographs are also available under the
            creativecommons.org license.

            Am trying to convince fellow photography friends to contribute to set up
            a free archive for India. FN

            > From: "Gurstein, Michael" <gurstein@...>
            > Subject: RE: Microsoft plans cheaper Windows for India
            > And what about text books?
            > My students, most of whom come from low or moderate income families in
            > NJ pay 5 or 6 times what it costs my students from Asia who order their
            > text books locally in Asia for delivery in the US?!?
            > MG
          • Tom Abeles
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
              hi Michael

              Its not just textbooks, but all commodities, as you well know as you travel between the US and Canada. And it is not just government taxes and tariffs- its the market, the "free market" and what the market will accept.

              The problem with texts is that the faculty who choose the texts are indifferent to the cost to their students. They fret and say, "Oh what should I do", I am only the professor. Yet it is the professor who goes to the publishers, accepts royalties from the system and refuses to go "open access" for the students- while slowly moving to open access for  colleagues with scholarly journal pubs- making sure that they don't loose credit for promotion and tenure by publishing open access (after all, its the credit which is important)

              It is the academic who creates the knowledge and the academic who accepts on one hand while playing the sympathy card for his/her students.
              MIT is putting their courses online, open access. There are many other materials for students online, open access. Why professors continue to play the text book card is beyond understanding. Today, many students don't read their texts, don't buy the texts, copy texts and do much to avoid the high pricing and figuring out how to get the knowledge without paying egregious prices.

              Its time the faculty recognized this disconnect, acknowledged the growing disconnect and restored the spirit of the university by joining with their students in a knowledge experience and brought rhetoric and reality into congruence.

              thoughts?

              tom abeles

            • profitinafrica@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
                Dear Colleagues

                The idea of different prices for different markets is not new ... but market regulators have often tended to look unfavorably at the practice. "Anti-Dumping" regulations are common, but only get any serious attention when it is the "north" that is getting dumped on.

                The market is a very efficient component in the economic mechanism that operates everywhere ... but it does not always give the result that might be expected based on the simple market version taught in economics 101. It gives a very predictable result, but the determinants of this are not always "good". Control of a market is hugely valuable and all sorts of techniques are used to achieve "control" ... many of which have terrible side effects.

                The military industry complex that President Eisenhower warned about has control of a market that is huge and certainly from a global perspective is "value destroying". The text book and academic community's involvement in the cartelisation of the information and learning space is terribly anti-social but hugely profitable. The profit of big pharma and the health sector from illness ... yes ... profit is an incentive ... but how much profit is needed to get the most out of brilliant professionals ... profit is NOT for brilliant professionals it is for investors who have nothing much to do with research! And what about the official relief and development assistance (ORDA) sector where failed performance gives a never ending opportunity for study and study and study .........

                The market is powerful, and the market operates best when there is good information about all the factors having impact on the market. Management information is needed ... information about the value chain, information about the cost and profit and price and value ... and who really is making profit and at whose expense. When there is this sort of transparency ... then we will start having a more sensible and equitable global economy. Excess profits, windfall profits, rip-offs and scams are all in the same family ... and should not be invisible and need not be tolerated.

                Sincerely

                Peter B
                Peter Burgess
                Tr-Ac-Net in New York  212 772 6918 peterbnyc@...
                The Transparency and Accountability Network
                With Kris Dev in Chennai India
                and others in South Asia, Africa and Latin America
                http://tr-ac-net.blogspot.com
                www.tr-ac-net.org