Message about an evaluation of the WB's Development Gateway

  • profitinafrica@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
      Dear Vicky

      Thanks to Mike Gursten, I have had a quick first look at your evaluation of the World Bank Development Gateway ... and just want to say that your conclusions seem to be very much in line with my own, though far better researched.

      The whole issue of how to monitor and control the resources of the official development assistance (ODA) organizations is a big subject, and while you work is very good, it is also not very powerful ... that is from a systemic management point of view.

      The fact is the funds got wasted, and in the future similar projects will waste more of the scarce resources available for "development investment". There is no systemic way of stopping it.

      I am a Cambridge trained engineer and economist, and a Coopers and Lybrand trained Chartered Accountant. In my 30s I was the CFO of a US based international company and was very much involved with the first wave of corporate computerisation and the introduction of a new era of management accounting in the corporate world. Later I did a lot of consulting work with the World Bank and the UN and other ODA organizations, and ruined my career by being rather outspoken about the lack of management information and the willingness of these institutions to turn a blind eye to obvious project failure and corruption.

      In my view it is long overdue that the international development advocacy community come together to implement an independent system that delivers on the promise of transparency, accounting and accountability, and effective monitoring and evaluation (TAAME). There are plenty of independent professionals interested in the issue, and there is very powerful technology at our disposal.

      In the past few months I have been enormously encouraged by the interest in implementing the TAAME program or something like it. Your work is a very relevant demonstration of why something like TAAME is needed so that development resources get used in the most effective way.

      Incidentally, TAAME, like ICT is not going to change anything on its own. Unless the other needed entities for supplying resources and implementing economic activities also exist and are able to function, TAAME is just another cost. But the TAAME concept which uses "management" information more than economic information, helps with performance metrics and identifies missing pieces and helps justify getting them established. It goes to the guts of who is responsible for bad decisions on indecision.

      Again, thank you for your work. I like it!

      Sincerely

      Peter B

      PS My apologies for "cross posting".
      ____________
      Peter Burgess
      in New York
      Tel: 212 772 6918
      Email: mailto:peterb@...
      Database http://www.afrifund.com/wiki/index.pcgi?page=AfrifundDatabase
      Coffee: http://afrifund.coffeefair.com
      Blog: http://taame.blogspot.com
    • vdgk
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
        Dear Vicky / Peter,

        I would like to supplement to what has been said by Peter, by
        adding, Total TRansparency and ACcountability (TRAC) is required in
        all projects. However much this is wished and attempted, because
        the human element is involved, this would not be fully possible.

        However, we explore menas to mitigate to the lowest level.

        Kris.

        --- In bytesforall_readers@yahoogroups.com, profitinafrica@a...