Re: [bytesforall_readers] R-Connect Wireless Internet on Simputer

  • kush@kward.org
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2003
      I had a reliance mobile before it got stolen (022-32747121) and had opted
      for the internet service at Rs 1200 (cost for the cable, CD and inbuilt
      modem) plus dialup charges(while you are connected you are billed for the
      telephone bills). The speed of the connection was much less than even a
      normal dialup connection (of 28.8 Kbps) ie less than a vsnl/mtnl dialup
      connection. The speed shown in the reliance webworld shop was phenomenal--
      around 8-10K bytes per sec whereas in practice i used to get only around 1 K
      byte per sec. It was pathetic trying to get the problem rectified-- reliance
      service never acknowledged or helped me improve the speed. I had a Laptop
      and had offered to even come to the webworld shop to get the settings tuned
      but they never responded. My house is just walking distance from the shop in
      Lokhandwala Andheri west.
      So on top of their exaggerated (ideal conditions) claim they had extremely
      bad service -- no response from customer service, etc. The billing is not
      transparent at all-- they routinely charge 2-3 times for the same number
      which has to be dialled atleast twice to get connected. The website
      relianceinfo.com used to crash the internet explorer etc. On top of all
      this, after losing the mobile reliance officials were asking me to pay for
      monthly rental charges ( they make you sign a contract of which you do not
      get a copy which says that you pay up a monthly rent for the remainder of
      the 3 years lock-in period even after you surrender the mobile and
      discontinue the service)
      Other people have reported better dialup speeds but it is never above the
      normal dialup speeds. My friend at nariman point used to get good speeds of
      connection around 3-4 K bytes per sec. So to sum up-- the experience of most
      people has been mixed.
      Unless reliance gives value for money and has a better product both in terms
      of technical features and better customer service its no use taking the
      service. In the metros 2004 should be the year of Wifi and in the interiors
      also that would be the trend in the coming years. Technology changes very
      fast and a disgruntled customer will spread the bad news more than a
      satisfied customer.

      Kush