What can public libraries do to their communities?

  • Subbiah Arunachalam
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2013
      Friends:

      Here is an excerpt from a news story I read recently:

      Westborough Public Library received first place in the Community Reading Programs category for last year's Westborough Reads Together project. Library Director Maureen Ambrosino was presented with a certificate by MLA Public Relations Committee during the PR Awards Ceremony. "This project has had a lasting impact on our community, and was a great example of how libraries can collaborate with their schools and other organizations to really make a difference for people," she said after learning about the award.

      This is just one of many ways small town and rural libraries can help the local people. We in India should take advantage of such examples.

      The public library at Nerkuppai (near Thiruppathur in Sivaganga District) and the Pennington Library in Srivilliputhur are doing will in providing some community related services beyond merely issuing books for reading.

      You may look up <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GRnwH-R3yQ> and other entries on the Somalay library at Nerkuppai.

      Best.

      Arun