Re: [bytesforall_readers] OLPC and Akash

  • Edward Cherlin
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 22, 2013
      Gihan,

      We are trying to help schoolchildren and their families and communities where the entire educational eco-system is broken or non-existent. Among other issues, our children may have had to cope with having no teachers, no textbooks, no schools, or learning in a second or third language. Many of them have to survive civil war, oppression, government corruption, lack of health care, water and food, and many other deficits.

      We are not the complete solution, by any means, but there is no complete solution without answers to the problems we address. We cannot look at this as an either/or problem. It must eventuallyf be all of the above.

      If you like, I can explain the design decisions for the OLPC XO and Sugar education software, and explain why other computers running other software are much less capable and much less effective in the classroom. I can also explain why we think that for the children in the worst regions, our computers are the best hope for getting help with all of the other problems.

      You cannot buy an XO at a store, but you can buy one on Ebay, and you can run Sugar software on a wide variety of computers, either by installing it as packages on Linux, or by booting a USB drive containing Sugar on a Stick. There are directions in the Sugar Labs Wiki, and we can assist you with the process.

      Satish,

      It is not helpful merely to tell others they are wrong, and to make them the "them" in an us vs. them conflict. You have to offer a path to better shared understanding, and make them part of us.

      On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Gihan Dias <gihan@...> wrote:

      On 2013/04/01 පෙ.ව. 5:29, S J wrote:
      Clearly you did not even stop to think about how Olpc was designed and works.
      Satish,

      I was about to apologise for not having studied the OLPC before replying, and then realised that this is part of the problem.

      I can't buy an OLPC at the neighborhood computer store, and the local programmer does not know how to develop apps or content, since the local computer school does not offer classes in OLPC development.

      Maybe the situation is different in other countries, but here in Sri Lanka the OLPC eco-system is non-existent.

      This is the issue I was trying to highlight.

      Regards,

      Gihan

      --
      Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin
    • S J
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 22, 2013
        Ed,

        I don't want to question anyone's learning. I have been doing my bit my way and have got more people using computers at schools in India than Negroponte, in the rest of the world, with whom I agree on the concept of Olpc and that is why I gave years of my life and every breath I took and moment I spent since July 2008. Its his minions I have challenges with as much as the Puritanism of Nicholas. I wish you could teach him what you just messaged me on a public forum!

        You are an amazing protagonist of Olpc yourself and hats off to you ( like a true Indian who does not wear a hat and just mouths the expression, no different from Aakash that does not exist beyond the fancy imagination of the rote- grown ambitious protagonists of that project that should be known more for changing its name than producing anything that helps anyone)

        @Satish_Jha
        +1 301 841 7422
        Sent from my iPhone5

        On 2013/04/01 පෙ.ව. 5:29, S J wrote:
        Clearly you did not even stop to think about how Olpc was designed and works.
        Satish,

        I was about to apologise for not having studied the OLPC before replying, and then realised that this is part of the problem.

        I can't buy an OLPC at the neighborhood computer store, and the local programmer does not know how to develop apps or content, since the local computer school does not offer classes in OLPC development.

        Maybe the situation is different in other countries, but here in Sri Lanka the OLPC eco-system is non-existent.

        This is the issue I was trying to highlight.

        Regards,

        Gihan

        --
        Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin

      • Gihan Dias
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 28, 2013
          On 2013/04/23 පෙ.ව. 5:01, Edward Cherlin wrote:

          > If you like, I can explain the design decisions for the OLPC XO and
          > Sugar education software, and explain why other computers running
          > other software are much less capable and much less effective in the
          > classroom. I can also explain why we think that for the children in
          > the worst regions, our computers are the best hope for getting help
          > with all of the other problems.
          Edward,

          Thanks. I think I grasp the rationale, but a brief explanation on this
          list may be useful.
          > You cannot buy an XO at a store,
          This is where our views diverge.
          If a computer is useful and cheap, it can be used for many other
          purposes than education. Producing larger quantities will also bring the
          cost down for everyone, and help create an ecosystem for app developers,
          repairers, etc. as we see with Android.
          > but you can buy one on Ebay, and you can run Sugar software on a wide
          > variety of computers, either by
          Yes. but Sugar still doesn't have the mindshare of even Ubuntu, so the
          average person would never consider running it.

          Gihan