Why Social Movements Should Ignore Social Media

  • Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2013

      Why Social Movements Should Ignore Social Media

      Future Perfect:
 The Case for Progress in a Networked Age

      By Steven Johnson

      Riverhead, 233 pp., $26.95

      There are two ways to be wrong about the Internet. One is to embrace cyber-utopianism and treat the Internet as inherently democratizing. Just leave it alone, the argument goes, and the Internet will destroy dictatorships, undermine religious fundamentalism, and make up for failures of institutions.1

      Another, more insidious way is to succumb to Internet-centrism. Internet-centrists happily concede that digital tools do not always work as intended and are often used by enemies of democracy. What the Internet does is only of secondary importance to them; they are most interested in what the Internet means. Its hidden meanings have already been deciphered: decentralization beats centralization, networks are superior to hierarchies, crowds outperform experts. To fully absorb the lessons of the Internet, urge the Internet-centrists, we need to reshape our political and social institutions in its image. ...

      http://www.newrepublic.com/article/112189/social-media-doesnt-always-help-social-movements

    • Edward Cherlin
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2013
        The excuses the rich and self-important make when concern trolling the poor to advise that they ignore everything that can help them.

        --
        Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin