WSIS Knowledge Communities discussion on 'Is Open Access Only for Rich Countries?'

  • Subbiah Arunachalam
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29 3:11 PM
      Message from Eve Gray

      "Is open access helping to reverse this global divide [in education and

      academic research] by increasing the exposure of developing country

      research? And what strategies are being used to achieve this goal? ...

      There are a number of questions that arise - most cogently, how has this

      focus on journals worked for the developing world?  Often the rhetoric

      for supporting either green or gold OA has been the advantage in getting

      higher citation rates in the ISI. Is this what we should be aiming for?

      ... But also, should we be focusing on journals? If we step away from

      developing world practices, what are the real publishing needs that face

      us?"

      Eve Gray wrote the above section introducing the ongoing WSIS Knowledge

      Communities discussion on 'Is Open Access Only for Rich Countries?'

      The discussion will advance through the next weeks, focusing on the

      following issues: translation, co-production and increasing access to

      academic materials; importance of OA in producing and sharing of

      non-state-supported educational materials; OA in academia and the search

      for global prestige; the perverse impact of metrics and rankings;

      scholarly knowledge production, sharing and consumption challenges in

      developing countries.

      Please let us invite you to follow and participate in this crucial

      debate about open access, education and the developing world.

      Link to the debate:

      http://www.wsis-community.org/pg/forum/topic/586392/is-open-access-only-for-rich-countries-participate-now-in-an-online-dialogue-on-open-access-and-the-developing-world/

      You can also participate in the discussion on Facebook:

      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Open-Access-debates/356010021156418

      Or tweet about it using the hashtag #developoa