Re: [bytesforall_readers] The Cost of Knowledge

  • Edward Cherlin
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2012
      On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM, V. Sasi Kumar <sasi.fsf@...> wrote:
      > On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 08:31 -0700, Subbiah Arunachalam wrote:
      >>
      >> More than 11,000 scientists around the world have signed The Cost of
      >> Knowledge. The number from India appears to be rather small.
      >> Scientists in India may kindly visit  http://thecostofknowledge.com/.
      >>

      >> Please spread the word.
      >
      > sir,
      >
      > I have added my signature and forwarded the mail to my colleagues. Let
      > us dream about a day when all scholarly publications will be Open Access
      > and all software will be Free.

      Let us, while we are at it, dream about a day in which all educational
      materials are Free, along with all economic and political information,
      and a day in which every student and every citizen has the means to
      access all of it. Perhaps even a day when all of this is considered an
      obvious human right, not to be subject to political whims or nonsense
      about countries not being able to afford such an investment. What
      countries cannot afford is financial and political secrecy and the
      resulting malfeasance. Failing to invest in full and unlimited
      education for all is costing India many trillions of dollars/some
      padmas of rupees.

      --
      Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin