Re: [bytesforall_readers] issues with mobile / wireless development in India

  • Ananya Guha
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2007
      One crucial issue which need to be addressed is education. Mobile telephony should be used for education, and literacy. Village resource centres, community information centres etc can use them to spread ideas on health, nutrition, micro credit et al.

      A.S.Guha
      IGNOU.

      Satish Jha <satish.jha@...> wrote:
      Indian experience with mobile telephony has been an exceptional example of what technologies that become user friendly can achieve even in low income, low literacy, low infrastructure environments. Country after country has had similar experiences. However, in more ways than one, the Indian story has been an interesting one..

      How will this unfold in the next 5 to 10 years?
      How will impact new business creation?
      What impact will it have on employment and income?
      What policy measures can augment or impede its evolution as we see it now?
      What are the key issues from the point of view of wisdom available in this group that we should start addressing now to have a desired impact in the 5+ years time frame?
      Between spectrum, technologies being created outside of India, applications where India has put its foot in the door, pricing, other regulatory measures, what will be how important in the years ahead?

      It will be great to have an informed discussion on these issues that can hugely impact the development path we may be on.

      Thanks

      --
      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
      Healthcare technology strategist Satish Jha chairs Digital Partners India and has worked in pharmaceuticals, pharmacy benefit management and healthcare provider space as an executive and consultant since early 90s. He led the the global IT function for a division of Roche, managed the applications integration for  Caremark following its merger with Advance and PCS and has supported several hospital systems in India and the US in improving information management capabilities. He chaired James Martin & Co and META Group in India, managed the US operations of Telos Consulting and co-founded and seeded a couple dozen technology based ventures including eHealth-Care Foundation. and Digital Partners India. He is also a former Editor of Dinaman of The Times of India Group and was one of the youngest Editors in the national press of India.

    • Satish Jha
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
        ananya,

        if we do not prioritise, everything is crucial, isn't it?

        my questions were to understand how people in these groups are thinking about these issues..

        clearly they either feel these are not the questions they need to address or the americans will keep addressing them for the rest of the world and we will use them like everything else since ww2 without directly contributing to it or they are available in the text books or whatever you care to imagine..

        however, i would like to think that a society engaged in shaping its own destiny has to be engaged in thinking through the issues that are going to shape the world we will live in..

        education is at the use level.. before we get there, we need to understand which technologies will emerge, which will have a chance to go forward, what will survive or die.. what will make things easier, cheaper, ubiquitous etc..

        thanks

        Satish Jha <satish.jha@...> wrote:
[...]

        ________________________________________________________________________________________________________

        _________________________________
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/satishjha
      • Ziaur Rahman
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
          Dear All,

          While we look at the development of technology and empowerment due to village phones, global network, telecom rates, we also need to look at the corporate responsibilities of these multinationals that are minting money with more coverage, access and getting more and more people to use the mobile or telephone networks.

          Let us not forget that every minute that we spend on the mobile network, someone somewhere is getting the financial benefits of this wonderful technology and related products. So, we need to ensure that the fruits of the benefits also transfer to the public in terms of these mega corporations openning up to the citizens of the developing countries through building a shareholder base. What is the benefit of this development unless some permanent transfer of wealth happens to the developing country and the third world?

          Let us keep this objective in our policy agenda while discussing development and pro-poor policies.

          Thank you.

          Ziaur Rahman
          Dhaka

          Satish Jha <satish.jha@...> wrote:
[...]

          CEO
          International Institute of Technology & Management
          56/2 Lake Circus, West Panthopoth
          Dhaka 1205
          Tel: 8112916, 01726153318, 01711-543431
          www.iitmbd.org

          &

          Chief Executive Officer
          IITM Software
          www.iitmsoftware.com
          info@...
        • Ananya Guha
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
            Yes Satish. You are right.What I mean to say is that technologial realities today should be closely connected with education-and of course its concomitants.

            Regards,

            Ananya.S.Guha.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
              This is the attitude that is the enemy of development..
              The individual is a better decision maker in his/her environment.. Why would you buy something unless it adds value to you? Corporations make money by making your life easier.. You buy their services because you need to, want to, benefit from and consider it worth your while to pay for it.. If they not market the tehnology and services we will live in dark ages..

              Corporations are also a social construct.. They behave just as most citizens do.. To see only evil and no good in them is a nice way to deny externality and keep away from the contributions those ahead on the learning curve make for the rest of the consumers.. Its time those who are still living below $1000 per capita income begin to see the reality eyes wide open rather than the ideological sun glasses of various colors they may like..