RE: FOSS and WSIS

  • Fouad Riaz Bajwa
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25 11:52 AM
      Dear Khalid,
      Thank you for your reply. Regarding what CRULP-FAST-NU or the NLA and
      National Library are doing with the issue of Urdu Language is of totally
      separate nature and is not a very public or transparent activity so far.
      Whereas the Urdu fonts/keyboard is available at the CRULP website, they are
      not available under Free or Open Source Licenses so that causes an
      implication for freedom of usage and derivation of works. CRULP is a member
      of and is funded by PAN Localization of IDRC, Canada.

      FOSSFP is an organization that promotes ICTs enablement through FOSS for
      reducing the digital divide and promoting knowledge development and
      innovation. Secondly the FOSS South Asian Consortium at BytesForAll is to
      (i) Build cross-border regional South Asian links among FLOSS campaigners,
      users and supporters
      ii) Share resources and building networks among those working on
      localization of FOSS, particularly on languages which have implications for
      more than one country in the region, or whose initiatives we can learn from
      (with a special emphasis on Urdu, Bengali, Nepali, the Devanagari script,
      smaller languages currently unsupported by FOSS and/or proprietary software,
      etc). In this way, we hope to complement, support and spread awareness about
      useful initiatives like IndicComputing, Ankur Bangla, and the MPP
      initiatives on Nepali localization. On the Urdu front, in particular, links
      between Pakistan and north India (particularly) are needed on the FOSS
      front.

      Where we continue to discuss these issues and reap nothing but
      comments/debates, it is suggested that you join our FOSS South Asian
      Consortium localization group and contribute in a meaningful manner and
      share your previous work and benefit from the currently available resources.

      Regards
      Fouad Riaz Bajwa
      General Secretary - FOSS Advocate