Re: Gamma frequencies

  • emcshadow
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2002
      > > What do gamma frequeincies relate to ? alertness ?
      > > relaxation ? and what freq range do they fall into in comparison
      > alpha, beta, etc

      There has been some intriguing research on the correlation of Gamma
      with various PSI phenomenon. Some notes I have about a study
      entitled ""40 Hz" brain activity, consciousness, and psi found the
      following curious results:

      "EEG data recorded from 22 frequent gamblers while they
      played a laboratory, video-gambling game. On each hand,
      four "cards" were presented sequentially in the center of a
      video screen using an interstimulus interval of 2600 ms and
      a stimulus duration of 330 ms in counterbalanced wager and
      nonwager blocks. Then, subjects guessed which card would
      later be selected as the target by a computerized, random
      process. Guessing accuracy was at chance level, p = .465,
      one-tailed binomial. EEG analyses focussed on 40 Hz power
      in the 150-500 msec latency window following delivery of
      the target and nontarget cards. ANOVAs indicated greater
      40 Hz power for targets than for nontargets over left-
      frontal scalp in both wager and nonwager conditions,
      F (1/21) = 7.87, p = .005, and over the right-posterior
      scalp in the wager condition, F (1/21) = 5.81, p = .013,
      both one-tailed.

      These findings indicate that

      1) 40 Hz activity is involved in the processing of psi
      information.

      2) the attentional mechanisms of the brain utilized in
      focused arousal are also utilized in processing psi
      information in the wager condition, although the
      left-frontal effect, found in both wager and nonwager
      conditions, is unlike the posterior-parietal locus of
      40 Hz effects observed by Sheer. Neither the left
      frontal nor the right parietal loci of effects overlay
      primary sensory areas of the cerebral cortex,
      suggesting that the 40 Hz effects we observed were
      not due to sensory processes.

      The present EEG findings are consistent with the notion of
      unconscious or preconscious psi. Guessing accuracy was at
      chance level and yet 40 Hz activity following target and
      nontarget stimuli differed significantly. Thus, although
      conscious behavior was not influenced by psi information,
      the differential brain responses indicated recognition at
      some level that the stimuli belonged to different
      categories. These findings in the frequency domain support
      and extend our previous findings with event-related brain
      potentials."

      -Enjoy
      -emc

      BioRecharge. Revitalizing Mind and Body with Entrainment.
      http://www.grasshopper.com
    • triggs_mich
      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2002
        It seems like with these gamblers, even if they didn't know which
        card of the four that would appear, a part of their brain obviously
        did know. It just wasn't communicating this information to the person
        consciously. (When it does communicate the information consciously,
        I'm willing to bet that's what intuition is.)

        Perhaps the trick then to bringing out the "psychicness"
        in people is to get the part of the brain generating the gamma waves
        to communicate better with the conscious mind. Perhaps a Brainwave
        Generator preset pairing up 40 HZ binaurals with other binaurals in
        the alpha and theta range?

        I got it - have a constant 40 HZ binaural at work - and then have a
        second binaural - start it around 12 HZ [always a good starting
        point], and gradually work it down into the theta range, which is
        associated with the subconscious. Then, after hanging around down
        there for a while, giving the brain an opportunity to "scoop up"
        anything in the subconscious, gradually work it back up into the
        alpha range [the bridge between subconscious and conscious), and
        maybe head up to about 14 HZ [wide awake + good for paying attention,
        I find].

        Hm, I should try programming this one. No guarantee it would work
        though. It always sounds great in theory, but what the preset
        actually ends up doing is anybody's guess.

        --
        Mike/Papercut Suicide
        http://www.lunarsight.com

        > "EEG data recorded from 22 frequent gamblers while they
        > played a laboratory, video-gambling game. On each hand,
        > four "cards" were presented sequentially in the center of a
        > video screen using an interstimulus interval of 2600 ms and
        > a stimulus duration of 330 ms in counterbalanced wager and
        > nonwager blocks. Then, subjects guessed which card would
        > later be selected as the target by a computerized, random
        > process. Guessing accuracy was at chance level, p = .465,
        > one-tailed binomial. EEG analyses focussed on 40 Hz power
        > in the 150-500 msec latency window following delivery of
        > the target and nontarget cards. ANOVAs indicated greater
        > 40 Hz power for targets than for nontargets over left-
        > frontal scalp in both wager and nonwager conditions,
        > F (1/21) = 7.87, p = .005, and over the right-posterior
        > scalp in the wager condition, F (1/21) = 5.81, p = .013,
        > both one-tailed.

        > The present EEG findings are consistent with the notion of
        > unconscious or preconscious psi. Guessing accuracy was at
        > chance level and yet 40 Hz activity following target and
        > nontarget stimuli differed significantly. Thus, although
        > conscious behavior was not influenced by psi information,
        > the differential brain responses indicated recognition at
        > some level that the stimuli belonged to different
        > categories. These findings in the frequency domain support
        > and extend our previous findings with event-related brain
        > potentials."
      • emcshadow
        Message 3 of 9 , May 25, 2002
          Hi Mike,

          Sounds like a fun experiment :-) I haven't run any of the monroe
          stuff through spectral analysis, but I have it from reliable sources
          that on many of his tapes, besides the deep delta/theta entrainments
          (monroe seems to really like 3.5), that he progressively introduces
          high gamma (up to 200Hz.) 40hz does seem to be one of those important
          window frequencies that need more research...

          "40 Hz brain activity may be a kind of binding mechanism, said Dr.
          Rodolfo Llinas a professor of neuroscience at New York University.

          Llinas believes that the 40-cycle-per-second wave serves to connect
          structures in the cortex where advanced information processing
          occurs, and the thalamus, a lower brain region where complex relay
          and integrative functions are carried out."

          Good luck with your preset, let us know what happens!
          -emc
          http://www.grasshopper.com

          --- In bwgen@y..., "triggs_mich" <mtriggs886@a...> wrote:
          > It seems like with these gamblers, even if they didn't know which
          > card of the four that would appear, a part of their brain obviously
          > did know. It just wasn't communicating this information to the
          person
          > consciously. (When it does communicate the information consciously,
          > I'm willing to bet that's what intuition is.)
          >
          > Perhaps the trick then to bringing out the "psychicness"
          > in people is to get the part of the brain generating the gamma
          waves
          > to communicate better with the conscious mind. Perhaps a Brainwave
          > Generator preset pairing up 40 HZ binaurals with other binaurals in
          > the alpha and theta range?
          >
          > I got it - have a constant 40 HZ binaural at work - and then have a
          > second binaural - start it around 12 HZ [always a good starting
          > point], and gradually work it down into the theta range, which is
          > associated with the subconscious. Then, after hanging around down
          > there for a while, giving the brain an opportunity to "scoop up"
          > anything in the subconscious, gradually work it back up into the
          > alpha range [the bridge between subconscious and conscious), and
          > maybe head up to about 14 HZ [wide awake + good for paying
          attention,
          > I find].
          >
          > Hm, I should try programming this one. No guarantee it would work
          > though. It always sounds great in theory, but what the preset
          > actually ends up doing is anybody's guess.
          >
          > --
          > Mike/Papercut Suicide
          > http://www.lunarsight.com
        • hararghost
          Message 4 of 9 , May 26, 2002
            you dont need to use binaural beats to be able to hear 40hz. this frequency is in the hearing range of the human ear. i dont think listening to 40hz tones would affect the working frequencies of the brain as much as hearing something which is otherwise supposed to be inaudible, like tones below the 20hz mark made using binaural beats.

          • Micah Caldwell
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 22 7:53 AM
              I am new to this group and binaural beats but this post really caught
              my interest. Although I consider myself quite open to new things
              (normal and paranormal) I usually don't get interested until there is
              some scientific proof that such things exist. While doing some
              research on brainwave frequencies I came across this post and I was
              wondering if anyone has looked more into this or knows of any other
              information/studies on the same topic?

              What intrigues me the most about this is that unlike a normal scenario
              where the "players" could have been sub consiously picking up ques
              (ie: slight disformation in various playing cards, dealer "tells", or
              even subconsiously counting cards) this scenario uses a computer which
              displays all cards exactly equal. And on top of that the upcoming
              target card is not chosen until _after_ the players have given their
              40hz response.

              As someone else mentioned in this thread, perhaps there is some way to
              tap into that precognitave resource. I am unsure if binaural beats
              are the solution but I thought this group would be the best to bring
              it up with.

              A good test (for anyone who happens to have access to an EEG machine
              =)) would be to re-run this "game" after entraining the subjects to
              various binaural beats.

              For example, the first, and most obvious test, would be to entrain the
              subject to a 40hz binaural beat and then run the game again. A number
              of things could happen such as, 1) their success rate of guessing
              cards goes up, 2) their success stays the same but the 40hz response
              to the target card increases, 3) their success rate stays the same but
              there are other frequency results that show other parts of their brain
              responding to the target card, 4) no change from before.

              After that similar tests could be run on players subjected to theta
              beats, putting them into a state of mind where they aren't really
              thinking about their choice but rather just making it (illogically).
              Or maybe even a delta beat (assuming you can keep them awake somehow).
              Perhaps the tests could actually be run on a sleeping subject (in
              REM) just to see if they respond to the game even though they aren't
              consiously playing it.

              Also, to further this study, I wonder if the 40hz response is lowered
              the further out the result is determined? That is, what if the result
              is not calculated and displaed until a number of hours later?

              What about women vs men? Perhaps "Women's intuition" is actually true
              and women respond more strongly than men via 40hz brainwaves. Or
              perhaps women just have a stronger link to the precog part of their
              brain.

              Does age play a part? The same test could be run on children, youth,
              and adults.

              I think that this is a very interesting field of study and if anyone
              knows of any ways I can help further such research let me know.

              Maybe I'll write my own card game program and test my results before
              and after exposing myself to various binaural beats to see if my
              success rate improves at all (slow process as I'll have to play such a
              game thousands of times to get accurate results)

              Or, perhaps, I'm just seeing more into this whole thing then is really
              there. If this is the case could someone please put me in my place?

              -Micah

            • rhinofoob
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 23 11:11 AM
                Hi, I'd like to brainstorm along with this one:)
                I think there might be some other answers possible to the reaction on
                40 Hz pulse. My theory is that the 40 Hz pulse is used normally by
                the brain like a sort of acknowledge signal. Like in saying "i
                understood, and will store the message". ----A 40-Hz rhythm occurred
                just prior to the subject's answering the question. Forty--Hz pulses
                are thought to lead to synchronization + coordination of neurons
                assigned to the processing of incoming sensory stimulation. Put
                in "computerese," 40-Hz may be the brain's "operating system"
                frequency [GIA via DW]----
                If that is the case, then the 40 Hz stimulation may do nothing more
                then say acknowledge at all time. Besides that binaural beats are
                called hemi-sync as well,which literally means synchronizing both
                your left and right parts of the brain.So asuming a profesional
                gambler thinks espacialy with one part of the brain during gambling.
                when synchronised(with in this case 40 Hz) problems are analized from
                more points of view, resulting maybe in smarter desisions.(note that
                for example a real gambler(or at least some) doesn't really matter if
                a gambling machine has just been emptied; like on drugs..a person
                thinks diferently. So asuming that 40 Hz is just an acknowledge
                signal, that by itself does not contain info... this does open
                perspective. Think of how much more effective learning entrainment
                mould be if on the right moments 40 Hz pulses are be added. or maybe
                a bit stranger.. macro a button to be a 40 Hz entrainment pulse when
                pushed. and push it everytime after you learn a word/line/story. like
                pushing the store button but then for the brain. (hmm, i have a uge
                hangover, so i hope i wrote propper english if not sorry:)
                greets
                ps. the things you are into.. search google on remote viewing, or
                kazaa, or go to psy tech.com or so:) you'l find what you search
                there:)

              • Planet Home
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 23 11:36 AM
                  Hmm..

                  Your suggestions on the 40Hz stimulant sounds very handy! I am very eager to experiment with this! The possibilities could be pretty broad...

                  How did you arrive at your acknowledgement theory? I'd like to research this if you have any sources for support.

                  Thanks,
                  Michael
                  lucidquest.com

> [...]

                  > > left-frontal effect, found in both wager and nonwager
                  >

                  > > conditions, is unlike the posterior-parietal locus of
                  >

                  > > 40 Hz effects observed by Sheer. Neither the left
                  >

                  > > frontal nor the right parietal loci of effects overlay
                  >

                  > > primary sensory areas of the cerebral cortex,
                  >

                  > > suggesting that the 40 Hz effects we observed were
                  >

                  > > not due to sensory processes.
                  >

                  > > The present EEG findings are consistent with the notion of
                  >

                  > > unconscious or preconscious psi. Guessing accuracy was at
                  >

                  > > chance level and yet 40 Hz activity following target and
                  >

                  > > nontarget stimuli differed significantly. Thus, although
                  >

                  > > conscious behavior was not influenced by psi information,
                  >

                  > > the differential brain responses indicated recognition at
                  >

                  > > some level that the stimuli belonged to different
                  >

                  > > categories. These findings in the frequency domain support
                  >

                  > > and extend our previous findings with event-related brain

                • rhinofoob
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 24 12:20 AM
                    the piece of text i copied came from
                    www.geocities.com/rhinofoob/brain.html. Most other frequency lists
                    use the same sources, so it doesn't realy matter if you use an other
                    list. The way i wrote was the way i interpretated the text from 40
                    Hz. It might be a wrong interpretation, decide that for your self.
                    I'd like to combine this reply with a reply towards the question if
                    bwgen can be dangorous. there are a few frequencies that can be
                    considered dangerous. 5-7 Hz can kill a person (this info came from
                    elf gun sources so probably will not negativly effect a person on
                    bwgen 9,11,16 Hz may cause ion migration(braintissue) and 43 - 193 Hz
                    can cause spreading of cancer. So how to interpretate this. The
                    frequency lists used are mostly the same(this is dangerous, the
                    sources sometimes are very old, and virification is not widely used
                    becouse of this) 2nd a lot of the frequencies and their uses are not
                    written down precise enough. The fact is that some of the effects
                    only occur with zb electronig stimulation. or maybe some other kind
                    of stimulation, but will not have the same effect if some other kind
                    of stimulation is used. So if you plan to just copy frequencies,
                    rather copy the freq in google first and check if it really does what
                    it sais. so for excample the brain tissue migration may only occur
                    when using electro, but it may also be it only occurs with light, or
                    sound. So far the warning.
                    greetings

                    Service.