Re: [bwars] Leaf-cutter?

  • Bernard Hocking
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
      I agree with Adrian, but am not in any way an expert.
       Saw a Bombus terrestris Queen fly briefly over a Mahonia at Hayle on 29 th. Dec 2008, don't think it stopped but decided it was too cold and flew off at speed.
      B.terrestris workers still here at Rospannel Farm on 27th. Dec 2008 on Mahonia.
      Happy New Year to All
      Bernard
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
        And a happy New Year to you too [and all BWARS members] Adrian. Thanks to you and Bernard for your help. I do have that British Wildlife magazine and M. centuncularis does look favourite. I thought it might be M. willughbiella on the size [and the fact that it too is common!], but having googled some images the latter looks much more 'hirsute' than my example. I get them regularly each year in the garden but have yet to find their nests - or cutting activity.
        I've uploaded another view of the same bee to my Flickr photostream at:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/15121707@N00/3156745812/ if it's of any help.
        Cheers,

        Steve [VC7/8]
        This mail is a natural product. The