Haitian Dance Events from BVHM Teacher - October 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2013
    Dear Parents,
    Please read below for a message about the Haitian Dance festival, organized by our own BVHM Wednesday and Thursday dance teacher, Djenane St. Juste.
    Please check it out!
    Thanks
    Bob

    Hello Beautiful community of Buena Vista,

     My family and I we are organizing the Haitian Festival in san Francisco and the bay area from October 11 to October 26th , 2013.

     It takes a village to put on a Haitian festival, therefore, we need arts lovers, dancers , singers, drummers, activists and community oriented people like you to help run this great event for  the growth of Haitian culture in the Bay area.

    It will mean a lot for us if you can attend at least one of the events.

    Mesi anpil,

    Djenane.

    ** SPREAD THE WORD & MARK YOUR CALENDAR! **

    AFOUTAYI IV Annual Haitian Dance, Music & Arts Festival is coming up soon.

    Amazing group of artist from Haiti and the bay area will lead you through a spectacular cultural experience… There are also master classes and events for children as well as for adults where you will get to move your body, learn about Haitian culture, dance, sing, enjoy Haitian food in a welcoming, loving community!!

    Bring your children... they will love it!   The show will be a tribute to four Revolutionary Haitian Artists, singer Lucienne Pierre, journalist and poet Jacques Roche, storyteller Mimi Barthelemy, and drummer Frisner Augustin.

    Check out the YOUTUBE links below and really come to at least one, if not all of the events of the festival, I will see you there!!!

    AYIBOBO!

    Full Program of the Festival

    Friday October 11: Haitian Festival Opening Ceremony

    (917 C Street, San Rafael, CA 94901)

    Contact: ngonzalez@...

    Cost: Donation!

    Sunday October 13: Haitian Festival Workshops In Marin

    Children: 1:30pm to 2:45pm (Dance, storytelling, songs and drumming)

    Adults:   2:45pm to 4:00pm (Singing class / drumming class)

    4:00pm to 6:00pm (Master Dance class for)

                Address:  Dance with Sherry Studio

    (4140 Redwood Hwy San Rafael, CA 94903)

                 Cost: $5 children/ $12 Adults per class (cash only)

    Monday October 14: “My heroes has always killed colonizers”

    Performance at 518 Valencia San Francisco, Ca

    Thursday October 17: Performance “Ochan Potomitan”

    Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts at 6:30pm

    Address: 2868 Mission St San Francisco, CA 94110

    Cost: $12 children/ $15 Adults

    Friday October 18: Performance “Ochan Potomitan”

    Dance Mission Theater 8pm

    3316 24th St San Francisco, CA 94110

    Cost: $12 children/ $15 Adults

    October 21:  Master Dance Class/ All levels

    Mission Cultural Center for Latino arts from 7:30 to 9:00pm

    Address: 2868 Mission St San Francisco, CA 94110

    Contact: outreach@...

    Cost: $15 youth & Adults

    Saturday October 26: Performance & Dance party/ Afoutayi & Baobab

    Bissap Baobab 6:00pm to 7:30pm

    3372 19th St San Francisco, CA 94110

    Donation!

    Our Amazing Artists

    Fabienne Denis Haiti en Folie - Montreal July 24, 2010.MP4 - YouTube

    Djenane Saint Juste Djenane St.Juste : Yanvalou - YouTube

    Samba Zao samba-zao-kava-bar.mov - YouTube

    Jeff Pierre Jeff pierre-Improvisation- Haitian Drums & Congas - YouTube

    Vivien Bassouamina Vivien Bassouamina - YouTube

    Diego Jameau Images for diego jameau

    Zeke Nealy  Mozel Zeke Nealy - San Francisco Ballet

    Laure Fleurentin  Laure Fleurentin Profiles | FacebookLaure Fleurentin)Laure Fleurentin)Laure Fleurentin)

    Themistocle Betancourt Grupo Experimental Nago performs Petro - YouTube

    And many more…

    AYIBOBO

    Djenane St Juste
    AfoutayiDMACO Artistic Director
    (415)574-7205

    On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Robert Armstrong <strongarm_art@...> wrote:
    Dear All,
    Please read below for information about the latest offerings from MCCLA.
    Thanks
    Bob

     Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts

    September-October 2013
    Upcoming Events

     ---

    EVENTS:
    Day of the Dead (ongoing until Nov. 2nd)

    Veterans Film Festival (10-5)
    Raices del Barrio ( 10-12)
    Traditional Haitian Dance Festival (10-17)

    Litquake: Poema Mujer/ Poetry Woman (10-18)
    Litcrawl: CantoMundo (10-19)
    Flamenca (10-25)
    Morir con Elegancia/ To die with Elegance(10-26)

    MCCLA Dia de los Muertos Exhibition

    The Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts (MCCLA) invites the public to participate and celebrate "La Llorona: Llanto de vida y muerte en el Distrito de la Mission" (La Llorona: Weeping for the life and death of the Mission District).  Produced by MCCLA and Curated by Dr. Martina Ayala.

     This year we will have altars honoring Carlos Ramirez, Rafael Manriquez, Juan Lopez, and DulceMorales.  The theme will render artistic representations of life and death of the Mission District we used to know and experience it, as well as the renewal and current changes that the local community is facing.

    New additions to the exhibit will include a Day of the Dead Cake and Sugar Decorating Contest and an interactive Children's Village in the MCCLA Lobby where families can bring their children to celebrate and learn about the tradition of the Day of the Dead.

    Public programs include; Day of the Dead Workshops beginning September 14 through October 16, 2013.  Workshops for all ages will engage in creating multimedia projects as well as arts and crafts workshops in Papel Picado, altar making, Paper Mache and Totomoxtli (dry corn husk) "Catrina" and "Frida" figures, and "Mojigangas" by special guest artisans Alejandro Chirino and Miguel Angel Sequeyro representing Foro Binniza a non-profit organization from Mexico City, that promotes and disseminates art and culture, supporting independent artists from Mexico, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

    Important Dates

    November 2, 2013: 6pm-11pm -- Day of the Dead Celebration at MCCLA

    October 16 - November 23  Exhibit Run

    September 14 - October 12 (Saturdays) Workshops $10

    October 26  Sneak Preview - VIP Reception - $50

    October 30  "Cocina de Muertos" Artist panel discussion - Cake and Sugar Skull Decorating Awards

    To participate as a volunteer or event sponsor please contact :
    doctora.martina@...
    415-702-9473
    For more information regarding school guided tours and event contact:
    Lillian Botello at 821-1155,   for exhibit, gallery, and Mole Contest contact :
    Sheila Hernandez at 643-2775
    or go to www,missionculturalcenter.org for updated information on related Day of the Dead Events www.missionculturalcenter.org.

        For more info go to: Dia De los Muertos

    Saturday October 5 / 12pm - 6pm Movie Screenings
    6pm - 9pm Fundraiser / Donations / Theatre

    The 2nd Annual San Francisco Veterans Film Festival will take place on Oct 5, 2013. San Francisco is a magnet for all, to include our men and women who have served this great nation. The SFVFF is an opportunity for the community to come to get educated on the issues facing our returning vets. This year we will "Salute to Women", don't ask don't tell, women in combat, same sex marriage, and all issues facing our service members. Please join us. For more information: please contact Eddie Ramirez at 415 244-7100 or email at eduardo.ramirez@...
    Saturday October 12 / 7:30pm / $13 for General Audience / Theatre
    MCCLA presents a night of live music for the community, and celebrating Indigenous Peoples Day. Come out and enjoy a night of cultura, resitencia, and remembrance of our ancestor struggles. We will have live performances by Cempoalli 20 backed by Raiz Organica out of Los Angeles, bringing barrio roots reggae. Also there will be Kaila Love, who is a rapper, singer, and entrepreneur from the Bay Area. Come out to a night of music, consciousness, and community.

    FOR TICKETS:
    CLICK HERE
    Thursday October 17 / 6:30pm / $15 Adults -$12 children / Theatre

    Poto Mitan will honor and tell the stories of a singer, a journalist, a storyteller, and a drummer - four Haitian artists that shaped the way the world saw Haiti and Haiti saw itself. Choreographer and artistic director Djenane Saint-Juste will utilize traditional Haitian rhythms and dances and fuse them with contemporary movement to tell the stories of Lucienne Pierre, Jacques Roche, Mimi Bartelemy, and Frisner Augustin. This homage will present an image of Haiti that is not often depicted in the news: one of strength and beauty.

    FOR TICKETS: CLICK HERE
    Friday October 18 / 7:00pm / Free Admission / Lobby & Theatre

    Litquake and MCCLA are proud to present the Book reléase Party of two iconic poets, Nina Serrano (Oakland) and Teresa Palazzo Conti (Argentina).

    Nina Serrano is a San Francisco Bay Area poet, activist, radio producer and educator. This year (2013) she released her poetic trio HEART SUITE including HEART'S JOURNEY 1980-1999 and HEART STRONG 2000-2012, by Estuary Press.

    Teresa Palazzo, Argentinian poet, with eight books published and winner of international prizes. Her bilingual book "Alegato de mujer/ A Woman's Plea" contains photographs by Bay Area artist Adrian Arias. Published by Mariposa Blanca.

    Saturday October 19 / 8:30pm / Donation / Theatre

    The CantoMundo Fellowship's vision is to develop, sustain, and support a diverse community of Latin@ poets from different backgrounds, ethnicities, and sexualities. Nuestras voces son fuertes!.

    Juan Luis Guzmán earned an MFA from CSU, Fresno. A member of Macondo and CantoMundo, his work has appeared in Huizache, CRATELit, and Pilgrimage, among other publications. Writer and educator, Leticia Hernández-Linares, has performed her poemsongs throughout the country, and in El Salvador. She lives, works, and writes in the Mission District. Manuel Paul López is the author of Death of a Mexican and other Poems and The Yearning Feed. He currently lives in San Diego, Califas. Deborah Paredez is the author of This Side of Skin and the critical study, Selenidad: Selena, Latinos, and the Performance of Memory. She is the co-founder of CantoMundo. Luivette Resto was born in Puerto Rico. Unfinished Portrait was a finalist for the 2009 Paterson Poetry Prize. Ascension was published in 2013, by Tia Chucha Press.

    Friday October 25 / 8:00pm / $20 General $18 youth and seniors with Id / Theatre

    A celebration of the feminine spirit through the music and dance of Flamenco. The dynamic vocals of Gypsy Flamenco singer Kina Mendez weave with the Latin melodies of the harp, the soaring flute and soulful violin. With deep rhythm, powerful staccato footwork and sensuous arms the dancers create portraits of the iconic 'Flamenca.' An all female cast featuring singer Kina Mendez, dancer Melissa Cruz and dancer/Artistic Director Kerensa DeMars with Amelia Romano, Katja Cooper, Rebecca Kleinmann, and Pamela Nicolas.

    BUY TICKETS: CLICK HERE
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 / $50 donation
    6:30 pm - 9:30 pm

    You are cordially invited to attend The MCCLA Day of the Dead Sneak Preview to benefit MCCLA's Art Education Programs. Performances by La Tania & Las Flamencas Muertas and Classic Guitar Interlude by Manolo Dávila,  Music by Rico Pabon, Drinks and Appetizers.

    BUY TICKETS: CLICK HERE
    Save the Dates!
    Day of the Dead Deadlines
    Veterans Film Festival 10/5
    Raices del Barrio10/12
    Traditional Haitian Festival 10/17
    Poema Mujer/ Poetry Woman10/18
    Litcrawl: CantoMundo 10/19
    Flamenca 10/25
    Morir con Elegancia 10/27
    Quick Links...
    Join Our Mailing List!

    Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts
    2868 Mission St. San Francisco, CA 94110
    415-643-2796 (Media and Events)
    415-643-2785 (Box Office)