Free Youth Workshops in September | Meet WritersCorps | Poem a Month

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2013
      Dear All,
      Please read below for some great offerings from Writers Corp.
      Thanks
      Bob

      Poem a Month Newsletter - August 2013 Issue
      Word @ SFPL - Starts Sep 17
      Make/Do - Apply by Sep 3
      CREATE - Apply by Sep 6
      Meet WritersCorps: Rose Tully
      New Books
      Poem of the Month
      Lesson of the Month

      Free After-School Workshop - Word

      Get creative with WritersCorps on Tuesdays after school at the San Francisco Main Public Library! Open to ages 12 to 19.

      Workshop starts Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 4-6 p.m., in the SFPL Teen Center (100 Larkin Street).
      Questions? Contact Eric Hannan at ehannan@... or 415-557-4426. More info here

      Earn a Stipend! Workshop for Bayview Youth - Make/Do

      This workshop is for youth ages of 14 and 22 who live, work, and/or attend school in District 10 (Bayview Hunters Point, Potrero Hill, Dogpatch, and Visitacion Valley), and are interested in creative writing and/or art-making.

      Applications due Tuesday, September 3, 2013, 5:00 p.m.

       Fall session starts September 9. More info here.

      Workshop for Young Women - CREATE

      Through a partnership with Oasis For Girls, WritersCorps offers CREATE, a program for teen girls to build confidence through self-expression in the arts. The group will create writing and art, and take field trips to literary and art events. Students will also earn a stipend ranging from $300 to $500. Open to girls ages 14 to 17.

      Applications are due September 6, 2013. More info here.

      Meet WritersCorps: Rose Tully

      Meet WritersCorps teaching artist Rose Tully, who teaches at Downtown High School and the San Francisco Main Public Library.

      What's your advice to young writers seeking to branch out and become more serious with their craft?

      Read, read, read.

      If you want to major in creative writing, don't let people tell you that school is a "waste" or will "ruin your talent," because how is school going to ruin your talent-- with a Grace Paley poem? I've seen at least 5 people ruined or dead by partying too much and 0 ruined by school, so those are my numbers.

      Unfortunately, in this country, you need a "real" job because this isn't Denmark where you can be like, "I'm an artist," and they say, "Cool, here's some money." So if you like to write, be a phlebotomist or something. Whatever you think is cool to support your writing. And then just write.

      Read the rest of Rose's interview

      New WritersCorps Books!

      Students at all of our sites have been working hard this year with their WritersCorps teaching artists to write and revise work for our annual student anthologies.

      We're so proud to have the books up on our store, available for purchase!
      For as little as $10, including shipping and handling, you can enjoy the work of these fresh voices, while supporting the work of WritersCorps.

      Bok Choy

      Green as the green grass on a spring day

      Leafy as a big tree

      Lots of lines like a zebra

      Bok Choy

      Braised in chicken broth

      Tasty as a piece of steak

      Sweet as a piece of chocolate

      Bok Choy

      You are the greatest plant of all

      So short yet so tall

      King of all

      Bok Choy

      --Benjamin Wong, 14

      From the WritersCorps 2013 book
      Painted in Rainby students at Aptos Middle School.

      Lesson of the Month

      Ode to Jell-O and Other Stuff

      1. Introduce the ode to your students by reading a variety of odes, such as those by Pablo Neruda, Gary Soto's Neighborhood Odes, or Lucille Clifton's poem "Homage to My Hips."

      2. Ask students what they think the word ode means, based on the poems they just read. What do these poems have in common?

      3. On the chalkboard or on chart paper, write the elements of an ode.

      4. Ask students to think of an ordinary thing that they like and would want to write an ode to. One group of WritersCorps students, ages 9-12, wrote odes to Jell-O, hopscotch, and kickball.

      5. If you feel that your group is ready for a more specific challenge, ask students to write an ode that teaches about the subject and persuades the reader of its importance.

      Adapted from the WritersCorps publication "Jump Write In!"

      Find us on Facebook  Follow us on Twitter  View our videos on YouTube View our photos on flickr  Find us on Pinterest

      For more information on WritersCorps, visit our website or join us on Facebook

      WritersCorps is a joint project of the San Francisco Arts Commission and the San Francisco Public Library.

      This email was sent to strongarm_art@... by alexandra.wilder@... |
      San Francisco Arts Commission | 25 Van Ness Ave | Suite 345 | San Francisco | CA | 94102