Las Posadas

  • Jeff Gillenkirk
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2004
      Dear Susana,

      Thank you for your sensitivity to this -- and your offer to teach the kids
      some songs. As an ex-Catholic and current left-winger, I appreciate the
      possible conflict. But Christmas, as far as I understand it, is a
      celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. To be self-conscious about singing
      songs commemorating that approaches cultural paralysis (Las Posadas itself
      is a commemoration of that very event). The birth of the myth/reality of
      Christ has nothing to do with the unfortunate institutions and dogma built
      upon it. The original story is a sweet, innocent tale of a child born in a
      time of war and oppression to bring light and hope to the world, which
      modern America has transformed into an orgy of piped-in carols and Jack
      Frost and Santa Claus hawking plastic toys and bad perfume.

      Let the children sing of this birth of light and hope. Let them sing of
      Hanukah and Kwanzaa and Ramadan too. Surely there can be no more harm in
      letting our children glimpse the possibility of the divine, than reveling in
      the myths of Mr. and Mrs. Claus, Rudolph, and overworked elves
      mass-producing toys for Macy's and K-Mart.

      Merry Christmas!
      Jeff Gillenkirk

      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Posadas
      > From: Suzann Baldwin <lasusi@...>
      > 2. Re: Posadas
      > From: Hagelshawj@...

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:32:58 +0800
      > From: Suzann Baldwin <lasusi@...>
      > Subject: Posadas
      >
      > Hello bv parents and community,
      > The other day Mark approached the staff with an invitation form the
      Posadas
      > organizers to perform a few of our songs from the winter program at the
      > event. The staff had to turn down the invitation for lack of rehearsal
      time.
      > Then, I thought I could teach a couple of Spanish Christmas carols to a
      > group of interested children, and they could perform them at the Posadas.
      > Something very simple, two rehearsals, no fuss.
      > But I am concerned about the heavy (and I mean heavy) religious content of
      > the Christmas carols (called villancicos in Spanish) and I wanted to get
      the
      > community's feedback beforehand. I hope that if anybody feels that this
      is
      > inappropriate they will let me know and I will happily withdraw my offer.
      > Not that I need more work anyway.
      > Also, please comment this with other parents who might not have access to
      > the internet. Let me know before Monday. If you wish your response to
      remain
      > confidential, you can email me at lasusi@...
      > Thank for reading this long message!
      > Susana
      > K/1 teacher

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:21:25 EST
      > From: Hagelshawj@...
      > Subject: Re: Posadas
      >
      > Anything implying 'religion' is a setup for a potential
      backlash...regardless
      > of innocent intent. I think most families would be appreciative of the
      > cultural aspect/learning opportunity. But, it only takes one person to
      disagree.

      > Julie

    • scott
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2004
        oy veh

        on the lighter side - if anyone goes to Office Depot or shops there
        online, please use our
        ID#70014018 and we will get 5% of the purchase donated to our school
        if anyone works for a large company doing lots of shopping this can
        really add up

        Scott

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 20, 2004
          As Art Coordinator, I support music, singing and performing, and feel the
          benefits of these outweigh any potential conflicts about religion. You are
          not proselytizing. Please go forward.
          Thanks, Bob

          From: scott <scott@...>
          To: bvpta@yahoogroups.com