RE: [bvpta] Posadas

  • Tracy Zapata
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 19, 2004
      I agree. I would much rather hear the singing of the children than parents complaining. It is also a wonderful way to have the children participate and give something to the BV community. Thanks for offering, Susana! Let us know if you need any help.

      Tracy Zapata

      Paul Collins <metapaul@...> wrote:

      Susana - I really appreciate the offer, and (unfortunately just speaking for myself - I apologize) I hope it can happen.  I'd say the same whatever religion the songs represented - because I know you connect with the kids you work with, and I love hearing kids sing. I'd let them choose if they want to join.

      I hope (someday?) we can all distinguish between religious tolerance (no abuse of power, fighting oppression) and diversity of expression (differences are good).  If 1 (or 10) parents disagree, it's an opportunity for community dialogue, but not reason (necessarily) to take away from the Posadas.

      Paul Collins

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 19, 2004
        Message
        Hey Susana,

        I don't have any objections. Ramon is willing, but you will need to decide if he is able.

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 20, 2004
          Suzanna, I appreciate your thoughtfulness and sensitivity in presenting the
          dilemma of wanting to teach beautiful songs that may be culturally
          appropriate but have deep religious content. And I'm again saddened at the
          tone of people's responses when discussion of sensitive issues are put
          forth. Disrespectful poo-pooing of people's concerns and/or objections does
          not make for productive dialogue. There are good reasons why religious
          content in public schools is a hot button issue no matter how well
          intentioned the matter. It deserves serious (and polite) conversation.
          Lauren

          P.S. and please trim your posts!
        • Paul Collins
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 20, 2004

            Hi.  Anyone not agree w/ this? -

            So far, we've had a few Ayes, no objections, and a couple of requests to anticipate objections or to handle them respectfully should they come up.  Seems fair.

            Unless offline conversations tilt those scales, seems like Susana can move forward, and let us know how to sign our (willing) kids up.

            Paul

          • oceanrush_berg
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 7, 2010
              Friday 12/10 6 PM

              Potluck - please bring a food item to share.
            • Aldaz, Maria E
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 13, 2010
                Posadas en la Calle 24    Viernes 17 de Diciembre
                Posadas on 24th Street    Friday, December 17

                5:45     Reunirse en la esquina de las Calles 24 y Capp
                        Meet at the corner of 24th and Capp Streets

                6:00    Procesión por la calle 24
                        Procession on 24th Street

                7:00    Celebración comunitaria en el Teatro Brava (2781 Calle 24 esq. Calle York) con comida y bebidas gratis, música en vivo y piñatas
                        Community celebration at the Brava Theater (2781 24th Steet at York) with free food and drink, live music, and piñatas

                Se provee velas, bengalas y la letra de las canciones
                Candles, sparklers and song lyrics provided

                Patrocinado por La Asociación de Vecinos y Negocios de la Calle 24
                Sponsored by the Lower 24th Street Merchants and Neighbors Association

                IMPORTANT: The sender intends that this electronic message is for exclusive use by the person to whom it is addressed. This message may contain information that is confidential or privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication, or the use of its contents, is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender of your inadvertent receipt and delete this message from all data storage systems. Thank you.