Academy of Sciences: 'Tis the Season for Educators!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2011

      Dear All,
      Please check out the offerings from the education department at the Academy of Sciences in GG Park!
      Thanks,
      Bob

      Message body

      pretty jellyCAS logo

      Educator Bulletin Board - December 2011

      Educator Extravaganza A day at the Academy just for teachers!

      Educator Extravaganza Skulls

      Hundreds of teachers participate in the first annual Educator Extraveganza!

      Educators from all over the Bay Area spent an exciting afternoon last month exploring the museum and its resources.

      In addition to all of the regular offerings of the Academy, educators had their choice of over 20 different workshops, behind-the-scenes tours, and 3 science talks. The event was capped off with a reception, giving everyone a chance to socialize with other Bay Area educators. Educator Extravaganza Ornithology

      We hope to run similar events in the future for even more fabulous Bay Area teachers! Keep an eye out for more information.

      FREE After School Science Classes!

      Interns Teaching Sign up for free afterschool science classes taught by our high school and college interns. We come to you for four one-hour classes!

      We teach a variety of classes for Kindergarten - 8th graders in San Francisco schools.

      Email Melissa Tang for more information.

      'Tis the Season for Science !

      Reindeer on the Roof! Do partridges really live in pear trees? Is nutmeg really a nut? And what do reindeer actually eat?

      Find out this holiday season during 'Tis the Season for Science at the Academy—eight weeks of wintry festivities and family fun that will celebrate the science behind some of our most familiar holiday sights, sounds, and traditions. From November 23 - January 16, visitors will be invited to meet a pair of live reindeer, wander through an aromatic "Spice Forest," learn about the science of snow inside a "Snowman Theater," and even experience indoor snow flurries.

      From the Teachers' Lounge

      Visit our teachers' blog to read about upcoming events and resources!

      Here are a few recent highlights:

      Free EEI workshop!
      January 12, 2012 at NightLife!

      EEIKids PD training session with the California Education and the Environment Initiative Curriculum. The workshop is free, and you'll receive a copy of some curriculum!
      Read more >> space

      Bring the entire grade!
      Plenty of field trip space available!

      CiS Volcanology Field Trip If you teach middle or high school, we realize that you often have to bring the entire grade in order to plan a field trip. Well, we have plenty of dates available with hundreds of spots left, so don't fret!
      Read more >> space

      Save the Frogs Program
      Free presentations for SF classes

      EEIKids Save the frogs! received a grant from the San Francisco Tadpole Head Start Program to give free presentations on amphibian conservation to 30 San Francisco schools.
      Read more >> space

      Watts Your Energy Usage?

      Watt-Minder Measure the energy consumption of your classroom computer or other appliances by checking out the new Watt-Minder from the Naturalist Center!
      Read more >>

      The Educator Bulletin Board delivers monthly email updates relevant to our teacher audience. The header photograph in this issue was taken by Shiny Things.

      Thanks to the sponsors of 'Tis the Season for Science:
      Safeway, Pacific Gas and Electric Company
      Media sponsors:
      ABC 7, The Examiner, KOIT

      Email Us . Manage Preferences
      Forward to a Friend . Unsubscribe

      www.calacademy.org/teachers

      California Academy of Sciences, 55 Music Concourse Drive, San Francisco, CA 94118

      United States