Re: BVHM Community

  • Cathy
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2011
      There will be a Community Circle for the entire Buena Vista Horace Mann K-8 Community Friday September 9th at 9:30. Everyone is welcome to attend (there will be more details in Noticias on Tuesday). We will have Aztec Dancers at this event and I believe we will have Native America dancers as well. Please know they are very aware of how important these traditions are to building a strong K-8 Community School.

      Dr. Dehghanfard (Dr. D) and Sr. Alegre are working very hard to acknowledge and integrate the cultures and traditions of the newly merged schools while also working to make sure the school is fully functional to educate our children. Sometimes this will mean we have to be a little patient while integration and communication get fine tuned. Thank you for your concern and desire to work and support events to make sure they continue to happen.

      A volunteer interest/sign up sheet to fill out and return to the office as well as a calendar events for the year will be sent home next week.

      Back to School Night is next Wednesday September 7th at 6pm. Dr. D will be speaking to the entire community. This will be a great chance to get to know the new K-8 School, our leaders, teachers and families.

      Cathy Manshel
      PTA President

      --- In bvpta@yahoogroups.com, "chicana chingona" <soymexi@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I noticed we didn't have our traditional Aztec blessing the first day of school nor have we had any community circles. These are some of the wonderful, positive, and community building activities that make our school so special. Does anyone know if this is going to happen?
      >
      > Also, I have talked with many parents who tell me their children, and sometimes themselves, have yet to meet the new principal. I think we need to make sure we don't lose the closeness and community involvement which helps our school succeed.
      > Thanks, Claudia

    • adriennekendle
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
        I tried to post this as a reply but it didn't go through, but if this ends up as a double just ignore and forgive please...

        Thank you Cathy for letting everyone know when to expect our first Community Circle. I think lack of info made people assume it wasn't happening after a few weeks. Last year we missed out on commnity circle and actos de bondad (which was sorely missed by kids) beause of construction, so I think people are worried that traditions can slip away if we wait too long and get too busy. I believe frusration, at least my own, comes when something positive like getting the school together to start the year as a community can't just happen (I understand why, it just bums me out). Yay that everything is working out. I know a number of parents who think fondly of those first days of kinder, especially the feeling of connection after the circle. It's nice to know this year's new parents will have this opportunity.

        I would like to add that this is a transition for everyone. Without exception each teacher, student, staff member, and parent at BVHMK-8 is having a new and different experience this year, and, in my opinion, they are all equally valid. For myself I am trying to focus on the positive, appreciate the incredibly hard work that has been and continues to be done, be patient, but not just wait and hope.

        Adrienne
      • lauragold@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
          Hi All -

          Betsy, thank you for your thoughtful post.  While I think the teachers have worked hard to bond, I think it is a big adjustment for the 7/8th graders.  We have our first joint events next week.  After that I hope we can do buddy classes, etc.

          Thanks all...poco a poco.

          Laura Belfiglio Gold
          Buena Vista Horace Mann K-8
          Teacher 4/5
          work - 695-5881
          cell-415-531-6430

          "Aude Sapere" (Dare to Think!) - Immanuel Kant

        • Victoria Doll-Polanco
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
            I just spoke with the 8th grade English teacher and she said her kids were into it and they wanted to get started with reading buddies!

            Victoria Doll-Polanco Buena Vista Horace Mann k-8 Spanish Immersion School 3351 23rd Street San Francisco, CA 94110 Phone 415-695-5881

            To: bvpta@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2011
              Good morning. I just wanted to take a moment and suggest that people really refrain from rumor as we move forward. It's so important to gather facts before making assumptions.  Caddiness ( not sure if that is a word: the act of being caddy) and gossip have got to be the number one community killers... so unproductive. unattractive, and toxic.  Let's celebrate that there is enough for everyone and we don't need to hold on so tight. We are models for our children...all the children, not just our own. I look forward to the community circle/dance. And would like it if we could ask the older kids for permission to enter their space.

              Thanks.
              Jessica

              To: bvpta@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2011
                Good Morning,
                I am not sure what part of this thread you are referring to Jessica. This is a forum for the bvhm community to express themselves through.
                We need to be specific as we can if we are to resolve any problems that we observe. The caddiness and gossip you speak is not apparent within this thread.
                This tension will pass and bvhm will become a great school of which we can all be proud of, but open dialog is a must if we are to accomplish this.
                The quickest way to kill a community is to suppress communication.
                I want to be able to speak my mind when i see fit and if someone has a problem with my view point ,we can discuss it openly.
                I agree whole heartedly that we are models for the whole bvhm community,children and parents alike.
                BVHM K-8
                That is what we are and that is what we will be.
                I am looking forward to seeing many parents participating in this great endeavor.
                Thank you
                Sean Velcich

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3, 2011
                  Hi Sean
                  My comment was not so much in reference to the thread. It was about exactly! what you are stating :: direct communication! Thanks for helping me with my own communication. : )
                  Look forward to meet you.
                  Jessica

                  Sent from my iPhone