Fw: [JamesLick] see Race to Nowhere this Thursday at JLMS - teachers are free

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2010

      -----Forwarded Message-----
      From: Kathleen Wydler
      Sent: Nov 15, 2010 9:15 PM
      To: JamesLick@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [JamesLick] see Race to Nowhere this Thursday at JLMS - teachers are free

      Join us to view the film Race to Nowhere, a powerful new documentary that exposes the dark side of our achievement culture and the high-pressure, high-stakes educational system that has invaded our schools and children's lives, creating unhealthy, disengaged, unprepared, and stressed-out youth. The film tells the stories of young people pushed to the brink, burned-out educators, and deeply frustrated parents. Race to Nowhere is a call to action to challenge current assumptions on how to best prepare the youth of America to become healthy, bright, contributing, and leading citizens. After seeing the film, your views on education and childhood will forever be changed.

      Race to Nowhere is rated PG-13. More details on the film here: http://www.racetonowhere.com/about-film

      Thursday, November 18
      7 pm sharp! 85 minute running time
      at James Lick Middle School, 1220 Noe Street

      HURRY! $10 advance purchase online at: http://rtnjameslickhs.eventbrite.com/
      $15 at the door
      Teachers and principals are free at the door.

      Off-street parking available from 6:30 - 9 pm on the upper yard for a $5-10 suggested donation; enter on 25th Street between Castro and Noe Sts. All proceeds benefit JLMS PTSA.