New academic calendar on the table

  • Jennifer Beach
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2008
      I have seen a lot of discussion on this in my daughter's middle school
      list serve, but none on BVs - so I thought I would toss it out there.

      Apparently the district is seriously considering adjusting the
      academic calendar to an earlier start. If I understand correctly, both
      of the early start proposals would have the academic year start on Aug
      10, have the fall term end before the winter break, would have a
      longer (than currently) winter break, and the spring term would end
      around the end of May.

      The primary reasons I have heard for this proposal are:
      1 - it offers a more cohesive fall term, without the two week after
      break session that is disruptive for grading etc.

      2 - it offers a chance for more effective mid-year interventions for
      students who are struggling.

      3 - it syncs better with the city college calendar, better enabling
      high school students to take classes at CCSF.

      I believe there is more info on this on the Parents For Public Schools
      site, as well as the SFUSD site. It is obviously a controversial
      proposal and I have heard (although I have not independently
      confirmed) that the school board will vote on it on Dec 9th. I am not
      sure where the various unions stand on this one. In fact, I personally
      feel strongly both ways, so will not be signing letters or making
      appeals.

      Even though I will sit this controversy out myself, I wanted to share
      it with BV parents in case any of you had enormous opinions etc.

      Have a nice break!
      Jennifer Beach
      (Zephyr's Mom)
    • Linda Perez
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 27, 2008
        thanks for the heads up on this. i had heard about this but not all the reasoning. i am initially against it because it is so hot during the beginning of the school year that it is unbearable in the classroom. unless the school district is willing to invest in some air conditioning, i think the school year should actually start after labor day like we used to. we rarely have warm summer weather during vacation and then get the heat once school starts. it really doesn't make much sense. that's mis dos centavos.

        linda perez

        > I have seen a lot of discussion on this in my daughter's
        > middle school
        > list serve, but none on BVs - so I thought I would toss it
        > out there.
        >
        > Apparently the district is seriously considering adjusting
        > the
        > academic calendar to an earlier start. If I understand
        > correctly, both
        > of the early start proposals would have the academic year
        > start on Aug
        > 10, have the fall term end before the winter break, would
        > have a
        > longer (than currently) winter break, and the spring term
        > would end
        > around the end of May.
        >
        > The primary reasons I have heard for this proposal are:
        > 1 - it offers a more cohesive fall term, without the two
        > week after
        > break session that is disruptive for grading etc.
        >
        > 2 - it offers a chance for more effective mid-year
        > interventions for
        > students who are struggling.
        >
        > 3 - it syncs better with the city college calendar, better
        > enabling
        > high school students to take classes at CCSF.
        >
        > I believe there is more info on this on the Parents For
        > Public Schools
        > site, as well as the SFUSD site. It is obviously a
        > controversial
        > proposal and I have heard (although I have not
        > independently
        > confirmed) that the school board will vote on it on Dec
        > 9th. I am not
        > sure where the various unions stand on this one. In fact, I
        > personally
        > feel strongly both ways, so will not be signing letters or
        > making
        > appeals.
        >
        > Even though I will sit this controversy out myself, I
        > wanted to share
        > it with BV parents in case any of you had enormous opinions
        > etc.
        >
        > Have a nice break!
        > Jennifer Beach
        > (Zephyr's Mom)

      • jennifer beach
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 27, 2008
          Anyone who objects to the new academic calendar should definitely write or otherwise communicate with the school board asap because my understanding is that they will decide on Dec 9th.

          Linda in your case you might have a more direct access through the union who might have other concerns you can add yours to.

          happy tday
          Jennifer Beach