Fwd: Dangers Around the House is the topic at Odd Monday

  • Shellie Wiener
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2008
      This is a cross-posting from another list-serve.
      I think the topic is very germain to our lives
      today, although the late notice of the event and
      the location might make it difficult for some to
      be able to attend. If anyone does go, please let
      the group know what you learned.

      Thanks,
      Shellie
      - - - - - - - - -
      Next Monday, January 7, at 7 PM at Noe Valley
      Ministry located at 1021 Sanchez Street the Odd
      Monday Series presents author Paul D. Blanc,
      M.D., Professor of Medicine and holder of the
      Endowed Chair in Occupational and Environmental
      Medicine at the University of California, reading
      from and discussing his book, "How Everyday
      Products Make People Sick: Toxins at Home and in
      the Workplace."

      This book reveals the hidden health dangers in
      many of the seemingly innocent products we
      encounter every day - a tube of glue in a kitchen
      drawer, a bottle of bleach in the laundry room, a
      rayon scarf on a closet shelf, a brass knob on
      the front door, a wood plank on an outdoor deck.

      A compelling exposé, written by a physician with
      extensive experience in public health and
      illustrated with disturbing case histories, "How
      Everyday Products Make People Sick" is a rich and
      meticulously documented account of injury and
      illness across different time periods, places,
      and
      technologies. It presents a picture not of one
      exceptional or corrupt industry but rather of how
      run-of-the-mill manufacturing processes and
      consumer marketing expose workers and the general
      public alike to toxic hazards. More troubling
      still, even when such hazards are recognized,
      calls for their control are routinely ignored.

      "A superb tool for making our homes, finally, a
      safe place to raise children." -- Robert F.
      Kennedy, Jr., author of "Crimes Against Nature"
      and "St. Francis of Assisi."

      "Thirty years ago, Paul Blanc educated me about
      the threat of cancers caused by corporate and
      government negligence. Now he tells a great,
      entertaining and shocking story, based on a vast
      knowledge of science,government regulation,
      history and popular culture that shows our
      personal dependency and the almost-forsaken cause
      of public health." -- Tom Hayden, former
      chairman, Committee on Natural Resources,
      California State Senate

      Join us at 5:30 P.M. before the event for a
      no-host supper at Noe Valley Pizza, the northeast
      corner of 24th Street at Sanchez. Entrees average
      $10-$15.

      Parking available at $5 for 3 hours across the
      street from the Noe Valley Pizza. The 24 line,
      the 48 line and the J Church are the nearby Muni
      transportation lines available.

      The Odd Mondays website: www.oddmondays.com
      The Odd Monday Series is a Project of The Noe
      Valley Ministry
      Presented by Ramón and Judith Sender:
      <www.oddmondays.com>

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs