Fw: [sfschools] Send your kid to music camp! You don't have to be rich!

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2007

      -----Forwarded Message-----
      From: cmgrannan
      Sent: Jul 21, 2007 10:55 PM
      To: sfschools@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [sfschools] Send your kid to music camp! You don't have to be rich!

      Start planning now for next summer! These are sleepaway camps. You get
      some kid-free time and your instrumentalist child or teen gets a great
      immersion in high-quality music education.

      All of these fantastic camps need MORE CITY KIDS and MORE DIVERSITY.
      THEY HAVE SCHOLARSHIPS AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE DIRT-POOR! One or both
      of my kids have done all of them and loved them. All have professional
      teachers.

      Cazadero Performing Arts Camp, Sonoma County (about 25 minutes outside
      Guerneville)
      http://www.cazadero .org/v2/
      For instrumentalists. Different sessions for elementary-high school
      age ranges. Weeklong for the youngest kids and 12-day for grades 6-12.
      Classic summer camp with lots of counselors, all accomplished
      instrumentalists. Classical orchestra, brass band and jazz.
      SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE! Music teacher recommendation needed (a minimal
      one). This summer, the junior high session (going into grades 7-9,
      July 10-21) didn't fill up. Teachers are mostly from Bay Area high
      schools and colleges, sometimes including SOTA.

      Stanford Jazz Workshop, at Stanford
      http://www.stanford jazz.org/
      For instrumentalists and vocalists. Ages 12-17. Residential (in dorm)
      or commuter, all levels of musicianship, no audition needed to get in
      (auditions at sign-in determine level). 18 months' playing experience
      recommended, which doesn't have to include any jazz. SJW has generous
      scholarships available, including money designated specifically for
      kids who ilve in San Francisco, which they have some trouble giving
      away! There are two one-week camps; campers can do one or both.
      There's also a higher-level workshop aimed at adults. Teachers are
      jazz pros.

      Jazz Camp West, at Camp Jones Gulch in La Honda (known to many because
      it's the YMCA's camp, rented out)
      http://www.jazzcamp west.com/
      For instrumentalists, vocalists and jazz dancers. Teen-adult. This is
      really an adult camp, but teens may attend. It doesn't have the level
      of supervision that a strictly youth camp would have -- no real
      counselors. (It still has supervision; some teens were sent home for
      drinking when my son was there -- not him, I hasten to add.) Kid
      musicians are mixed in with performers of all ages. No audition
      needed. Just one week a year. Scholarsips available! Teachers are jazz
      pros.

      My son's take: The campers' musicianship was higher level at Jazz Camp
      West, since it's really an adult camp, but he actually thought the
      teaching staff overall was better at Stanford Jazz Workshop.

      Both my kids love Cazadero, which is celebrating its 50th year this
      year and boasts the classic, venerable camp traditions. My son views
      it as kind of kid stuff but still likes it.

      And how can I post anything without mentioning Harry Potter? Today was
      the last day of Cazadero's Junior High Session -- families arrive to
      hear a concert in the beautiful outdoor amphitheater and take their
      kids home. Copies of the book were getting passed around the audience.
      My daughter didn't see me till after her performance -- she put away
      her trombone and hastened to find me in the audience, and her first
      words were, "Did you bring it?" (I did.) I saw one counselor pulling
      his wheeled suitcase across camp with his nose buried deep in the book.

      My 80-year-old mom went to the Caz concert/pickup with me. Of course
      she knows all about Harry Potter, but she hadn't really seen the
      frenzy in a large group setting like that. She was really surprised at
      the depth of the mass obsession. (I mean that in a good way.)