RE: [bvpta] Enrollment Questions/Issues

  • Ancel Martinez
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24, 2006

      Ah, you know the usual litany...

      say I hear that SIP at Hoove is underenrolled this year. If so, what lessons are to be drawn?

      ~ Ancel

      From: "GENY6715" <maria.e.aldaz@...>
      To: bvpta@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [bvpta] Enrollment Questions/Issues
      Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:47:31 -0000

      The PPS Immersion Task Force is facilitating a roundtable discussion
      with the Multilingual Dept and the Educational Placement Center (EPC)
      regarding enrollment in immersion programs.

      We are collecting a list of issues/questions for EPC to address in
      this meeting. Please email me with any enrollment issue/question you
      may have and we can bring it up at this meeting. I will need it by
      this Friday, Oct 27.

      The goal of this roundtable discussion is to come up with solutions
      for the future.

      Thank you for your participation/ concern.

    • Amy Trusso
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 24, 2006
        hi

        although i haven't toured hoover this year a friend who is a teacher at alvarado did.  she told me that spanish immersion is turning into a zero period class. she also said that the amount of spanish content changes from six to seventh and eight grade. please find out if the district is trying to phase out SI programs in middle school.

        thanks

        On 10/24/06, GENY6715 <maria.e.aldaz@...> wrote:

        The PPS Immersion Task Force is facilitating a roundtable discussion
        with the Multilingual Dept and the Educational Placement Center (EPC)
        regarding enrollment in immersion programs.

        We are collecting a list of issues/questions for EPC to address in
        this meeting. Please email me with any enrollment issue/question you
        may have and we can bring it up at this meeting. I will need it by
        this Friday, Oct 27.

        The goal of this roundtable discussion is to come up with solutions
        for the future.

        Thank you for your participation/concern.

      • Aldaz, Maria E
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 25, 2006
          That's one of the issues that will be asked of EPC to explain.  Supposedly approx. 30 seats are reserved at Hoover for SIP.  However, this year only 20 were filled and the other 10 used for the General Ed program.  Why is that?  Is it EPC?  The school?  If 30 seats are reserved, they should remain reserved.

          From: "GENY6715" <maria.e.aldaz@...>
          To: bvpta@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:47:31 -0000

          The PPS Immersion Task Force is facilitating a roundtable discussion
          with the Multilingual Dept and the Educational Placement Center (EPC)
          regarding enrollment in immersion programs.

          We are collecting a list of issues/questions for EPC to address in
          this meeting. Please email me with any enrollment issue/question you
          may have and we can bring it up at this meeting. I will need it by
          this Friday, Oct 27.

          The goal of this roundtable discussion is to come up with solutions
          for the future.

          Thank you for your participation/ concern.

          IMPORTANT: The sender intends that this electronic message
          is for exclusive use by the person to whom it is addressed. This
          message may contain information that is confidential or privileged
          and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of
          this message is not an intended recipient, be aware that any
          disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
          communication, or the use of its contents, is prohibited. If you
          have received this message in error, please immediately notify the
          sender of your inadvertent receipt and delete this message from all
          data storage systems. Thank you.

        • Aldaz, Maria E
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 25, 2006
            The district is not trying to get rid of SI programs at middle school.  In fact James Lick is expanding and we hope will expand more.  Hoover, however, is another story in that they have no plans to expand, ever.

[...]

          • David & Laura ZOVICKIAN
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 25, 2006
              Hi Genny,

              The important issues we would like addressed include: How is the planning
              going to create enough middle school spaces to accomodate all of the
              additional language immersion students that are being created as more
              programs are opened? Is the middle school development and increase going to
              be truly an immersion model that supports the students current model or is
              it a hybrid or dilluted version of language immersion? What about the
              possibility of expanding k-5 schools to k-8 schools? Current child
              development research is demonstrating that concentrating large groups of 6th
              7th and 8th graders has negative academic consequences, social consequences
              and facilitiates negative interactions within the community at large. What
              are the alternatives to large middle school models? Perhaps the costs
              associated with changing schools over from k- 5 to k - 8 are balanced by the
              savings achieved by reducing the need for interventions from both within the
              school and the community at large. 3 year middle school also seem to
              undermine parental efforts because of the short time span.

              Laura and David

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 26, 2006
                Yes, these are questions that the task force has been asking the district
                for the last 3 years regarding middle school expansion for immersion
                programs and which they are now finally seemed poised to take action on.
                The whole K-8 thing is a different battle that if BV had the facilities,
                they could tackle.

                The important issues we would like addressed include: How is the planning
                going to create enough middle school spaces to accomodate all of the
                additional language immersion students that are being created as more
                programs are opened? Is the middle school development and increase going to
                be truly an immersion model that supports the students current model or is
                it a hybrid or dilluted version of language immersion? What about the
                possibility of expanding k-5 schools to k-8 schools? Current child
                development research is demonstrating that concentrating large groups of 6th
                7th and 8th graders has negative academic consequences, social consequences
                and facilitiates negative interactions within the community at large. What
                are the alternatives to large middle school models? Perhaps the costs
                associated with changing schools over from k- 5 to k - 8 are balanced by the
                savings achieved by reducing the need for interventions from both within the
                school and the community at large. 3 year middle school also seem to
                undermine parental efforts because of the short time span.

                Laura and David

                >From: "GENY6715" <maria.e.aldaz@...>
                >To: bvpta@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [bvpta] Enrollment Questions/Issues
                >Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:47:31 -0000
                >
                >The PPS Immersion Task Force is facilitating a roundtable discussion
                >with the Multilingual Dept and the Educational Placement Center (EPC)
                >regarding enrollment in immersion programs.
                >
                >We are collecting a list of issues/questions for EPC to address in this
                >meeting. Please email me with any enrollment issue/question you may
                >have and we can bring it up at this meeting. I will need it by this
                >Friday, Oct 27.
                >
                >The goal of this roundtable discussion is to come up with solutions for
                >the future.
                >
                >Thank you for your participation/concern.

                IMPORTANT: The sender intends that this electronic message is for
                exclusive use by the person to whom it is addressed. This message
                may contain information that is confidential or privileged and
                exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this
                message is not an intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure,
                dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication, or
                the use of its contents, is prohibited. If you have received this
                message in error, please immediately notify the sender of your
                inadvertent receipt and delete this message from all data storage
                systems. Thank you.
              • khofso
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 26, 2006
                  I took Jakob to visit James Lick this morning and must say it looked
                  pretty good. Next week we're visiting Hoover. James Lick has tours
                  every Thursday morning 9-10 AM and Hoover is doing them by appointment.

                  Apparently the immersion program at James Lick expanded this year from
                  60 to 90 sixth grade students. And next year the plan is to go to 120
                  spots for the incoming grade. That would make the school 2/3 immersion
                  and 1/3 general ed. Seems like this would certainly be a good first
                  step towards alleviating the coming middle school immersion crunch as
                  more programs graduate 5th grade students. What's the school districts
                  view on expansion of immersion slots at Lick? Is the whole school
                  slated to eventually become a Spanish immersion school or are their
                  plans to open immersion classes in other schools? Or is there a plan?
                  If not, now is the time to come up with one. All of our kids deserve a
                  chance to continue their Spanish immersion education at least until 8th
                  grade.
                • Aldaz, Maria E
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 26, 2006
                    Yes, the district is looking to expand as JL 120 seats will not be enough in
                    2 years. Where they place the additional seats is the unknown, it could be
                    JL, it could be Everett, who knows but there is supposed to be a master plan
                    that they're going to do to define this as well as expansion of other
                    language programs.

                    One correction, Hoover has set tours for Monday, Wednesday, Friday from
                    9-10am. You do not need an appt. I showed up last Friday and joined the
                    tour which starts in front of their auditorium across the way from the
                    office.