"Rescuing Recess" campaign

  • Julie Hagelshaw
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 16, 2006
      PTA joins "Rescuing Recess" campaign (see grant awards info)

      Click the link for more resources and information. This is from the
      National PTA website.

      http://www.pta.org/archive_article_details_1142027724093.html

      Rescuing Recess - Get Your PTA $5,000 to $50,000
      Rescuing Recess Letter Writing Campaign Launches April 3, 2006!

      Beginning April 3, PTAs are eligible for grants based on participation
      in the letter writing campaign. Send all letters between April 3 and
      May 19, 2006 to be eligible.*
      Participants may send as many letters as they like.
      Letters can be gathered and sent in bulk as long as each individual
      letter is folded and sealed.
      A $50,000 grant will be awarded to the state PTA with the most overall
      participation.
      A $5,000 grant will we awarded to one local PTA unit in each of the 50
      states, plus PTA congresses in the District of Columbia, the U.S.
      Virgin Islands, and European Congress.
      The total amount of grants Cartoon Network will be awarding for this
      campaign is now $315,000.
      *PTAs in good standing are eligible for these Rescuing Recess grants.

      SEND YOUR LETTERS NOW!

      Experts agree that playtime can be just as vital as classroom time to
      a child's social, emotional and educational development. To that end,
      National PTA and Cartoon Network launched Rescuing Recess, a campaign
      that champions the importance of recess for kids. Developed with
      direction from an advisory board of leaders and policymakers in
      children's health and education, Rescuing Recess seeks to connect
      educators, parents, and kids as advocates to bring back or keep recess.

      Using an online letter template available at http://www.write-rr.com,
      kids can express their own views about break time, letting local
      school boards know that recess is important. These grants are one
      element of the Rescuing Recess campaign, through which Cartoon Network
      will pledge more than $1.3 million to help save recess.

      Read the full Press Release about Rescuing Rescess.

      Organizations involved in developing Rescuing Recess include the
      Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the National
      Education Association (NEA), the National Association for Sport &
      Physical Education (NASPE), The President's Council on Physical
      Fitness and Sports, New Leaders for New Schools, and Health MPowers.
    • holly link
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 17, 2006
        I hope everyone had a restful vacation!

        I wanted to remind everyone that we need volunteers to
        help bubble in student information on the APRENDA
        tests we just took. Please come by my office in the
        library this week if you have any time,k even just
        15-20 minutes.

        Thanks,
        Holly Link

        http://mail.yahoo.com