RE: [bvpta] Digest Number 325

  • Lisa Guzman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2005
      Another thing to put in people's bonnets about the fifth grade trips as they
      go into next year: assumingly the two fifth grade teachers will take their
      60-75% of their students to Mexico. But, who will take the 25-40% who stay
      behind--either to Sacramento or to teach them back here in S.F.? It doesn't
      seem quite fair that the 4th grade teachers take 9-10 students (or more!) on
      top of their projected 31 students per classroom, nor is it safe or
      conducive to learning.

      Furthermore, Jenny is right. I took nine students to Sacramento this
      year--all of them Latinos and all but one from an immigrant,
      Spanish-speaking household. There were some Latino kids on the Mexico trip,
      of course. But, there was a noticeable racial divide between those that
      went to Mexico and those that went to Sacramento or just stayed with the
      4ths.

      Now that the 4th and 5th grades are split and now that the interest, thus
      far, seems to have decreased in going to Mexico, we really have to look at
      the whole situation very deeply and as soon as we go into the next school
      year. As Cathy said, I look forward to the discussion.

      Have a good summer, everyone.

      Warmly,

      Lisa Gutierrez Guzm�n
      4/5 Teacher
      Former B.V. Parent

    • Cathy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2005
        Thanks again to all who have participated in this on-line discussion.
        I will contain the printed version of this discussion for consideration
        Sept. 2005.
        Have a great summer.
        Cathy Ritter