5813Read-A-Thon fundraising letter and email for your family and friends

  • Marisa Zuzga
    Feb 19, 2014
    We're a little over half way through the Read-A-Thon and your children should be reading as much as possible and are working hard to reach their goals!

    We wanted to remind you that we also need families to ask for donations from your family and friends.  To download a sample letter you can use, click here.

    We are also sending you a message from Jessica Lanning, mom of Logan (6th) and Hannah (4th), with a great idea and instructions on how to send your donation request via email (or Facebook) to your friends and family.

    Thank you.
    Dear Families,
    I'm a BVHM parent and the former PTA treasurer and pledge drive chair. Thank you so much for your contribution toward the Fill the Jar pledge drive this year. Your donations make an enormous difference.
    Please take a minute to entertain this idea for doubling the power of your donation. We (the school and your kid(s)) just started Read-a-thon. This is a fundraising event as much as a literacy one. In some schools, it is the biggest fundraiser, and I'd like to see it become a bigger one at BVHM. I think we can match the $12,000 we made last year.
    Here's what I did, and here's what I'd like you to do. Last year, I took my pledge donation and reached out to my friends and family and asked them to "match it" with their own donation, no matter how small.
    The template of my email that I sent last year and will send this year is below. By taking 10 minutes to send this note, 10 minutes to send a follow-up email, and 10 minutes to hunt down a few pledges, I doubled the money I pledged for Buena Vista Horace Mann.
    You are welcome to take this idea and alter it to conform to your personality and style, but two important points are worth mentioning:
    1. Your friends and family will respond stronger if you tell them that you've put in your own money.
    2. It's up to you as to whether you want to want to involve your children in this note or if you want them to ask for pledges personally. The important part is that you ask people to support an organization that you really believe in---one that supports educating your child and all the children in the school.
    Please consider taking a small portion of your time to make this happen. I've made this very easy by including instructions below. We have many exciting opportunities at the school to advance literacy and curriculum support through technology and our garden. Raising more money on an annual basis will be necessary to support these programs long-term along with our other essential programs.
    Thank you for your time. Best wishes to you in doubling your Fill the Jar donation money!
    Warm regards,
    Jessica
    Mom of Logan (6th) and Hannah (4th)

    INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Start a new email.
    2. Type in your recipients.
    3. Use the subject line: Please Support My Child's School Through Read-a-Thon!
    4. Cut and paste the email below between the dashed lines.
    5. Run spell check. It will catch all the placeholders that you need to personalize.
    6. Personalize your email.
    7. Hit send.

    Dear ___________,
    My choosechildorchildren, putnameshere, attend Buena Vista Horace Mann, a K-8 Spanish immersion public school in San Francisco. Each winter, the school holds a Read-a-thon, in which students set reading goals with their teachers, and promise to turn off the all their electronic devices and read. I would like you to be a sponsor.

    The school's PTA uses this event to raise money for much-needed programs. Like a walk-a-thon, it asks that sponsors give a certain amount per book read or per minutes read (for instance, $2/book or $1 for 20 minutes). My kids have set these goals:
    firstkidgoal
    secondkidgoal
    thirdkidgoal
    __
    My request is that you pledge a flat amount for them reaching these achievable goals. This year, my family pledged $amounthere over the course of this school year, and I would like to raise that same amount of money from outside sources (friends, family, you!). Like a"corporate match," this is my "Friends and Family match" program.

    Sponsor donations are due on February 15th, 2013. We accept cash, cards, Paypal, and checks should be written to the "BV PTA."  Please let me know how much you'll pledge and how you would like to pay. The PTA is a 501(c)(3) organization, and your donation is tax deductible.

    I appreciate your donations. The PTA pays for essential programs and supplies. This year it will be used for physical education classes to teach gross motor skills and teamwork, art classes to teach creativity and music, and garden curriculum supplies to teach science. All these programs are essential to increasing literacy and academic success in all our children. They grow, learn and have dual language skills and cross-cultural appreciation.

    Thank you!
    Sincerely,
    yournamehere
    __
    othercaregivernamehere
    __
    (chooseparentorparents of yourkidsnameshere)

    PS.  Thank you for your support. Your donation may be tax deductible. Please consult your tax advisor. Tax ID #94-3033872.