5718SCRAP October QuickLook

    Oct 25, 2013
      Dear All,
      Please read below for information about the latest offerings from our friends at SCRAP. They are a great source for art supplies!
      Thanks
      bob

      Bob Armstrong  415-515-8815  926 Esmeralda Ave. SF, CA 94110  Website: www.bobarmstrongart.com

      Newsletter- Quicklook Edition!                                             October 2013

        What's happening:

        Creative Reuse Classes & Workshops:

      Sun, Nov 3rd   1-4pm

      SCRAP is hosting our first ever Craft Market at Scrappy Sunday, featuring creative reuse creations by local artists. Join us to be inspired by the artists and help us build a collaborative art mandala out of SCRAP materials. We will also have hands on crafting for children of all ages. Click here for more info.

      Larkspu Farmers Market poster
      Oct 26th  9am-2pm
      SCRAP hosts hands-on crafts at the
      Larkspur Farmers Market at Marin Country Mart
      every Saturday through the fall!

      Thurs, Oct 31st 4-7pm

      Join SCRAP for hauntingly fun creative reuse crafting at the
      Bayview Opera House for their annual Halloween Festival!

      SCRAP Workshop -reddy

      Tempered Glass Mosaics w/ Reddy Lieb

      Saturday, October 26th   10am-3pm

      Sunday, October 27th     10am-1pm    fee: $80null

      Join artist Reddy Lieb as she shares her passion for glass once again. Tempered glass mosaics glimmer as they refract light with a glimpse of veiled collages underneath. Come learn how to work with this magical material and create a recycled mixed media piece. Participants will work with collage materials found at SCRAP and adhere them to a piece of wood, a box or other 3D form, then cover the collage with tempered glass. The second day of class participants will finish their mosaics with  colored grouts to enhance the design.null

      About Reddy
      For over 30 years Reddy Lieb has been working with glass to create both conceptual and functional work. She uses recycled materials in her work and in 2000 was the Artist-in-Residence at Recology San Francisco. In 2004, she received an MFA from the California College of Art. Reddy loves inspiring the creative process in people and has been doing so for over 20 years

      To register click here!

      Saturday, Nov 2nd  1- 4pm

      SCRAP hosts monthly Teacher Material GiveAways for
      San Francisco teachers. We will have all kinds of supplies for your classroom including paper, markers, binders, sponges, National Geos, and much more!
      wescrap112WE SCRAP! Workshops for Educators -
      WE SCRAP! Workshops for educators present creative reuse projects that can be used in the classroom, use SCRAP materials, and directly tie into curriculum. Participants will have the opportunity to create and will obtain a materials package to teach the project in their own classroom complete with an instruction sheet that includes a list of California Content Standards the project fulfills. WE SCRAP! Workshops are 10am - 1pm   fee: $15

      Nov 2nd - Science with Toys presented by Francisco Hernandez

      Design thinking and basic science experiments can be made accessible by building a variety of simple toys. Participants will construct tops, pinwheels, wind turbines, parachutes, a basic barometer, or sound horns to listen to old vinyl records. We will investigate how guided exploration through inquiry is an ideal method for teaching STEM in your classroom. This student-driven approach is also well suited for integration of math concepts such as geometry and measurement.

      Francisco Hernandez is a 5th-grade teacher, boat-builder, sculptor, and frequent SCRAP shopper. His students have created model bridges, buildings, windmills, and dams using SCRAP materials.

       Click here to register!

      quiltsSCRAP Workshop -

      SCRAP Quilts w/ Kenan Shapero

      Nov 9th, 10am to 4pm    fee: $60

      null

      Join us as Kenan Shapero shares her knowledge and inspiration

      for the Scrap quilt in the perfect place... SCRAP! Kenan will begin the class with an introduction to the world of Scrap quilts giving an overview of the various and many types. Then she will lead participants through the materials depot to investigate all the bits of wonderful fabric found at SCRAP that can be incorporated into a SCRAP quilt of their own. By the end of the day participants will have the first few blocks of their quilt done or a small top ready to be made into a sandwich and quilted. Included in the workshop will be information for how to quilt and bind these small masterpieces. Please bring a sewing machine.

      About Kenan

      Kenan has been making quilts for 18 years. While many of them are not Scrap quilts many do incorporate scrap quilt techniques. She spent over 13 years observing, unloading, rolling, fondling and shelving many tons of fabric at SCRAP!  In October she will become the president of the San Francisco Quilters' Guild.

      To register click here!

      volVolunteer for SCRAP!
      Sat, Nov 16th  10am - 4pm
      SCRAP is looking for a few good volunteers. Brave men and women
      who are not afraid of repetitive tasks. Wonderful helpers who will
      risk paper cuts, RSI, and accidentally getting ink on clothing or skin.

      We need volunteers for our fundraising efforts, to help us label, stuff, stamp and seal envelopes. Come to SCRAP anytime from 10am to 4pm Saturday, November 16th. We'll bring all the supplies, you bring the hard labor needed, we'll have some fun!
      RSVP scrap@... or just show up.
      we127WE SCRAP! Workshops for Educators -
      WE SCRAP! Workshops for educators present creative reuse projects that can be used in the classroom, use SCRAP materials, and directly tie into curriculum. Participants will have the opportunity to create and will obtain a materials package to teach the project in their own classroom complete with an instruction sheet that includes a list of California Content Standards the project fulfills. WE SCRAP! Workshops are 10am - 1pm   fee: $15

      Dec 7th - Finger Puppet Books presented by Patricia Christensen

      Finger puppets are fun and can be easily made with many different materials and techniques. These  little puppets inspire storytelling; and dialogue seems to come naturally. After creating their own finger puppet characters, students are eager to write and decorate their creative adventures on sturdy paper. Once holes are cut, finger puppet characters poke up and come alive on the page(s) of student books. This workshop will provide opportunities to make both glued and sewn finger puppets with a variety of treasures found at SCRAP. We will also experiment with simple bookmaking techniques. Because of small items (buttons, beads, pom-poms) used to make finger puppets, they are not suitable for very young children.

      Patricia Christensen is a SFUSD Visual Art Teacher with 4/5 grade classroom experience. She has taught textiles and mixed-media art making for over twenty years.

       Click here to register!

      wrapSCRAP Workshop -

      SCRAP Wrap It! w/ Megumi Inouye & Monica Lee
      Sat, Dec 14th  1-4pm  fee: $30

       null

      Megumi and Monica are back again for their popular repurposing gift-wrapping workshop. They have new ideas to share as well as some of their favorite techniques from past workshops on how to transform SCRAP materials into holiday gift giving/ wrapping treasures: recycled floral bows, scrap tags, playing card gift boxes and other "made from scratch" packaging ideas. There will be time during the second half of the workshop to browse Scrap for materials to wrap, prep and get a head start on your personal holiday wrapping.

      About Monica and Megumi
      Megumi Inouye is the host of the Japanese American Journal for KTSF where she has featured Japanese inspired gift wrapping tips. She was the 2008 Runner-Up Finalist in a national gift-wrapping contest and appeared on the Ellen Degeneres Show for a Wrap Off with Ellen!
      Monica Lee has been a professional photographer for 30 years and is a life-long crafter and long time SCRAPper. Monica has taught at SCRAP, Sunnyside Conservatory and FabMo. Monica is the Artist in Residence at Ruth's Table at the Bethany Center.

      Donate SCRAP bunnyDonate to SCRAP!
      SCRAP has been providing materials to San Francisco Bay Area teachers for over 35 years and diverting over 250 tons yearly of all kinds of art parts that would otherwise have gone into landfill.

      SCRAP needs your help to continue serving the community. Please participate in our wonderful programs by contributing a tax deductable donation to support the teachers, artists and nonprofits that depend on SCRAP for their materials. Click here to donate!

      To stay connected and up-to-date please...

      This email was sent to strongarm_art@... by scrap@... |
      Friends of SCRAP, Inc. | 801 Toland Street | San Francisco | CA | 94124