2538Re: BV Parking

  • lggwwt
    Feb 2, 2008
      Congratulations on getting this serious problerm in the newspaper.
      Maybe now someone besides the teachers, parents and other staff will
      do something about it.

      Good luck, Buena Vista!

      Warmly,

      Lisa Gutierrez Guzmán
      Former B.V. parent and teacher

      --- In bvpta@yahoogroups.com, Ancel Martinez <ancelmartinez@...> wrote:

      > SAN FRANCISCOMOVING CARS PART OF DAILY LESSON PLAN
      > Hourly dash from school to avoid ticket an ongoing problem for
      teachers, staff
      > Jill Tucker, Chronicle Staff Writer
      > Friday, February 1, 2008
      >

      > Every recess - and sometimes in the middle of class - teachers at
      San Francisco's Buena Vista Elementary School dash outside to move
      their cars before a parking ticket appears on their windshield.
      > Up to six times a day, they forgo a chat with a student, a sip of
      coffee or a trip to the bathroom to play musical cars among the
      one-hour spots around the school.
      > The rest of the day, the teachers try to remember where they last
      put their car, wonder if they'll find another space and pray the
      parking enforcement officer won't get there first.
      > Parking in San Francisco is rarely easy or cheap, but at Buena Vista
      in the Inner Mission neighborhood, as well as at a handful of other
      schools across the city, parking is an obsession - taking up valuable
      staff time, disrupting learning and killing morale, school officials say.
      > "Teachers are running out every hour or so," said Buena Vista
      Principal Larry Alegre. "It's not a good situation."
      > It's a problem that has plagued certain schools for decades, making
      some schools less attractive to teachers, volunteers and substitutes,
      school officials say.
      > At Alegre's school, teachers and staff spend up to two hours each
      week parking and re-parking - with some nonetheless accumulating
      hundreds of dollars in fines each year.
      > The city allocates 10 residential zone parking permits per school
      for teachers and the principal only - and at an annual fee of $60 each.
      > Alegre estimates he needs 20 permits in addition to the 10 his
      school already receives.
      > And the 10-permit limit doesn't take into account the number of
      staff or the lack of available free parking at or around the school.
      > Roosevelt Middle School in the Inner Richmond, for example, is
      surrounded by two-hour parking spots and has 60 to 70 teachers and
      staff, not including cafeteria folks, said office worker Maureen Santori.
      > Parents and school officials have lobbied city leaders to grant more
      parking permits but to no avail.
      > "It makes me want to cry," said kindergarten parent Bill Rusitzky,
      who has been making calls and visiting city officials since September.
      "You can't even fix something like this - it's ridiculous."
      > At Buena Vista, workers can park a few blocks away at San Francisco
      General Hospital's garage for $12 per day - which would cost $2,160
      for the 180 days of school each year.
      > City and school officials encourage everyone to take public
      transportation, walk, ride a bike or carpool whenever possible.
      Teachers said that such options are often impossible or inconvenient
      with bags full of lesson plans, books, students' homework and art
      supplies.
      > School board members admitted this is a long-standing problem with
      no easy solution.
      > "In a neighborhood with crowded parking, we can't expect them to put
      the teachers' interests above all others," said board member Jill
      Wynns. "This is just an ongoing problem of an urban school district.
      It's a conundrum."
      > On a recent morning, Buena Vista school secretary Judy Diaz
      abandoned the phones and the photocopier to run out to her van - again.
      > She stopped in her tracks just outside the building's front doors.
      > "Where did I park?" she mumbled to herself before seeing the vehicle
      up the hill.
      > She then drove down up and down side streets where there are a
      limited number of all-day spots, but every one was taken. Some
      teachers arrive by 6:45 a.m. to get one of those spots before they
      fill even though classes start at 9:30 a.m.
      > Diaz grudgingly pulled into another one-hour space around the corner
      and checked the time.
      > City code requires a car to move at least a block away from the
      original space to avoid a $40 or $50 ticket, depending on the area.
      Teachers and staff don't always adhere to the letter of that law and
      hope for the best.
      > (Wiping chalk off tires is a $100 offense, although San Francisco is
      increasingly using digital license plate scanners.)
      > Diaz can't remember when she didn't have to move her car every day,
      every hour. School staff members like secretaries don't qualify for
      the school's annual lottery for the city parking permits.
      > Every fall, Buena Vista randomly picks the nine teachers who will
      get one of the 10 coveted tags. The principal gets the other one.
      > This year, special education teacher Susan Terrell got lucky. That
      hasn't always been the case in her 12 years there.
      > "When you don't have a permit, you're obsessed with time and lesson
      interruptions and scrambling out there rain or shine," she said. "On
      the raffle day, the teachers who don't get it become despondent."
      > Across San Francisco, 920 teachers have purchased the permits - a
      $55,200 revenue stream for the city.
      > The teachers at Buena Vista and other schools said they would gladly
      add to that if given the chance.
      > "Basically what we need is some more stickers for the teachers and
      other workers here at the school and even some temporary ones for
      volunteers," Alegre said. "We should be able to do that somehow, for
      the teachers of San Francisco, for the children."
      > At least two San Francisco supervisors agree.
      > "If people are teaching our children, then we ought to at least make
      it convenient for them to be there and park," said Supervisor Sophie
      Maxwell, adding that perhaps there's a way to look at the needs of
      each school and develop criteria for additional passes. "I just think
      we ought to make some concessions."
      > Supervisor Tom Ammiano, a former teacher and school board member,
      echoed her comments and offered to raise the issue with city leaders.
      > "What you see usually around here is that solutions are possible,
      but the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing," he said.
      "You have to have some uniform standards, but you have to have
      something that is tailor-made for that situation."
      > School board member Hydra Mendoza, who is also Mayor Gavin Newsom's
      education adviser, said her boss is looking at increasing the number
      of school parking permits to 15 per school.
      > But she added that it's a challenge because there are arguably many
      worthy folks who need parking.
      > "I think permits are those sacred things," she said. "We're
      continuing to work on it."
      > In the meantime, speech therapist Angie Garcia watches the clock
      each day, bolting out of her second-floor office at Buena Vista every
      hour to move her car - up, down and around the block six times each
      day. This year she's only had two tickets, compared with 10 last year.
      > "I've had to move my schedule around to meet the hourly thing,"
      Garcia said. "You're trying to do your job and you're getting punished
      at the same time."

      > Contact city leaders
      > Supervisors: www.sfgov.org/site/bdsupvrs_index.asp
      >
      > School board members: portal.sfusd.edu/template/default.cfm?page=board
      >
      > Mayor Gavin Newsom: www.sfgov.org/site/mayor_index.asp
      >
      > E-mail Jill Tucker at jtucker@... ancelmartinez@... new email address

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic