1047Mexico 2006?

  • lauragold@comcast.net
    Jun 3, 2005
      Dear All -

      Below are three really thoughtful letters about the BV Mexico and Sacramento trips. Three themes - communication, preparedness and equity must be addressed by our community. What I see as a common thread is the "unknown-ness" which creates a communication void, which in turn, creates a hesitation to participate for some, and confusion for others.

      The children have a rich, incredible experience in Mexico. Incredible. It is a defining moment and helps launch them from BV. I think Sac has been that too, although I am less familiar.

      1. communication. Can we look at putting together a montage of itineraries, photos, writings, etc. from past trips to display to our community what has been learned and what can be learned? This record will lend itself to so many efforts in the community - solid curriculum understanding for families, better family budgeting, lower grade family awareness, earlier efforts to prep the "hesitant child" I will volunteer t work with other Mexico alum families to do this. Glenn, can you possible share back information? (photos, itineraries?)

      2. preparedness by families and children. I have regretted that we no longer have a fourth grade trip that would help prep/ramp up that community for the next year, especially preparing those families for whom an overnight is a big deal to begin the process.

      3. equity. this is enormous and needs real soul-searching on the part of the community. We must strive for ways to bring all our children into a culminating project while understanding some families will simply never participate. Where are thoses lines? How to create comfort for all? What is fair?

      Ultimately, I hope we can have a community meeting early next year to look into what is best for all our students.

      yours,
      --
      Laura Belfiglio Gold

      "On the shore of endless worlds, children play." - Winnicott

      Title VII Coordinator
      Buena Vista Elementary and Co-Director, FLAG Grant Hoover Middle School

      work-415-695-5875
      fax-415-695-5311
      cell-415-531-6430