1046RE: [bvpta] Mexico 2006?

  • Aldaz, Maria E
    Jun 2, 2005
      This is a big subject. Every year there is so much time and effort put into
      this trip by staff as well as parents and every year there seems to be a
      certain level of controversy about the trip with the level of fundraising
      required, the chaperone selection process, families who can not or will not
      allow their children to go without them, etc.

      For me there are several things that stand out as trouble points. I don't
      know what solutions there are to these but they are recurring problems every
      year and every year the 5th grade families and teachers need to address
      them.

      1. I've heard the Mexico trip is part of the curriculum but I've never
      heard an explanation of exactly what part of the curriculum this 5 day trip
      fills. And if it is a necessary piece of the kids' education, how will it
      be undermined for those kids who can/will not go?

      2. The kids who can/will not go to Mexico have Sacramento as an
      alternative. Substituting 2 days for 5 isn't exactly equal nor is
      Sacramento on par with Mexico. So going back to the curriculum piece, if
      the Mexico trip serves a curriculum purpose, exactly how is it replaced with
      Sacramento?

      3. One big selling point for the trip is the independence it fosters in the
      kids. That's not a big selling point for latino families. Look at me, I'm
      46 and I still live with my parents. :-)

      4. There is controversy about the chaperone selection process. If no
      changes can be made to this, can it be better explained to parents from the
      beginning?

      5. Kids cannot travel with their parents, again not a big selling point for
      latino families who rarely allow kids to have sleepovers much less travel
      outside the country without them.

      6. The level of fundraising necessary for this trip is enormous and a drain
      on the community and every 5th grade class is to be commended on always
      meeting their goals but how can this be started earlier?

      7. Families need to know more details from Kinder that this is an expected
      trip and why so that when they get to 5th, they've had 6 years to get used
      to the idea. That doesn't happen now as there is no outreach to the whole
      community on why it's a must not miss trip for your child.

      Again this is a big topic and it seems so often to pit latino vs. non-latino
      families against each other. My ideal is that there could be a committee of
      various parents/staff who could work together to make this trip smoother for
      everyone in the future.