Re: Cyrillic - Greek Catholic Headstones

  • Corinna C
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 25, 2010
      I can probably get it done by the end of the week. It doesn't sound like it's a whole lot. My cyrillic translit. skills good. Now if I could only master Ukrainian language in practice, my life would be so much easier. LOL!

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 26, 2010
        Corinna,

        This is very generous of you. I will send the info this afternoon.

        Thank you so much.

        Debbie

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 26, 2010
          On Oct 26, 2010, at 9:56 AM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

          > Corinna,
          >
          > This is very generous of you. I will send the info this afternoon.
          >
          > Thank you so much.

          Hi Debbie & Corinna,
          I missed the original email on this. I'd be willing to help, although my Cyrillic skills are pretty limited. If nothing else I should help with Wolica since that's "my" village.

          > Corinna C wrote:
          >> I can probably get it done by the end of the week. It doesn't sound like it's a whole lot. My cyrillic translit. skills good. Now if I could only master Ukrainian language in practice, my life would be so much easier. LOL!
          >>
          >> --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...> wrote:
          >>> Corinna mentioned the Rusyn/Lemko/Ruthenian/Greek Catholic cross in a
          >>>
          >>> Ann Poslosky and I have transcribed headstones from three area
          >>> cemeteries and those lists are ready to be "published" on Poland Gen
          >>> Web (there, because that's where Polish cemetery info has been
          >>> corralled). The problem is that all three of these cemeteries have
          >>> some Cyrillic headstones which need to be transliterated/transcribed.
          >>> I am looking for volunteers to do this. There are several aids on the
          >>> internet that can be used to do the transliteration. It's OK if you
          >>> can't transliterate/transcribe _all_ of the Cyrillic headstones in a
          >>> cemetery.
          >>>
          >>> If no one volunteers to help with the Cyrillic headstones then I will
          >>> publish the lists as is, with a notation that the Cyrillic headstones
          >>> were not transcribed.
          >>>
          >>> Here's the information on the three cemeteries:
          >>> RZEPEDZ
          >>> 193 headstones total.
          >>> Approx. 85 headstones in Cyrillic.
          >>> 10 headstones are either blank or worn away.
          >>> 98 in Polish and already transcribed.
          >>>
          >>> PIELNIA
          >>> Approx 90 headstones on the right side of the cemetery.
          >>> 6 are in Cyrillic and faint.
          >>> 84 in Polish and already transcribed.
          >>>
          >>> WOLICA
          >>> About 200 headstones total.
          >>> 14 are in Cyrillic.
          >>> 30 are either unmarked or so worn away as to be illegible.
          >>> 156 are in Polish and already transcribed.
          >>>
          >>> Thanks
          >>> Debbie

        • Corinna C
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 26, 2010
            No problem! Yes, perhaps email Philip the Wolica stuff and I'll do the rest, or however it works out.

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 26, 2010

              LOL I think you and I agreed that you'd do the whole cemetery. NOW I
              remember that! I'll write you off-list about how to do this.

              > On Oct 26, 2010, at 9:56 AM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:
              >
              >> Corinna,
              >>
              >> This is very generous of you. I will send the info this afternoon.
              >>
              >> Thank you so much.
              >
              > Hi Debbie & Corinna,
              > I missed the original email on this. I'd be willing to help, although my Cyrillic skills are pretty limited. If nothing else I should help with Wolica since that's "my" village.
              >
              > Cheers
              >

              >> Corinna C wrote:
              >>> I can probably get it done by the end of the week. It doesn't sound like it's a whole lot. My cyrillic translit. skills good. Now if I could only master Ukrainian language in practice, my life would be so much easier. LOL!

            • peekaboobrat
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 31, 2010
                BEDNARCZYK MOSKALEWICZ BURNATOWSKI are three of my ancestors. The oldest surname begins with Rad----- I think. The names were changed in America. Please send me a copy of the Pielnia Tombstone list or photos. I will then be able to connect other surnames where possible peekaboobrat at yahoo dot com
                It's been several yeras of searches. Recently I was hit by an hydrplaning vehcle, fainted a few days later and in Sep tore two muscles in my dupa...lol
                Needless to say I need to read previous website postings. Can anyone tell me if there were posts on Pielnia, that area or my surnames?
                peekaboobrat at yahoo dot com

                --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...> wrote:

                > Corinna mentioned the Rusyn/Lemko/Ruthenian/Greek Catholic cross in a
                >
                > Ann Poslosky and I have transcribed headstones from three area
                > cemeteries and those lists are ready to be "published" on Poland Gen
                > Web (there, because that's where Polish cemetery info has been
                > corralled). The problem is that all three of these cemeteries have
                > some Cyrillic headstones which need to be transliterated/transcribed.
                > I am looking for volunteers to do this. There are several aids on the
                > internet that can be used to do the transliteration. It's OK if you
                > can't transliterate/transcribe _all_ of the Cyrillic headstones in a
                > cemetery.
                >
                > If no one volunteers to help with the Cyrillic headstones then I will
                > publish the lists as is, with a notation that the Cyrillic headstones
                > were not transcribed.
                >
                > Here's the information on the three cemeteries:
                > RZEPEDZ
                > 193 headstones total.
                > Approx. 85 headstones in Cyrillic.
                > 10 headstones are either blank or worn away.
                > 98 in Polish and already transcribed.
                >
                > PIELNIA
                > Approx 90 headstones on the right side of the cemetery.
                > 6 are in Cyrillic and faint.
                > 84 in Polish and already transcribed.
                >
                > WOLICA
                > About 200 headstones total.
                > 14 are in Cyrillic.
                > 30 are either unmarked or so worn away as to be illegible.
                > 156 are in Polish and already transcribed.
                >
                > Thanks
                > Debbie

              • Walt/Gloria Elston
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 31, 2010
                  I think you can do a word search on the BT message list home. Is that
                  correct, Phillip?

                  Gloria

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 31, 2010
                    On Oct 31, 2010, at 11:35 PM, Walt/Gloria Elston wrote:

                    > I think you can do a word search on the BT message list home. Is that
                    > correct, Phillip?

                    You certainly can. The search box is on this page:

                    > On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 8:42 PM, peekaboobrat <peekaboobrat@...>wrote:
                    >

                    >> BEDNARCZYK MOSKALEWICZ BURNATOWSKI are three of my ancestors. The oldest
                    >> surname begins with Rad----- I think. The names were changed in America.
                    >> Please send me a copy of the Pielnia Tombstone list or photos. I will then
                    >> be able to connect other surnames where possible peekaboobrat at yahoo dot
                    >> com
                    >> It's been several yeras of searches. Recently I was hit by an hydrplaning
                    >> vehcle, fainted a few days later and in Sep tore two muscles in my
                    >> dupa...lol
                    >> Needless to say I need to read previous website postings. Can anyone tell
                    >> me if there were posts on Pielnia, that area or my surnames?
                    >> peekaboobrat at yahoo dot com
                    >>

                    >> --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com<bukowsko_triangle%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    >> Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...> wrote:
                    >>>
                    >>> Corinna mentioned the Rusyn/Lemko/Ruthenian/Greek Catholic cross in a
                    >>>
                    >>> Ann Poslosky and I have transcribed headstones from three area
                    >>> cemeteries and those lists are ready to be "published" on Poland Gen
                    >>> Web (there, because that's where Polish cemetery info has been
                    >>> corralled). The problem is that all three of these cemeteries have
                    >>> some Cyrillic headstones which need to be transliterated/transcribed.
                    >>> I am looking for volunteers to do this. There are several aids on the
                    >>> internet that can be used to do the transliteration. It's OK if you
                    >>> can't transliterate/transcribe _all_ of the Cyrillic headstones in a
                    >>> cemetery.
                    >>>
                    >>> If no one volunteers to help with the Cyrillic headstones then I will
                    >>> publish the lists as is, with a notation that the Cyrillic headstones
                    >>> were not transcribed.
                    >>>
                    >>> Here's the information on the three cemeteries:
                    >>> RZEPEDZ
                    >>> 193 headstones total.
                    >>> Approx. 85 headstones in Cyrillic.
                    >>> 10 headstones are either blank or worn away.
                    >>> 98 in Polish and already transcribed.
                    >>>
                    >>> PIELNIA
                    >>> Approx 90 headstones on the right side of the cemetery.
                    >>> 6 are in Cyrillic and faint.
                    >>> 84 in Polish and already transcribed.
                    >>>
                    >>> WOLICA
                    >>> About 200 headstones total.
                    >>> 14 are in Cyrillic.
                    >>> 30 are either unmarked or so worn away as to be illegible.
                    >>> 156 are in Polish and already transcribed.
                    >>>
                    >>> Thanks
                    >>> Debbie

                  • peekaboobrat
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 26, 2011
                      I'm interested in the transcribed tombstones from this year old email. Debbie, did you ever get around to the copying of the Pielnia Headstones or any others?
                      Thank you Joanie peekaboobrat at ya who dot come

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 27, 2011
                        Joanie,

                        All of the cemetery headstones listed below were transcribed and
                        placed on Poland Gen Web (that's where I put all of the headstones and
                        memorials regardless of location). However, only 1/2 of the Pielnia
                        cemetery was photographed/read/transcribed. Hopefully, I will have
                        time to finish it next year.
                        http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/polandarchives.html

                        Debbie