Re: Online Almanac for Talerhof Prison

  • Corinna C
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 25, 2010
      Gloria -

      These two men are from "Swiatkowa" as it states. Swiatkowa Wielka, your ancestral village, is (in fact) in the Jaslo district. It seems likely that there is a connection to your ancestors.

      See?

      > > 3547. KONSTANKEVICH Basil, p. 1868, a cross. (2 children) Svyatkova (Jaslo) arrest. 3 / 8 1914, Talergof. Spies. starostvo 21/12 communique of 1912 and 3 / August 1914 № 44/24/pr. TA III, 102.
      > >
      > > 3548. KONSTANKEVICH Ivan, p. 1864, the parish clerk, Svyatkova (Jaslo) arrest. 3 / 8 1914, Talergof. Spies. starostvo 21/12 communique of 1912 and 3 / August 1914 № 44/24/pr. TA III, 102.

      Don't worry - i have jailbirds in my family too (and they're not even Lemkos) - lame attempt at humor.

      In all seriousness, many Lemkos were imprisoned for "trumped up" charges, etc.

      Best,
      Corinna

      --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, "Corinna C" <wengryn@...> wrote:

      > OK - I see that the Yahoo Groups coding somehow doesn't allow cyrillic characters, so the entries in Russian came out as gobbeldy-gook. No problem. Gloria, I'll just email the whole entry to you in Russian with the English translation, though that did come out ok in this message and is probably what is most useful to you.
      >
      > Corinna
      >
      > --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, "Corinna C" <wengryn@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Gloria -
      > >
      > > I am not sure about google translate for the whole almanac, but I went ahead and looked it up for you myself.
      > >
      > > Here's what I found:
      > >
      > > 3547. КОНСТАНКЕВИЧ Василий, р. 1868, крест. (2 детей), Святкова (Ясло), арест. 3/8 1914, Талергоф. Спис. староства 21/12 1912 и реляция 3/8 1914 № 44/24/пр. ТА Ш, 102.
      > >
      > > 3548. КОНСТАНКЕВИЧ Иван, р. 1864, волостной писарь, Святкова (Ясло), арест. 3/8 1914, Талергоф. Спис. староства 21/12 1912 и реляция 3/8 1914 № 44/24/пр. ТА Ш, 102.
      > >
      > > Here are the translations from running it through Google Translate/Russian to English -
      > >
      > > 3547. KONSTANKEVICH Basil, p. 1868, a cross. (2 children) Svyatkova (Jaslo) arrest. 3 / 8 1914, Talergof. Spies. starostvo 21/12 communique of 1912 and 3 / August 1914 № 44/24/pr. TA III, 102.
      > >
      > > 3548. KONSTANKEVICH Ivan, p. 1864, the parish clerk, Svyatkova (Jaslo) arrest. 3 / 8 1914, Talergof. Spies. starostvo 21/12 communique of 1912 and 3 / August 1914 № 44/24/pr. TA III, 102.
      > >

      > > Hope this is helpful!
      > >
      > > Corinna
      > >

      > > --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, "Walt/Gloria Elston" <elstonwg@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Corinna, Is it possible that Google translate would work on this page? I am
      > > > not tech savy enough to know how to do it? I am looking for the name,
      > > > Konstankevich.
      > > >
      > > > Gloria

    • Walt/Gloria Elston
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 26, 2010
        Yes, that is the Konstankevich I am seeking. These gentlemen were from the
        village of my paternal grandfather. They were community leaders, the
        intelligentsia, which the Austrian government viewed as dangerous, hence
        their imprisonment. One of their descendents lives in Lviv and is writing a
        book about Talerhof. I have passed on your web link to him.

        Thanks, Gloria

        On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Corinna C <wengryn@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > Russophiles" were imprisoned during World War I.

        > read
        > > > it and suspect that you had ancestors who were imprisoned or who
        > perished
        > > > here, let me know and I'll look up the names for you to see if they are
        > > > listed. If I do find them, however, you might need additional
        > translation
        > > > services to read the information listed under your ancestor's name,
        > though
        > > > running it through "Google Translate" on Russian - English setting
        > generally
        > > > works pretty well.

        > > > Thanks, Corinna. THere's a Семенчук there, which might or might
        > not be my
        >
        > > > family. (Probably not.) I'll investigate.
        > > >
        > > > A few (very few!) common BT surnames have their Cyrillic spelling here

      • Corinna C
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 26, 2010
          Cool! Yes, please email me the web link. I would like to read about that.