Wolica Cemetery

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7 7:15 AM
      Gloria,

      If you plan to visit the Wolica cemetery (or any cemetery), bring
      jeans and tennis shoes. Though the weeds aren't too high, there are
      stinging nettles and they hurt! We started photographing the
      headstones yesterday at Wolica but it started to rain and is still
      raining. It is 4 pm here on Wed.

      Oh, I don't remember if you have been to Wolica before (or if you plan
      to stop there) but there is a new big yellow building on the left side
      of the road (in Wolica) as you drive from Sanok to Bukowsko. Turn left
      onto the road at this building and it will take you up to the church.

      FYI the yellow building is a place for area handicapped people to go
      where they make crafts. I'm not sure what the eventual plan is for all
      of these crafts but my suggestion to sell them at the festival and at
      the building itself was "voted" down. Doing this would mean more gmina
      employees??? Since I'm not in charge of promoting things here I
      didn't see any point in pursuing this with the wojt.

      I left your Dudynce list with Janina Nowaczek. However, she will only
      have one record as the Bukowsko USC does not have most of the records
      you want. Bukowsko Book #28 (Dudynce marriages) is now at the Sanok
      branch of the Rzeszow civil archive at #10 Rynek in Sanok. Give
      yourself a day or more if you want to get anything done at that
      archive. In fact, it might be a good idea to send an email requesting
      records be ready for you if you can give them a date when you will be
      there. I have not found any place that has Dudynce records as far back
      as 1839. BUT, I haven't checked the Polish Civil Archives' web site
      so you might want to do that. IF records exist they would either be at
      the Rzeszow or Przemysl civil archives.

      Good luck
      Debbie
    • elstonwe@att.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7 5:03 PM
        Debbie,  Thanks for the advice about nettles.  I will be going to the Dudynce Greek Cath and R. Cath cemeteries there.  Last time I visited, the weeds were hip high in the Greek Cath site. Probably full of mosquitoes this year.

        I appreciate your interceding with Janina.  I have sent letters to both Bukowsko USC and to the Sanok Archive with a list of requests...  In Bukowsko, I realize their records are more recent.  Finding the birth of my grandmother's sister and the death of her father are my goals. Dates should  be between 1890 and 1920.  Also I want to photograph as many Dudynce records as I can ( or allowed), to work on at home.

        Is the weather there cooler than expected?

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8 10:38 AM
          Gloria,

          The weather today was a delightful 70. However it is chilly at night.
          But we've had a couple of hot days too.

          Re: Dudynce records. Janina received your letter. I left my copy of
          what you sent me with her to give to you because I made notes on it. I
          don't know if you will accomplish much at this USC in one day. Hours
          are 7-3 and she's outta there right at 3! Do you have a gift for her
          that's not candy or booze? It's just her and her 93 year old mother,
          my closest cousin yet, at home and I know for a fact that she's got a
          candy stash. I think you know she doesn't speak any English. Maybe
          something "pretty".

          I am going to write you privately regarding the Dudynce records as a
          whole.

          Bring an umbrella.

          Debbie

        • elstonwe@att.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 8 1:48 PM
            Debbie,  I am bringing an assortment of salted nuts from our local "nuttery".  Hope that will be OK..  Rain gear is on my packing list.  I have a translator lined up who will go to Bukowsko with me.

            Thanks again,  Gloria

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 8 1:57 PM
              Gloria,

              Nuts are great! Who's your translator, just curious.

              Are you packed yet? Getting excited?
              Debbie

            • elstonwe@att.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 8 6:05 PM
                His name is Mr. Michalik.  The hotel found him for me.  I have been packing for two weeks, or at least I have everything spread out on one of my beds. Monitoring the weather there too.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 8 11:26 PM
                  Gloria,

                  Today it will be 80 and increasing from there.

                  Debbie