Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Re: Last call - Photos of Lemkos

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010
      Corinna,

      You wrote: "I fight the urge to bust in and ask them about their Lemko
      roots."

      Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

      Debbie

      Corinna C wrote:
      > Thanks Julie! I got the photo and will use it for the slideshow...it's great!
      >
      > Speaking of the Stefura surname, there are Stefuras in Beaver Falls, PA who own a real estate company = Frank Stefura Real Estate. Any relation?
      >
      > My parents live in that town, and every time I drive by that office building, I fight the urge to bust in and ask them about their Lemko roots.
      >
      > ;)

    • Corinna C
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010
        I knew you were going to say that! Oh, all right...I'll email them next week. LOL!

        --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...> wrote:

        > Corinna,
        >
        > You wrote: "I fight the urge to bust in and ask them about their Lemko
        > roots."
        >
        > Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
        >
        > Debbie
        >
        > Corinna C wrote:
        > > Thanks Julie! I got the photo and will use it for the slideshow...it's great!
        > >
        > > Speaking of the Stefura surname, there are Stefuras in Beaver Falls, PA who own a real estate company = Frank Stefura Real Estate. Any relation?
        > >
        > > My parents live in that town, and every time I drive by that office building, I fight the urge to bust in and ask them about their Lemko roots.
        > >
        > > ;)

      • Julie Finczak
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010
          Hi Corrina, Debbie and other members.

          My mom told me that many Stefuras from the Bukowsko area went to work in the Pennsylvania coal mines before and after the turn of the century and some did not return.

          Several years ago, I wrote to Frank Stefura to see if we were possibly related..  He responded and said that his family were from Slovakia, so we were not related.  At the time,  I didn't realize how close Karlykiw was to Slovakia and that there was a lot of freedom in crossing the border at an earlier time.
          I've seen several photographs of Frank Stefura and he looks just like many members in my family.  I do believe that there probably is some distant connection between us.  As well, I did not ask him if he was a Lemko.  I was hoping to one day in the future, (when I have time on my hands) to pursue this further.
          Please let me know if you ever do drop in to see him, if in fact he is a Lemko.
          Thank you for sharing this with the group, Corrina.

          Julie

          I wrote to Frank Stefura, of the real estate company to find out if we were related several years ago

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2010
            Julie,

            I know from my own family's stories and records as well as other
            records in the Bukowsko RC church that people from the BT area did in
            fact go back and forth to Slovakia. While it may have been a long walk
            for us, it wasn't for our ancestors.

            Debbie

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 2, 2010
              Hi Debbie,

              Thank you for sharing your findings about the movement of people between Slovakia and Bukowsko.
              I recall reading somewhere at one time, about how if a suitable marriage partner was not found in the surrounding villages of Bukowsko, marriages were arranged with partners in Slovakia.  As well, people also crossed over the border in both directions in search of farm work.

              Julie

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 2, 2010
                Julie,

                Yes, in fact the practice of Poles going to another country to look
                for work continues today, though as the Polish economy gets better,
                Poles are returning home.

                Debbie