Re: Iwan Danko

  • hetrick04
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2010
      I am researching my grandfather Iwan/John Danko. I received a copy of his Social Security Application for Account Number dated 12/2/1936. He lists Tourka, Poland as his place of birth. I am not sure if this is Turka. . I think it is in Galicia. Any info you might have would be helpful.

      Thank you,
      Janet (Danko)
    • Roman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2010
        Janet,

        This is likely "Turka" since you would be hard pressed to find the
        combination "ou" in Polish words. But be careful, there are several
        places named Turka in old Galicia.

        Roman

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2010
          Janet,

          Another document you might want to look for is his Voter's
          Registration. This should include information about where he was born.
          I think these are archived in the county records. Check with LDS
          Family History Library Catalog to see if the Mormons filmed them. You
          would do a better job searching through records than someone who
          doesn't know your ancestor from Adam.

          Debbie