U.S. 2010 Census

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2010
      The U.S. census will be starting soon. Among the questions is #9 which
      asks your race. If you do not match any of the official races they are
      counting this time, PLEASE pick _Other_ race, and fill-in: "SLAVIC",
      POLISH, UKRAINIAN, CZECH, RUSSIAN, LITHUANIAN, SLOVAK, JEWISH or whatever.

      This will aid us in studying demographics and also genealogy. Here is
      how. I know in my family some JAWORSKI became JAYES and some CHOJNACKI
      became HOYNE neither of which look Polish. In fact HOYNE is an Irish
      surname! By selecting _Other Race_: POLISH, for example, you can
      identify for genealogists and sociologists an ethnicity. This may also
      have positive ramifications for state/federal funding that may be
      beneficial for some medical or social agencies.

      If a descendant sees "JAYES", Other Race: POLISH, it may be an
      indicator to that person that this is an ancestor who changed the name
      and it might be another clue to support a familial relationship. Of
      course that descendant may not know if this JAYES was originally a
      JAWORSKI but it may help if other factors match.

      Let's make it a campaign to fill in question #9. Do not remain
      'race-less', pick some ethnicity! Pick 'GENEALOGIST'. Pick something!

      This is our Census, stand-up and be counted!

      (Suggested by C. Michael Eliasz from another list and passed along
      with permission. The names are from my family however.)